• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Flamingo purchase

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Someone told me to put thread into this category.

I am new to TUG. I have been to a few timeshare presentations to Hilton, Holiday Inn and Wyndham. I was in contract with Hilton for $13k and rescinded my offer. I liked the Hilton program and decided to buy a resale timeshare. I am in contract with RedWeek for Flamingo 5,000 annual points for $1,300 + closing at title company. The maintenance fees are $1,049 annually which seem high after looking at TUG. I should have done more research and looked at TUG earlier. :wall:Any thoughts on the deal or MF?

The contract says 90 days to close. Does it really take this long or quicker? Has anyone else bought through RedWeek?

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am new to TUG. I have been to a few timeshare presentations to Hilton and Wyndham. I was in contract with Hilton for $13k and rescinded my offer. I liked the Hilton program and decided to buy a resale timeshare. I am in contract with RedWeek for Flamingo 5,000 annual points for $1,300 + closing at title company. The maintenance fees are $1,049 annually which seem high after looking at TUG. I should have done more research and looked at TUG earlier. :wall:Any thoughts on the deal or MF?

The contract says 90 days to close. Does it really take this long or quicker? Has anyone else bought through RedWeek?

Can be quicker, can be longer. Most of my HGV have closed in 60-90 days. I've had two of the 5 take significantly longer due to "issues" with the closing company.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Can be quicker, can be longer. Most of my HGV have closed in 60-90 days. I've had two of the 5 take significantly longer due to "issues" with the closing company.

The closing company is "Timeshare Closings for Less"

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

I am new to TUG. I have been to a few timeshare presentations to Hilton and Wyndham. I was in contract with Hilton for $13k and rescinded my offer. I liked the Hilton program and decided to buy a resale timeshare. I am in contract with RedWeek for Flamingo 5,000 annual points for $1,300 + closing at title company. The maintenance fees are $1,049 annually which seem high after looking at TUG. I should have done more research and looked at TUG earlier. :wall:Any thoughts on the deal or MF?

You were wise to rescind. Did you rescind before or after reading TUg?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

I bought at the Flamingo last summer. This was through Redweek, but I used their closing company. We submitted our offer on June 14, the contract was signed by both parties on July 10th (the sellers waited the full 10 days to sign) and we sent our funds Sept 1st and had our deed Sept 24th. I called Oct 9th to set up our account and we were ready to book (which we did a week later).

Being that this is your first purchase, I think it’s wise to have help from a broker or a place like Redweek over eBay. Sometimes you have to pay a little more up front to get that piece of mind.

I think that platinum is always the way to go, but you’ve purchased it and i don’t think it’s a horrible deal. Your MF’s are on the high side ($0.20 per point), and there are platinum units that have MF’s that are similar. Could you have gotten a better MF per points ratio? Sure, but maybe not for your price point. You didn’t purchase from a developer so you are ahead of the game there. It’s yours and enjoy the vacations with it. HGVC is a great system and if you do your research, you can make those 5000 points into a lot of memories very easily.

On piece of advice, spend the $15 and join Tug, the reviews alone are worth it.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I bought at the Flamingo last summer. This was through Redweek, but I used their closing company. We submitted our offer on June 14, the contract was signed by both parties on July 10th (the sellers waited the full 10 days to sign) and we sent our funds Sept 1st and had our deed Sept 24th. I called Oct 9th to set up our account and we were ready to book (which we did a week later).

Being that this is your first purchase, I think it’s wise to have help from a broker or a place like Redweek over eBay. Sometimes you have to pay a little more up front to get that piece of mind.

I think that platinum is always the way to go, but you’ve purchased it and i don’t think it’s a horrible deal. Your MF’s are on the high side ($0.20 per point), and there are platinum units that have MF’s that are similar. Could you have gotten a better MF per points ratio? Sure, but maybe not for your price point. You didn’t purchase from a developer so you are ahead of the game there. It’s yours and enjoy the vacations with it. HGVC is a great system and if you do your research, you can make those 5000 points into a lot of memories very easily.

On piece of advice, spend the $15 and join Tug, the reviews alone are worth it.

