• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC $99 Vacation Guard

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this ad scrolling along the top of the page today and wanted to know if anyone has ever used it?

http://www.vacationguard.com/FAQ/HGVC/

If they're saying that for $99 I can get all my HGVC trips and related air fare and other trip expenses covered for my entire family for an entire year that's a pretty good deal. I bought Alaska Airlines trip insurance when I booked flights to Zihuatanejo and it was $33 per person.

If I own more than one week will they make me buy more than one membership/policy? Since HGVC pools your points under the same member number how would they really know what points/contract I used for the specific trip that I need to file a claim on?

Has anyone bought this AND had a claim? All it takes is one trip being interrupted or cancelled with a sick kid and this will pay for itself immediately (if I'm understanding it right). The fact that the ad is within the HGVC website gives me some confidence that Hilton has done their homework and believes this is something that is good/safe for their owners. :ponder:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I saw this ad scrolling along the top of the page today and wanted to know if anyone has ever used it?

If they're saying that for $99 I can get all my HGVC trips and related air fare and other trip expenses covered for my entire family for an entire year that's a pretty good deal. I bought Alaska Airlines trip insurance when I booked flights to Zihuatanejo and it was $33 per person.

If I own more than one week will they make me buy more than one membership/policy? Since HGVC pools your points under the same member number how would they really know what points/contract I used for the specific trip that I need to file a claim on?

Has anyone bought this AND had a claim? All it takes is one trip being interrupted or cancelled with a sick kid and this will pay for itself immediately (if I'm understanding it right). The fact that the ad is within the HGVC website gives me some confidence that Hilton has done their homework and believes this is something that is good/safe for their owners. :ponder:

Yes I have had Vacation Guard through HGVC for over 5 years and have had medical bills as well as a trip interuption due to a death in the family covered. While the paperwork they require is very specific and can be challenging to keep track of and obtain, they have paid all the claims as per their contract. Don't worry about keeping track of the points from your HGVC contracts, as long as you are using your HGVC points for any contract for the time you vacationing, you are covered. There may be policy on points from a prior or future year, however, that has never been an issue for me and I always have points left over from a prior year that I am using for a future vacation so I don't know how they could tell. However, I had the insurance for the prior year so that I don't know if it would be a problem even if it was brought up as an issue.

I would highly recommend it.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's quite a vote of confidence. Thanks for your feedback.

When you look at the cost of a trip and everything that could go wrong before, during, or after the trip on the way home $99 is virtually nothing for a full year of coverage. Since we live only 90 minutes from Valdoro (Breckenridge) we go up there all the time and stay for long weekends. If all those short trips as well as the long ones to various HGVC locations are covered AND assuming this is legitimate coverage it would be foolish to not pay the $99 since it could save you thousands if the s**t hits the fan.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would shop around. There are lots of companies with lots of different product offerings and pricing.

If You can get it for $100 through "hilton" you have to imagine that it probably costs around $50-80 bought elsewhere.

That being said, I would generally say that this type of insurance is a losing proposition depending on how much you annual MF are.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That being said, I would generally say that this type of insurance is a losing proposition depending on how much you annual MF are.

I think I'm looking at the full package of coverage and not just the MF reimbursement side of the policy. And I'm looking at the $99 as really being $20 or less per trip since we travel often. Besides trip cancellation and interruption coverage there is also all sorts of coverage for delays, lost luggage, dental and medical treatment, rental car accidents, emergency evacuation (which I worry about if traveling outside the US), etc.

While some of this stuff wouldn't cost you too much if you had to pay out of pocket, other things (like the medical care and rental car coverage) could save you from a catastrophic personal loss. So it's not just about getting your $1,000 MF back.

Last edited:

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If You can get it for $100 through "hilton" you have to imagine that it probably costs around $50-80 bought elsewhere.

You're probably right.........but HGVC putting their name on something gives me a lot of confidence over just Googling "Cheap Trip Insurance" and picking the low bidder. Personally I've used the hell out of home owners and medical insurance and thankfully have policies with very reputable companies who have covered what they should have.

When it comes to insurance I'm willing to pay a little extra to make sure the coverage is there when/if I need it. And if we're talking about paying $40 more a year and going with the company HGVC "picked" for us I think I'm fine with that. Although if you have any recommendations for alternates you'd trust please post them and I'll check them out as well.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're probably right.........but HGVC putting their name on something gives me a lot of confidence over just Googling "Cheap Trip Insurance" and picking the low bidder. Personally I've used the hell out of home owners and medical insurance and thankfully have policies with very reputable companies who have covered what they should have.

When it comes to insurance I'm willing to pay a little extra to make sure the coverage is there when/if I need it. And if we're talking about paying $40 more a year and going with the company HGVC "picked" for us I think I'm fine with that. Although if you have any recommendations for alternates you'd trust please post them and I'll check them out as well.

I have never bought timeshare insurance, but like all insurance, the name on the front doesn't matter, it is who is actually insuring and reinsuring. I then look at the license of the insurance company to sell the insurance.

There are some companies that will provide annual insurance for ALL travel (which might be worth it if you travel a lot on cruises ETC).

I would do some research but a quick google search found me CSA which will offer timeshare travel insurance (inclusive of exchange fees etc) for ~$65.

Of course I didn't read details. Remember, insurance is a commodity with price differences generally related to comission. Those who research pay less.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I buy this every year, but have never filed a claim. I did look arround, but seem to to recall there were only a two or three companies that cover timeshares. Think I bought mine straight from the issuing company, as HGVC does not do much, they are really just a conduit back to the issuer.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Guard has changed

I buy this every year, but have never filed a claim. I did look arround, but seem to to recall there were only a two or three companies that cover timeshares. Think I bought mine straight from the issuing company, as HGVC does not do much, they are really just a conduit back to the issuer.

I just got off the phone with both HGVC and Vacation Guard and the Vacation Guard underwriter who writes the policy has changed. The new underwriter is a Berkshire Hathaway Company. The coverage seemed similar and sounded like it would fulfill my needs so I went on the site to buy it. However, as a NY State resident I couldn't since NY State hasn't approved it yet to be sold.

I believe this is good worthwhile insurance and will cover ones timeshare vacation better than other insurance for less cost. However, I will have to wait for NY State to allow this to happen. Perhaps there is something that I am missing in the new insurance

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought it in the past and never had a claim. If I ever start flying to places again, I'll probably buy it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

:ponder:

We had trip insurance several years ago for a Disney Cruise (not HGVC related). The insurance covered airfare and miscellaneous because a family member needed unexpected surgery and could not travel. However we were surprised that Disney Cruise hassled us and we did not recover all of our deposit on the trip. Bottom line: Although we thought we were covered you need to read the fine print. This was very un-Disney especially when it involved a sick child with a medical letter. Even United graciously refunded our entire fare even though they advertise a processing fee. Caveat Emptor.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Guard has Reimbursed us as Promised

We had trip insurance several years ago for a Disney Cruise (not HGVC related). The insurance covered airfare and miscellaneous because a family member needed unexpected surgery and could not travel. However we were surprised that Disney Cruise hassled us and we did not recover all of our deposit on the trip. Bottom line: Although we thought we were covered you need to read the fine print. This was very un-Disney especially when it involved a sick child with a medical letter. Even United graciously refunded our entire fare even though they advertise a processing fee. Caveat Emptor.

We have had a trip interruption due to a death in the family as well as a number of medical bills one the last 6 years that Vacation Guard has reimbursed us for as the promised in their policy. You do need to read the policy carefully and have your documentation, but they do reimburse what they say. That is why I am disappointed that I can't buy it right now in NY State.