• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Cancelling Oahu Reservation

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC will be cancelling Oahu Reservation up to 30 June 2020. Below is the email I got. Also, it looks like Ala Moana has cancelled the 4th of July Fireworks that they do at Magic Island / Ala Moana Beach Park.

Hilton Grand Vacations
May 20, 2020
Dear HGV Club Members and Guests,
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the temporary suspension of operations at select Hilton Grand Vacations properties in Oahu have been extended through June 30, 2020. The properties impacted are:
  • Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Kalia Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations Club
  • Lagoon Tower by Hilton Grand Vacations Club

We are reaching out to you because you have an upcoming reservation that will be impacted by this suspension of operations.
  • If you are an HGV Club Member, we will automatically cancel your reservation. There will be no cancellation penalties and we will refund any applicable booking fee within 3 business days. To make a new reservation, visit the Club website today. Through May 31, we've eliminated fees when booking a 2020 or 2021 vacation online. (Club booking windows apply.)
  • If you are a hotel guest and booked via Hilton.com, your reservation with Hilton will automatically be cancelled. To make a new reservation, please visit Hilton.com or call 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-445-8667).
  • If you made your reservation through a third party, such as Expedia, or a timeshare exchange, you will need to contact your booking provider directly for any changes or cancellations.
  • If you are an HGV Package Holder, please reach out to us by calling 800-482-0047 (9 a.m. – 9 p.m. ET, seven days a week) or emailing customerservice@hgv.com for assistance with rebooking your vacation.

Please know that the safety and well-being of our Club Members, guests and HGV Team Members is our number one concern. We remain ready to assist you during this uncertain time.
Best wishes,
Hilton Grand Vacations​

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I am not sure I agree with this unilateral action taken by HGVC. It should be up to the owner to choose to cancel his/her own reservation. What if the traveler has 2 weeks booked at HGVC as part of a 4 week trip (speaking hypothetically). That traveler could decide that they are willing to do the 14 day quarantine at HGVC and then use the balance of the shortened trip for sightseeing. The bottom line is that it should be up to the guest not the resort to make that decision.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were supposed to go to Maui, leaving today, in fact. This was a regular Westin hotel stay. They cancelled our reservation about a month and a half ago. I haven't seen when they plan to reopen.

Cheers.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I am not sure I agree with this unilateral action taken by HGVC. It should be up to the owner to choose to cancel his/her own reservation. What if the traveler has 2 weeks booked at HGVC as part of a 4 week trip (speaking hypothetically). That traveler could decide that they are willing to do the 14 day quarantine at HGVC and then use the balance of the shortened trip for sightseeing. The bottom line is that it should be up to the guest not the resort to make that decision.
Are you suggesting that they should have to keep the entire resort open and operating with staff, cleaning, security, etc., because they may have 8 or 10 visitors spread among their buildings, most of whom would not be allowed to leave their room?

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Are you suggesting that they should have to keep the entire resort open and operating with staff, cleaning, security, etc., because they may have 8 or 10 visitors spread among their buildings, most of whom would not be allowed to leave their room?

I know, I understand the point you are making - it is a terrible situation all the way around. But what happens to those owners who lost their weeks? It seems like they should be made whole in some fashion. I just don’t know what the solution should be.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I know, I understand the point you are making - it is a terrible situation all the way around. But what happens to those owners who lost their weeks? It seems like they should be made whole in some fashion. I just don’t know what the solution should be.

I am not sure what you mean by owners who lost their weeks? HGVC is restoring points and refunding reservation fees. I don't know how they are going to deal with home weeks in a different year. Since I never use home week it is not an issue that I focus on.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

In reality the decision to close the resort is based on the decision of the Governor to continue to entend the quarantine and not provide a date when it will end. Initially you could book Hilton Hawaiian Village as of May 24th. Then it was June 18th. Now it is July 1st. Most probably it will be pushed back again. I don't disagree with the governor given that there is still no testing in place of all passengers before boarding planes for Hawaii but his decision forces HGVC to make the feasible decision to not start up operations.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
I am not sure what you mean by owners who lost their weeks? HGVC is restoring points and refunding reservation fees. I don't know how they are going to deal with home weeks in a different year. Since I never use home week it is not an issue that I focus on.

