• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Flamingo assessment

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked the annual dues section on the website and there is an amount of approx. $70 per unit for improvements. It mentions nothing about refurbishing the units as previously discussed here. It talks about this amount being used for pool improvements. Is there still talk about refubishing the units themselves, and will there be an additional assessment for that?

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received a bill this week for $65.16 for a 2-br unit at the Flamingo HGVC.

The accompanying letter says that $110 will be added to the next two annual billings in 2008 and 2009. So Pronkster, you'll be paying a total of $285.16 for the Special Assessment, not just the $70 you mentioned....

According to the letter, they planned on ripping up the showers and decided to replace the floor tile & cabinets at the same time by charging us the special assessment. They will also be replacing (with funds from the Capitol Reserve Fund) carpet, paint, furniture, art, bedding, window coverings and appliances. With the special assessment funds, they plan to replace the bahroom & kitchen floor tile, cabinets, countertops, sinks & fixtures.

So, no Pronkster, this is not a Special Assessment to pay for pool improvements...This is for the upgrades that are on the website.

I will expect that LV Hilton owners should plan on getting their own Special Assessment to pay for similar upgrades, since after Flamingo is done, LV Hilton will be the bottom of the HGVC timeshare foodchain in Las Vegas..I stayed at LV Hilton HGVC last week & it has major shower problems there. I have never had a unit at LV Hilton where the shower door will close completely. Just what was their problem in building those?

Personally, I would have prferred to have voted on this rather than having the HOA decide and shove it down our throats...

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At least they are spreading out the assessment so it's not such a bite all at once.

Having done a whole bunch of remodling in recent years, the explanation of what they are doing with the bathrooms makes sense.

My fear of course is they will come up with some other reason to continue with the extra $110 beyond 2009.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will expect that LV Hilton owners should plan on getting their own Special Assessment to pay for similar upgrades, since after Flamingo is done, LV Hilton will be the bottom of the HGVC timeshare foodchain in Las Vegas..I stayed at LV Hilton HGVC last week & it has major shower problems there. I have never had a unit at LV Hilton where the shower door will close completely. Just what was their problem in building those?

As an owner at the Karen Street property (LV Hilton), I suspect the same as you. We will eventually be getting upgrade assessment notices sometime in the future. They changed the bedding, the furniture etc a year or so ago, but the kitchen is very dated in comparison now to the newer properties. In the times I have stayed there, I don't remember any problems with the shower though.

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I received the letter, along with the bill today. Actually I should say bills as I own 4 units there. Yes, it is nice they are spreading it out over 3 years.

SallyMagoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our assessment is about $260, paying $60 now and $100 for each of the next two years. We own a 1 bedroom platinum at the Flamingo.

While I don't like it, and also suspect the $100 additional per year could become permanent, I have to compare it to what Marriott did to us with respect to our Vail summer studio (Birch building).

We had an assessment a few years ago for about $800 to upgrade the interiors in the Birch building. This year, we've been hit with an additional $320 or so for improvements to the club building. (All of these assessments were payable over a couple years, so that helps). Mind you, this is for a studio in the summer. Larger units in ski season were hit with much higher assessments.

The only reason we keep the Marriott is because it has traded for ski weeks in the past and it can pull last minute trades for other Marriotts; e.g., we traded for the Marriott in France last Fall.

I like the way Hilton treats us much better.

Last edited:

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner at the Karen Street property (LV Hilton), I suspect the same as you. We will eventually be getting upgrade assessment notices sometime in the future. They changed the bedding, the furniture etc a year or so ago, but the kitchen is very dated in comparison now to the newer properties. In the times I have stayed there, I don't remember any problems with the shower though.

The last two times I've stayed at HGVC LV Hilton, the shower door would not close completely in the master bathroom. While the shower spray didn't go toward the door it still dumped water on the bathroom floor..So I'd say that this location has a "shower problem" too..

i39249

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shower Issue

I stayed at the HGVC @ Las Vegas Hilton last year and did not experience any problems with the shower door. I agree that the kitchen is a little out dated compared with the other newer properties, however everything worked fine and it was in good condition. It was clean and I enjoyed the stay tremendously.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the LV Hilton is still in great shape. I've never had a problem.

I didn't realize that they could just impose a special assessment without a vote, however. I am all for it. I love the virtual model and I think $300 or so it a great deal. If I didn't stay at this property, I wouldn't want the remodel. but since I stay often, it's worth it.

I wouldn't compare Hilton and Marriott. Hilton is much more owner friendly. They seem to make many moves that benefit owners.

Hilton built properties have reasonable maint fees for the quality, especially when compared to Marriott.