• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC 5,000 pt Week (resale) or Marriott St. Kitts

mazanecb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in HGVC vs Marriott. Does anyone have any good comparison info.

Is it ever possible to trade from HGVC into a Marriott resort (I know Hilton is RCI and Marriott is II).

Thanks!

Last edited:

msweaver

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an owner at both. I like the fact that HGVC is RCI and MCVI is II, so I can use either trading companies.

I think Marriott has far more quality inventory. Unfortunately, much of the HGVC managed properties don't quite measure up even to Hilton standards. However, the new HGVC properties being proposed are of the Hilton quality standard.

One major benefit to the HGVC is the points system, which you get as a resale purchaser. You even get the privilege of trading for HHonors points, although that is rarely an advantagous deal for owners. The downside to Hilton's internal trading is that they simply don't have as many resorts to trade to yet, but they are catching up.

If Marriott ever goes to a points-based internal trading system, I'll be really happy. In the mean time, I'm glad to have the choices by owning with two resort systems.

If I had to make a choice as to one, I'd still probably purchase at Marriott, since I tend to stay at my home resort most years, and I've found that trading into other Marriott's is fairly easy.

Good luck,
MW

mazanecb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info... I definitely get the same sense regarding the quality & quantity of Marriott resorts vs HGVC. Unfortunately I'll have to pick one system or the other but right now I lean towards the St. Kitts Marriott b/c it is an AMAZING resort and I'd be happy trading to any other Marriott when I didn't want to pay to fly to St. Kitts... not sure I can say the same with Hilton's limited offerings and I definitely won't go to Orlando often.

Have you ever had trouble using the Hilton Club Points in RCI? I have been told we could use 4,800 points for any 2 bedroom platinum but that seems hard to believe.

Bill4728

Reaction score
mazanecb said:
I am interested in HGVC vs Marriott. Does anyone have any good comparison info.

Is it ever possible to trade from HGVC into a Marriott resort (I know Hilton is RCI and Marriott is II).

Thanks!

There are many good threads on this board discussing Hilton and Marriott. If you want to compare buying a Marriott resale vs a HGVC resale. But they may not help you because that isn't the question you're asking. ( to find these thread use the search function)

You asked about buying HGVC resale vs buying a pre construction Marriott from Marriott. That is a totally different question.

Only buy directly from Marriott at a place you want to vacation. This is even more true when it costs you a ton a money to get to that location. (St Kitts)

If you want to trade a Hilton TS to get a Marriott, you can but you'll have to own a "Hilton Affiliate" like one of the Hiltons on Marco Island which allow you to belong to II as well as belong to HGVC. Or trade thru one of the secondary exchange companies like SFX.

Good luck to you.

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My only suggestion is to buy 7000 HGVC points instead of 5000. The maintenance fees are the same. I owned both Marriott and HGVC. I love both for different reason. HGVC, I can exchange to hotel points - important when we don't have kids. We travel over to Europe and Asia. - Now we use it for HGVC stays. I like the elite program so I have more choices of which resort to go.
Marriott is good but it is waiting game for II to confirm.

If I were to own only 1 timeshare, it will be HGVC for flexiblity and lower maintenance fees. St Kitts is high maintenance fees and taxes.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you are comparing at $7000 HGVC to a $30,000 or more Marriott purchase?

The HGVC built properties are as nice in quality as most Marriotts. I can;t speak for the affliates.

and Yes, 4800 points will get you any 2bd prime week in RCI.
3500 points for any 1Bd

mazanecb

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Marriott St. Kitts week we are looking at is $16,400... not 30k. However it does have a high MF of $960 and I just found out that that does NOT include taxes which are "projected" to be another $200.

Given that whopping ~$1,200 MF I don't think St. Kitts can ever make sense when compared to Hilton.

msweaver

TUG Member
Reaction score
The main reason I purchased the HGVC in addition to the Marriott was to try the points trading system, and I was able to get 5,000 points for $7,000, which I think is a pretty good deal, considering that Hilton is selling the same rooms at a newer resort in Orlando for over $20K.

I've never traded my unit through RCI, but I'm told that you exchange 4,800 HGVC points for a red 2 bedroom. When I asked the resort management what kind of trading power that gets you in RCI, they said that since HGVC offers usch high quality, the trading power is high. Of course, that's from the horse's mouth, so take it with some salt.

Bottom line, I think a purchase at a HGVC resort in Orlando is one of the best deals around. You might also consider Sheraton Vistana Villages, which offers a similar points trading system, and the Starwood Vacation Network offers more resorts to trade into. It will be a few more years for Hilton to add some more choice.

Good luck,
Mike

Steve

Reaction score
As a Hilton shareholder, I receive their annual report. In the most recent one, they indicated that their main focus for timeshare development continues to be Orlando, Las Vegas, and Hawaii. I was disappointed to read that.

Of course, they do have the new affiliate resort in Carlsbad, CA coming online soon...and there will certainly be others. But I don't think Hilton will ever catch up with Marriott when it comes to timeshares. Marriott is always several steps ahead. As the owner of both a Hilton managed week and a Marriott week, I wish Hilton would do a lot more building in new locations.