That’s a good point about restoration of points - at least you can save those points into another year if needed. We own a legacy week in MVC and we lost our Hawaii week this year. We received a late deposit II certificate that doesn’t come close to replacing what we lost.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s a good point about restoration of points - at least you can save those points into another year if needed. We own a legacy week in MVC and we lost our Hawaii week this year. We received a late deposit II certificate that doesn’t come close to replacing what we lost.
I am a HGVC person so I don't know the MVC or II system. I know that HGVC has made its members whole as far as their system is concerned. They have even given free points saving to the following year which usually costs over $100. What they haven't done, which no one can do, is restore your lost your March to whenever nice vacation due to this virus. All we can do is make up for it with more future vacations using those points. Since we are retired vacation time is not an issue, however, age is coming into focus as an issue since life is not endless.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I truly lost a week... Marriott Maui that was scheduled, well, today. No way to get a week in a 2-BR OF in 2020. But the issue, as I see it, is who was or does assume the risk, me or Marriott? If they are assuming the risk, then yes, they should make me whole. But if I'm assuming the risk, they have no duty to me. In the TS world I believe we all, as owners, assume the risk of our week(s) not being usable for reasons like this. Any consideration they give is a customer service decision, not an obligation or duty. In the case of Marriott, that meant a "deal" with depositing the week in Interval International to create an opportunity to obtain a week somewhere before Dec. 16 2021.

Comparing Hilton to Marriott, it's really more a function of the system. I'm not a DC points owner with Marriott, so it was a points-based system vs. a weeks system. I could cancel and get all my Hilton points back, and move them to 2021. Can't do that so easily with a weeks-based ownership. But, again, that's a risk I assumed in choosing not to enroll and obtain points value for my Marriott.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I am a HGVC person so I don't know the MVC or II system. I know that HGVC has made its members whole as far as their system is concerned. They have even given free points saving to the following year which usually costs over $100. What they haven't done, which no one can do, is restore your lost your March to whenever nice vacation due to this virus. All we can do is make up for it with more future vacations using those points. Since we are retired vacation time is not an issue, however, age is coming into focus as an issue since life is not endless.

Did HGVC announce they were saving 2020 points to 2021 for free? Did not see that posted.

I think all of us would love it as I have quiet a few points leftover in 2020 now. HGVC cancelled a stay I booked from June 6 through Aug 14 in Lagoon 2br Premiere. That is a bunch of points that I cannot use in 2020. Would love to not pay the save fee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Did HGVC announce they were saving 2020 points to 2021 for free? Did not see that posted.

I think all of us would love it as I have quiet a few points leftover in 2020 now. HGVC cancelled a stay I booked from June 6 through Aug 14 in Lagoon 2br Premiere. That is a bunch of points that I cannot use in 2020. Would love to not pay the save fee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't recall them agreeing to do that for free. But in the scheme of things, that's a pretty minor cost. I've got a bunch of tickets on Hawaiian Airlines that they won't refund despite the flights being canceled. Well over $1k's worth, for daughter, son, step-daughter, step-son (we were going over for a wedding). They say we get vouchers. That's really not likely to help my grown kids much.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they cancelled your flight they have to refund your money. Don't agree to the vouchers.

Right. When you talk to them mention that they are in violation of DOT rules and you will file a grievance as well as initiate a credit card chargeback due to nin-delivery of service.

Cheers.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Right. When you talk to them mention that they are in violation of DOT rules and you will file a grievance as well as initiate a credit card chargeback due to nin-delivery of service.

Cheers.
I've done all that. They have refused a refund 3 times. I've quoted the DOT enforcement decisions. I've filed a DOT complaint. A higher level complaint with HA. And a credit card dispute for all the charges. I have refused to take the voucher. And I've kept a printout of all the Chat sessions with HA.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've done all that. They have refused a refund 3 times. I've quoted the DOT enforcement decisions. I've filed a DOT complaint. A higher level complaint with HA. And a credit card dispute for all the charges. I have refused to take the voucher. And I've kept a printout of all the Chat sessions with HA.
What a pain. But hang in there and keep on fighting.

