• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV points for cruises

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
I’m sure it’s a bad deal, but can you use HGV points for cruises? I have a bunch of points left over and my kids want to go on a cruise .

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
HGVC or DRI/HVC? I assume HGVC since you are in the HGVC TUG group but yes. Terrible use of points. Go to the cruise page on HGV, look at the amount of points needed, which ship, and dates. Then go on a cruise broker site and pull up the same cruise then compare. Also, do the math on what those points cost you. You need to determine your cost/pt and then use that to determine the HGV cost. Through HGV, you pay with points and cash. The only time that it may sense is if you just need to burn points but HGV stays will always be your best use of the points.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're right. Use TS points for TS stays and cash for cruises at www.vacationstogo.com or similar consolidators.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
OP, haven’t you been getting emails from HGVC promoting cruises. I just got another one that I deleted from my inbox today. It seems I get one or two a week. If you don’t, I certainly can post.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just for fun, I went to look.

Here is the HGV Cruise page and an example. I used 10000 points for easy math. If your average MF/pt cost is 0.10 then the 10,000 points cost you $1,000 but they give you a value of $625. The higher your MF/pt, the higher your overall cost and if you have a loan from a retail week, then that bumps it up more.

1716245889497.png

Here is the cost through Carnival:
1716246328837.png

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Aventuras
I never open HGV emails.
Wow I knew it was a bad deal, but not that bad….
Plan B burn them on extra nights on a one bedroom oceanfront at la Pacifica this summer !

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I never open HGV emails.
Plan B burn them on extra nights on a one bedroom oceanfront at la Pacifica this summer !
that is a good burn....

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I never open HGV emails.
That is why a low MF/pt is important, even if you consider HH conversion, etc. plus, of course, you save on MFs over the years.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Aventuras
My point to mf is terrible. I own an ocean tower 1 bed that gets 7680 points. 35k retail . Hate the thing .
I made up for it buying 4 Westin lagunamar weeks and retroing them in and now getting over 20k mvc points

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My point to mf is terrible. I own an ocean tower 1 bed that gets 7680 points. 35k retail . Hate the thing .
I made up for it buying 4 Westin lagunamar weeks and retroing them in and now getting over 20k mvc points
The MFs for it are $1,458 so your MF/pt is 0.19...so not great. That makes using points for a cruise even worse. The $35k purchase price is painful also but it is what it is now.

I know this sounds crazy but I would consider dumping it. You are out the $35k no matter what and I don't think it would sell for much on the resale market but if you sold it or even give it away and bought a better resale deed, you could make up the difference in MFs within a few years and then be ahead. For example, we gave away our Tuscany Village because the MFs were getting too high and the MF/pt wasn't great. We just wrote it off. Then bought a Craig Lodges week, 1 bed plat (7680 pts), for about $2k and the MFs this year were $837. That is a $621 this year compared to yours and will probably be similar down the road. Four years and you have already covered the cost of the week and then it is gravy after that. You could look at Vegas deeds also but the key is to get a good MF/pt, ideally 0.10 or less.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Aventuras
The MFs for it are $1,458 so your MF/pt is 0.19...so not great. That makes using points for a cruise even worse. The $35k purchase price is painful also but it is what it is now.

I know this sounds crazy but I would consider dumping it. You are out the $35k no matter what and I don't think it would sell for much on the resale market but if you sold it or even give it away and bought a better resale deed, you could make up the difference in MFs within a few years and then be ahead. For example, we gave away our Tuscany Village because the MFs were getting too high and the MF/pt wasn't great. We just wrote it off. Then bought a Craig Lodges week, 1 bed plat (7680 pts), for about $2k and the MFs this year were $837. That is a $621 this year compared to yours and will probably be similar down the road. Four years and you have already covered the cost of the week and then it is gravy after that. You could look at Vegas deeds also but the key is to get a good MF/pt, ideally 0.10 or less.
I have thought about that. We have gone to BI, GI, FA Cabo, FA Cancun, La Pacifica multiple times, Quinn, and west 57th, but I know that my deed does not generate enough points for the MF I shell out every year. Especially in the club properties. If they encompass Bluegreen into the program they would be fantastic. I spend a lot of time in San Antonio and I think they have a property out there ,