• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Affiliate Stability

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was recently offered 8400 platinum points on a 2 BR at Anderson Ocean from a reputable reseller for under $2,500 plus closing costs. Price seems to be in line with what we've seen. Not sure if this is a permanent thing but time will tell.

I've read old posts about Anderson, seems like they have historically been aggressive in picking up their option on ROFR but these last 12 months have been anything but typically so who knows but my concern is regarding the Affiliate status.

How often does an Affiliate drop from a program? Particularly HGVC. I'm not too keen on the idea of "owning" a property that goes solo or otherwise drops it's affiliated status.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I've owned for 15 years, and in that time, only one small affiliated resort decided to drop out of HGVC. The number of owners at that resort who joined HGVC (it was not mandatory) was very small. However, even though the resort dropped out of HGVC, HGVC still allowed HGVC owners there to have the option of using their week for HGVC points, but other HGVC members could not book at that resort with points any more.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be too concerned about Anderson dropping from HGVC.

Kurt

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hello All,

I was recently offered 8400 platinum points on a 2 BR at Anderson Ocean from a reputable reseller for under $2,500 plus closing costs. Price seems to be in line with what we've seen. Not sure if this is a permanent thing but time will tell.

I've read old posts about Anderson, seems like they have historically been aggressive in picking up their option on ROFR but these last 12 months have been anything but typically so who knows but my concern is regarding the Affiliate status.

How often does an Affiliate drop from a program? Particularly HGVC. I'm not too keen on the idea of "owning" a property that goes solo or otherwise drops it's affiliated status.
I will be shocked if that passes ROFR. It is a great price, unheard of for that many points with a lower MF at Anderson. Have you seen 8400 points for that price at Anderson before being you said price seems to be in line with what we’ve seen? I would think you saw it at real affiliates which have much higher mf. Anderson is not an affiliate where you have the choice to be a member of hgvc or not. Anderson membership is mandatory as it is part of the hgvc system.

Reactions: RX8

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

That is a great price, but I doubt it will pass ROFR. If you check rofr.net you will see most from Myrtle Beach has failed ROFR. The developer Grand Strand properties is involved in the ROFR process instead of HGVC.

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the assurances. Regarding the ROFR concern, I did take a look at ROFR site but all of those are for 2019 and earlier. The last 12 months have been an anomoly so I wouldn't be shocked if it passed and wouldn't be shocked if the developer bought it back.

I guess it really depends on how the agent lists it. I have to reimburse the seller for already paid 2021 MF's and if the agent includes that along with closing costs and their fees, it could place that buy back option closer to the $5000 range.

Going to push forward on it and see how it goes.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thanks for the assurances. Regarding the ROFR concern, I did take a look at ROFR site but all of those are for 2019 and earlier. The last 12 months have been an anomoly so I wouldn't be shocked if it passed and wouldn't be shocked if the developer bought it back.

I guess it really depends on how the agent lists it. I have to reimburse the seller for already paid 2021 MF's and if the agent includes that along with closing costs and their fees, it could place that buy back option closer to the $5000 range.

Going to push forward on it and see how it goes.

Absolutely you should push forward. You have nothing to lose if they exercise ROFR. It Probably won’t pass, but this is the time to try.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
At that low of an entry point the worst that could happen is this deal not passing ROFR. If it does pass and in the very unlikely event it left HGVC you haven’t lost much. Any idea what the developer has been selling these for up to now?

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys seem pretty sure that it won't pass. Has HGVC picked up their ROFR option on anything in the last few months?

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
You guys seem pretty sure that it won't pass. Has HGVC picked up their ROFR option on anything in the last few months?

I just had two deeds pass in November, a 7000 point 1BR Grand Platinum @ Elara and a 12,600 point EOY 1BR Premier Platinum @ Kings Land for roughly $5k each + closing costs. The difference you have is that HGVC waived on mine almost instantly, you have to have the developer pass on it and there doesn’t seem to be any recent history available. What does your “reputable seller” think?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I am recalling correctly it is the developer not Hgvc that can exercise ROFR.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I am recalling correctly it is the developer not Hgvc that can exercise ROFR.

I believe you are correct. IIRC, Strand Capital developed the four SC resorts and they hold the ROFR. The four SC resorts aren’t considered affiliate resorts, but Fee-for-Service. They were developed by a third party (Strand Capital), but marketed, sold and, with the exception of Anderson, managed by HGVC.

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info everyone. I kicked off the process. As part of my research, I always check out tax record after signing paperwork using the owner's name listed. Everything checks out and lines up from that perspective so far. Looks like foreclosure process started due to unpaid MF's but was stopped after being brought current.

More interesting than that though, the deed record also lists a specific unit number and week number (28).

This is the first time I've come across a deed that lists a specific week. I did a quick search but couldn't find much about deeded weeks for AOC. Anyone have any insight on this?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think all of the deeds for HGVC units, or at least that i have seen include a specific unit /week. Though usually that's just a record keeping item to make sure they don't sell more units / weeks than actually exist.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think all of the deeds for HGVC units, or at least that i have seen include a specific unit /week. Though usually that's just a record keeping item to make sure they don't sell more units / weeks than actually exist.

My Flamingo and a Boulevard deed I was thinking about taking on don’t mention any weeks. Maybe because Anderson was built by a 3rd party (Strand Capitol)?

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Flamingo and a Boulevard deed I was thinking about taking on don’t mention any weeks. Maybe because Anderson was built by a 3rd party (Strand Capitol)?
Same. I've pulled records for 3 other HGVC properties and this is the first time I've seen a specific week and unit listed. Its why it stood out to me.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Kohala suites, bay club and the district all list unit number and week number on the deeds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the info everyone. I kicked off the process. As part of my research, I always check out tax record after signing paperwork using the owner's name listed. Everything checks out and lines up from that perspective so far. Looks like foreclosure process started due to unpaid MF's but was stopped after being brought current.

More interesting than that though, the deed record also lists a specific unit number and week number (28).

This is the first time I've come across a deed that lists a specific week. I did a quick search but couldn't find much about deeded weeks for AOC. Anyone have any insight on this?
Did it pass?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nope. Posted it to ROFR. Ended up pushing it to 3BR 9600. Failed at around $5300 ( all fees included in purchase price submitted for ROFR).
Thank you for letting me know. Seems they are taking back everything. Trying to figure out a price for my 8400 July 4 week. I hate posting, selling and buyer gets disappointed. I will need to make a few calls to see if they have a direct buy back program which I doubt they do.

Msb1102

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was advised that they were being pretty aggressive there. Is there a reason you were looking to dump a lower MF unit?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I was advised that they were being pretty aggressive there. Is there a reason you were looking to dump a lower MF unit?
I moved to Florida and do not need as many points as I have. I used many of my points to go to Florida, never used the actual July 4th week. I also have Hgvc Marco Island weeks that are flex that I get 7000 points for if I don’t use the weeks. Even though higher mf for lower points I am more apt to use those week thus Anderson is the one to sell. Just trying to figure out what amount will pass rofr.