Thanks for the info. It is definitely cheaper to travel with a timeshare for $1200 per year with 8 people. I'm hoping to squeeze in 2 vacations on weekdays a year. LOL

I was skeptical about the whole process so I even picked Redweek verified transactions with a broker and offered around 50% asking price. I backed out on a prior Marbrisa offer because they increased MF on contract and said website was outdated. I lost trust in that broker. The increased MF became more than Flamingo by $250 for same 5k points. CA is raising minimum wage to $15/hr so annual MF increases may be higher.

What do you use the Tug membership for? Just wondering as a newbie.

How much was your Flamingo purchase last summer? How many points and MF?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Susie Bell at Timeshare Closings for Less, is awesome. We closed on HGVC Paradise in less than 6 weeks (46 days) including a week-long hurricane office closure because Susie was so efficient. Would use again.

TUG membership is the best $15 you will spend for timeshares. There are closed forum and reviews only open to members but mostly pay it forward if you find the reviews and advice helpful to you.

Good luck with your property search.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the info. It is definitely cheaper to travel with a timeshare for $1200 per year with 8 people. I'm hoping to squeeze in 2 vacations on weekdays a year. LOL

I was skeptical about the whole process so I even picked Redweek verified transactions with a broker and offered around 50% asking price. I backed out on a prior Marbrisa offer because they increased MF on contract and said website was outdated. I lost trust in that broker. The increased MF became more than Flamingo by $250 for same 5k points. CA is raising minimum wage to $15/hr so annual MF increases may be higher.

What do you use the Tug membership for? Just wondering as a newbie.

How much was your Flamingo purchase last summer? How many points and MF?

Although I wanted to pay it forward, the resort reviews are great. They are some of the most unbiased reviews out there and they help me decide where we we will go next.

I got a deal last summer with my unit. I purchased a 2 bedroom platinum unit for $4500. After all of the closing costs and HGVC fees, it was around $6000 out the door. Getting ready to book next summers vacation next month!

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Although I wanted to pay it forward, the resort reviews are great. They are some of the most unbiased reviews out there and they help me decide where we we will go next.

I got a deal last summer with my unit. I purchased a 2 bedroom platinum unit for $4500. After all of the closing costs and HGVC fees, it was around $6000 out the door. Getting ready to book next summers vacation next month!
Daytrooper, could I ask where your 2 bedroom platinum for $4500 is located, and what are the MF's.

pacman

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am new to TUG. I have been to a few timeshare presentations to Hilton, Holiday Inn and Wyndham. I was in contract with Hilton for $13k and rescinded my offer. I liked the Hilton program and decided to buy a resale timeshare. I am in contract with RedWeek for Flamingo 5,000 annual points for $1,300 + closing at title company. The maintenance fees are $1,049 annually which seem high after looking at TUG. I should have done more research and looked at TUG earlier. :wall:Any thoughts on the deal or MF?

Like dayooper, I recently purchased a 2 bdrm platinum at Flamingo, paying slightly more than $4500. I think you got a decent deal for the 5000 points. Paid less up front, but more per point in MF. There have been numerous discussions on gold vs platinum, so its not all black & white.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Daytrooper, could I ask where your 2 bedroom platinum for $4500 is located, and what are the MF's.

At The Flamingo. The MF’s this year was $1049.

I have learned that it was kind of a unicorn purchase. There were several around the same price (from $3900 - $4500) last summer. I haven’t seen any that low since.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I am new to TUG.

Welcome and congratulations. We really have some great HGVC TUG members who all want to share their knowledge. So, feel free to ask questions. I would add that you didn't purchase the high prices from the developers, so that is good.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
What do you use the Tug membership for?
Even if the answer was "nothing in particular, I would consider the $15/year a good value just for providing the structure here for all of us to share information and advice about timeshares. There is a wealth of information here, freely given to everyone, including guests.

Members do have more value added - like detailed reviews of timeshare resorts. And free classified ads for in the Marketplace for selling, and exchanging. There is also a members-only forum where members post time sensitive high-value exchange options that are available on RCI or Interval International for a short period of time until someone snaps them up.