You may already know all of this and gone through all of these steps, but this article gives a very comprehensive list of what to do if an airline refuses to refund.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adviso...nt-refund-your-cancelled-flight/#6f31158b711e

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I filed a DOT complaint and included the full transcript of the Chat session. But I've not heard back from DOT.
I read a comment somewhere, or maybe it was in the article I posted, where someone said after they filed the DOT complaint they had things resolved within 60 days I think.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I read a comment somewhere, or maybe it was in the article I posted, where someone said after they filed the DOT complaint they had things resolved within 60 days I think.
From what I hear DOT is receiving a volume of complaints daily they typically get almost yearly. That doesn't surprise me.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I hear DOT is receiving a volume of complaints daily they typically get almost yearly. That doesn't surprise me.

Yeah, A travel blog indicated that the complaints they receive in a given time period (and I don't recall the specific time period) had gone from 1500 to over 25,000. So, whatever the time period, the increase is at least 17x. Likely really more.

The credit card route is likely to be more fruitful. So far, I've had success with AA, AS and WN (although AA Vacations, in particular) are in the 6-7 week range).

Cheers.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yeah, A travel blog indicated that the complaints they receive in a given time period (and I don't recall the specific time period) had gone from 1500 to over 25,000. So, whatever the time period, the increase is at least 17x. Likely really more.

The credit card route is likely to be more fruitful. So far, I've had success with AA, AS and WN (although AA Vacations, in particular) are in the 6-7 week range).

Cheers.
So my wife -- who has a magical touch I will NEVER have -- was able to get refunds from Hawaiian Air for all the flights today. It took enormous patience as HA used every trick in the book -- including LONG waits on hold -- to get her to bail. But she has a lot of tools in her toolbox too. She had zero luck with the person that answered the phone initially. She said she wanted to talk to a supervisor. That led to 45 minute delays on hold. Twice. But she was undeterred. She literally spent 3 hours on the phone getting them to agree to refund 3 one-way fares. They key was asking for a supervisor.

In contrast, American refunded all the flights with no argument. A bit of a pain web-wise -- after canceling with the agent on the phone then you have to go to a website and enter your ticket number for each ticket. But it was 10x easier than HA.

Suffice to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed with HA and will schedule all flights that are not on miles/points from here on out on AA or one of its affiliates. I'm no Bill Gates, but I'm paying for seven people to fly RT in November, and going back again in March. So... screw you HA.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my wife -- who has a magical touch I will NEVER have -- was able to get refunds from Hawaiian Air for all the flights today. It took enormous patience as HA used every trick in the book -- including LONG waits on hold -- to get her to bail. But she has a lot of tools in her toolbox too. She had zero luck with the person that answered the phone initially. She said she wanted to talk to a supervisor. That led to 45 minute delays on hold. Twice. But she was undeterred. She literally spent 3 hours on the phone getting them to agree to refund 3 one-way fares. They key was asking for a supervisor.

mrs. brp has no patience for this. In this case, I'm the one with the magic touch. And I can put my phone on speaker, do toher things and wait on hold indefinitely :)
In contrast, American refunded all the flights with no argument. A bit of a pain web-wise -- after canceling with the agent on the phone then you have to go to a website and enter your ticket number for each ticket. But it was 10x easier than HA.

AA is easy definitely. AA Vacations is a bit more work, but never a denial to refund. Just a long wait as the Vacation packages have to be manually processed. We book those exclusively (as opposed to straight AA flights) as the packages are cheaper than the flights alone for the same itinerary/cabin and they have better status earning (and we have top AA status).

Suffice to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed with HA and will schedule all flights that are not on miles/points from here on out on AA or one of its affiliates. I'm no Bill Gates, but I'm paying for seven people to fly RT in November, and going back again in March. So... screw you HA.

I see you're in SoCal. Fly Alaska to Hawaii. They fly from most (all?) major CA airports to all 4 major islands. We fly exclusively AS to Hawaii. And they are great to deal with. Plus, they are moving into OneWorld, so their relationship with AA, once strong, then gutted, will be even better.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For what it's worth, Delta has been very responsive. Customer Service (not Reservations) answered my all emails (except one) promptly and yesterday, called me to apologize for the delay in getting back to me (they say they have a 4-week backlog) and fixed my issue (with a credit).

I told the CSR that I couldn't check my computer just then, as I was busy sauteing shrimp+scallops.