• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC cancellation

JamesWorkout

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hello we just sent our cancelation letter to HGVC. The transaction was done last Thursday in Las Vegas but the property is in Florida. We are praying the Florida law of 10 days to rescend the contract applies to us even though Nevada law states 5 days as we are no in the 6th day.

Anyone what takes precedent the property location 10 days or transaction location 5 days will apply?

Thank you

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where you sign the contract determines how long the law allows you to rescind. Not where the property is located. Good that you got the letter sent, but if they really want to play hardball, you might be a new owner. It might boil down to how hard the sales weasel wants to work to save a commission at the end of a month.

Keep us informed.

Jim

JamesWorkout

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Where you sign the contract determines how long the law allows you to rescind. Not where the property is located. Good that you got the letter sent, but if they really want to play hardball, you might be a new owner. It might boil down to how hard the sales weasel wants to work to save a commission at the end of a month.

Keep us informed.

Jim
We have documents stating 5 days to rescend for Nevada but we also have a document stating the property is in Orlando and we have 10 days to rescend in the same packet

Why would they include the 10-day cancellation option if it was not an option?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have documents stating 5 days to rescend for Nevada but we also have a document stating the property is in Orlando and we have 10 days to rescend in the same packet

Why would they include the 10-day cancellation option if it was not an option?
Maybe because one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing? I guess we will find out together.

So, how is it that you bought into a property in Florida and you were in Nevada? A resale perhaps?

JamesWorkout

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Thanks for your input
I found this
Any timeshare seller who is located within the State of Florida or an out of state seller who is selling a timeshare located in Florida must allow the purchaser of a timeshare ten (10) days after the purchase to cancel the timeshare contract without any penalty. The purchaser has the right to cancel the timeshare for any reason and without any penalty
721.10, Florida Statute

Hoping for the best
Thanks again

JamesWorkout

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Maybe because one hand doesn't know what the other one is doing? I guess we will find out together.

So, how is it that you bought into a property in Florida and you were in Nevada? A resale perhaps?

Simple explanation is we took advantage of a 3 Vegas weekend from HGVC and they sold us a property in Fl

Im not even totally clear how that works ...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple explanation is we took advantage of a 3 Vegas weekend from HGVC and they sold us a property in Fl

Im not even totally clear how that works ...
So, how much are you into it for? And what did you buy?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the state law that applies is where you signed the paperwork...not where the property is unfortunately.

certainly doesnt hurt to try however, they might still grant it if you raise a big enough of a stink!

JamesWorkout

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
the state law that applies is where you signed the paperwork...not where the property is unfortunately.

certainly doesnt hurt to try however, they might still grant it if you raise a big enough of a stink!

Thank you for the info
Would you suggest a phone call to a specific level of authority? or getting a lawyer involved? as our rescind letter will arrive today at hgvc
Thanks again

JamesWorkout

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
If the 5 days stands the letter was post marked 11 hours past deadline

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just have to wait and see what they do, might get lucky and they process it...however if it was postmarked a day late...they have no obligation to do so.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input
I found this
Any timeshare seller who is located within the State of Florida or an out of state seller who is selling a timeshare located in Florida must allow the purchaser of a timeshare ten (10) days after the purchase to cancel the timeshare contract without any penalty. The purchaser has the right to cancel the timeshare for any reason and without any penalty
721.10, Florida Statute

Hoping for the best
Thanks again
If you choose to challenge a decision made to hold you to the purchase, you would likely need a lawyer who is licensed to practice in Florida. I suppose that you could write another rescission letter, claiming that 'pursuant to Florida Statute 721.10' sellers outside Florida are required to allow a 10 day rescission period.' Or similar wording, but I think I'd wait for them to do the right thing. HGVC it surely aware of any statutes that govern their sales. I'm not a lawyer, and am not going to dig in the statutes to see if it applies, but on the surface, it appears you have a valid argument.

Jim

Cubby Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
This has been helpful. I bought 57th street in NYC and will rescind tomorrow within New York's 7 days. Based on price for every other year, and Bonus points I thought it was ok. Embracing buyers remorse I am now reading what I should have read earlier. I do like the property for visiting NYC but it seems I can get all benefits of ownership except bonus points for a lot less via buying a resale. It also seems cheaper to just rent on Hilton's hotel web site (although I would lose owners lounge). One thing I do not understand is why are the annual fees so different? The fees I was quoted were much higher than what I have reviewed on this site by others for more points. Thanks

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not uncommon for HGVC. We attend a sales presentation in Hawaii or Las Vegas and balk at the high price. So they suggest their Miami Beach timeshare with a lower cost and lower mf.

JamesWorkout

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Recieved a call this evening from HGVC the representative told me she would process my rescind paperwork but she had one question. Why did we cancel? She then gave a brief sales pich then I firmly said no and she said ok she would process the rescend by the end of the day.
Very thankful the info this group has provided me

Rescinded on 14k 3400 points biannual

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Wow, that is wonderful news.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
Recieved a call this evening from HGVC the representative told me she would process my rescind paperwork but she had one question. Why did we cancel? She then gave a brief sales pich then I firmly said no and she said ok she would process the rescend by the end of the day.

Good for you! Glad it worked out; if it doesn't feel right, don't do it, trust your intuition!

lvtraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagonita Lodge, Big Bear CA

Congrats!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent news! Also happy to hear that the caller just asked a question about why and did not try to do the hard sell to get you to keep it.

Many here recommend not talking to them following a rescind decision because of their tactics. I, on the other hand, encourage talking with them at this time as it can be fun to play with them. This one sounded like no fun at all :(

Cheers.

Sebastiane

Reaction score
Gotten a call tonight from HGVC the delegate disclosed to me she would process my repeal desk work yet she had one inquiry. For what reason did we drop? She at that point gave a short attempt to close the deal then I immovably said no and she said alright she would process the rescend before the day's over.