If you want exchanges into great resorts, why limit yourself to a choice between the new Marriott on St. Kitt's versus a Hilton? I'd buy a resale week at a Marriott here in the US. They trade great in II...and some are priced about the same as a Hilton resale week. You'll have preferred trade priority into other Marriotts and that beats anything Hilton has to offer...in my opinion.

Steve

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I attended a presentation at HGVC in Las Vegas last week. It seems to me they are trying desperately to sell inventory in Las Vegas, Orlando, and Hawaii to get owners into the club with enticements to be able to use club points for hotel stays and affiliate resort stays. They are pushing the elite status to get owners to buy additional weeks.

When they asked why I haven't added any points since I purchased in 1997 I responded that I own 4 Marriott weeks and until HGVC added considerably more HGVC developed properties in locations that are desirable I would have no need for additional points. I use my points to go to Las Vegas every year and nothing else.

spike

TUG Member
Reaction score
This bites

Steve said:
] their main focus for timeshare development continues to be Orlando, Las Vegas, and Hawaii.
I love HGVC, don't get me wrong, but this bites on so many levels....

mkbSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: This bites

spike said:
I love HGVC, don't get me wrong, but this bites on so many levels....

I agree...

I really wish they had a stronger California presence, like in SoCal, Tahoe, and San Francisco, and of course more International. At least they have Carlsbad coming online soon.

The model in Florida seems convoluted with so many resorts clustering around the gulf, all not having many rooms in inventory.

Between NY Club as it's own entity, then Bermuda coming online as part of 'Hilton Club' and HGVC International...it all just seems somewhat patched together rather than a global strategy.

Having said that, I am a proud new owner and am impressed that there are several options at numerous resorts looking 7-9mos out. Quite happy with my purchase decision.

Pronkster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve, I own several HGVC weeks and have been thinking about buying Marriott for II and internal trading. Which locations can be purchased at about the same price as Hilton? Do they all trade internally the same as Hilton does?

Bill4728

Reaction score
Pronkster said:
Steve, I own several HGVC weeks and have been thinking about buying Marriott for II and internal trading. Which locations can be purchased at about the same price as Hilton? Do they all trade internally the same as Hilton does?

Marriott doesn't trade internally at all. All trades go thru II. All Marriott deposits are held in II for 3 weeks for other Marriott matches until they are released into the general II pool. So you can trade a inexpensive Marriott Desert Springs for a very expensive Marriott Hawaii IF (and that a big IF) II feels that the Desert Springs has enough trading power. If II doesn't feel that the trading power is enough or another marriott with more trading powers wants it too, then you will not get the trade.

Hope that helps

taffy19

Reaction score
Marriott is going to have an internal exchange system. It's in the works but when it will be ready is another question. You can read about it or search for it here under the "Marriott Resort System". It has been mentioned many times already.

kdorward

TUG Member
Reaction score

mkbSFO said:
I agree...

I really wish they had a stronger California presence, like in SoCal, Tahoe, and San Francisco, and of course more International. At least they have Carlsbad coming online soon.

The model in Florida seems convoluted with so many resorts clustering around the gulf, all not having many rooms in inventory.

Between NY Club as it's own entity, then Bermuda coming online as part of 'Hilton Club' and HGVC International...it all just seems somewhat patched together rather than a global strategy.

Having said that, I am a proud new owner and am impressed that there are several options at numerous resorts looking 7-9mos out. Quite happy with my purchase decision.
When you say Bermuda is coming online as part of 'Hilton Club' and HGVC International.. What does that mean? Will HGVC members be able to request this resort? What is HGVC International?

Steve

Reaction score
Pronkster said:

As others have mentioned, all Marriott trades currently go through II. This is going to change in the future, but for now, II handles them all. As has also been mentioned, Marriotts have priority trading into other Marriotts. I have had great success with this.

A few resorts which can be purchased for about the same cost as a Hilton and which will trade extremely well to other Marriotts:

Marriott's Grande Vista (platinum)
Marriott's Manor Club (platinum)
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas (red/platinum)

Cheaper than Hilton, but won't trade quite as well as those above:

Marriott's Summit Watch (gold)
Marriott's Sunset Point (summer and/or sport)
Marriott's Harbour Point (fixed summer weeks)

Steve

mkbSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score

kdorward said:
When you say Bermuda is coming online as part of 'Hilton Club' and HGVC International.. What does that mean? Will HGVC members be able to request this resort? What is HGVC International?

I was pointing out the different entities, 'Hilton Club' and 'HGVC International', etc.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20754
http://www.thehiltonclub.com/
http://www.higvc.co.uk/hgvc.htm

From what I read in postings on this website, it would seem that only Elite members can book at 'The Hilton Club' which is currently in NY, and judging by the new Bermuda title would seem an expansion of perhaps the Elite concept, although there are indicators from some of these articles that it may be part of all HGVC.

Otherwise I don't personally know that level of detail, as I mentioned I'm a new owner. I do however find the search function very useful... :)

Last edited:

mazanecb

TUG Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, all Marriott trades currently go through II. This is going to change in the future, but for now, II handles them all. As has also been mentioned, Marriotts have priority trading into other Marriotts. I have had great success with this.

Where can I find more information about Marriott's possible transition to an internal trading system for Marriott-Marriott trades?

My sales rep claims to know nothing about this...