• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV now exclusively RCI for exchanges

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is 7680 for a week in two bedroom next April...which I didn't think was too bad and it has a private plunge pool

That's for a 2 BR Grand Mayan, I believe via SFX (through HGV).
Although I don't know if the 7680 points is before or after the 60% points change. If it's after, then that's not a bad deal as that would be equal to the "old" 4,800 HGV points.

I'm not sure what the resort fees are when you booked ($75, $150, or the new $700), but certainly better than the $950 fees Vidanta charges for RCI (plus the $239 or whatever RCI exchange fee, plus the 1-4 rule restrictions, plus the no guest cert restrictions).

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
That's for a 2 BR Grand Mayan, I believe via SFX (through HGV).
Although I don't know if the 7680 points is before or after the 60% points change. If it's after, then that's not a bad deal as that would be equal to the "old" 4,800 HGV points.

I'm not sure what the resort fees are when you booked ($75, $150, or the new $700), but certainly better than the $950 fees Vidanta charges for RCI (plus the $239 or whatever RCI exchange fee, plus the 1-4 rule restrictions, plus the no guest cert restrictions).

Yes this for a 2 BR Grand Mayan Riviera Maya.

new/current points and no booking fee. There is a $150 mandatory resort fee, 20 pesos per day environmental sanitation fee, and a $10/person visitor tax.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes this for a 2 BR Grand Mayan Riviera Maya.

new/current points and no booking fee. There is a $150 mandatory resort fee, 20 pesos per day environmental sanitation fee, and a $10/person visitor tax.

Wow, even better deal!!!!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Hey, rebranding is finally starting to happen in RCI.

1660683219097.png

Still plenty of deeply discounted last-minute inventory in a standard RCI Points account.

1660683321500.png

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
RCI has jacked their exchange fees way up for direct RCI customers since our exchange fee was was locked in at $249 per week in the 2022 rule book.

Starting in December, exchanging a week directly through RCI will cost $289 per exchange.

If HGVC holds us at $249 next year, I will give them credit for thinking of timeshare owners when negotiating the contract.

If they have not negotiated some protection for us on fees, they simply cut an exclusive deal with RCI and used us for leverage to pad their pockets and take away our ability to choose an exchange.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am now questioning what the current state is for trading HGVC in SFX. They are getting some HGVC inventory from somewhere. While example #1 is not pure HGVC, #2 and #3 certainly are.

1697636214758.png

In addition to the two items above, I see about 4 more pure HGVC listings they have in their escapes.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI has jacked their exchange fees way up for direct RCI customers since our exchange fee was was locked in at $249 per week in the 2022 rule book.

Starting in December, exchanging a week directly through RCI will cost $289 per exchange.

If HGVC holds us at $249 next year, I will give them credit for thinking of timeshare owners when negotiating the contract.

If they have not negotiated some protection for us on fees, they simply cut an exclusive deal with RCI and used us for leverage to pad their pockets and take away our ability to choose an exchange.

I paid $279 in August for an exchange already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now questioning what the current state is for trading HGVC in SFX. They are getting some HGVC inventory from somewhere.

They are getting HGVC again. I booked into Hawaii but you are limited to only one HGVC Hawaii exchange per calendar year. You are not allowed to book more than one unit. They still charge the extra resort upgrade fee the same way they charge for Grand Luxxe in additon to the standard exchange fee. I found that Hilton doesn't get your guest info until the week of the check-in. They had generally the same resorts they had in the past, HGVC Kohala and Kingsland on the Big Island and the Grand Waikikian on Oahu. I'm thinking that it's developer inventory because that is where excess inventory typically has been

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
Embarc members can trade with most exchange companies (except RCI). With any of them we have to get a membership directly with the exchange co but how we trade varies. With Interval we still exchange points, with SFX you have to book and deposit a week. In all cases, Embarc has to confirm the points availability or the validity of the deposit.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now questioning what the current state is for trading HGVC in SFX. They are getting some HGVC inventory from somewhere. While example #1 is not pure HGVC, #2 and #3 certainly are.

View attachment 82636

In addition to the two items above, I see about 4 more pure HGVC listings they have in their escapes.

Hilton does direct deposits with SFX since they do have a relationship (It's under the Exchanges section on the HGV website with RCI Exchanges and SFX Exchanges). Ironic that they list exchanges there, but don't let us actually exchange our weeks with SFX. Probably because they want you to use the horrific HGV Points to SFX (Vidanta) resort exchange option (it's like 3x the points vs if you were able to deposit a week with SFX and book vidanta that way).

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton does direct deposits with SFX since they do have a relationship (It's under the Exchanges section on the HGV website with RCI Exchanges and SFX Exchanges). Ironic that they list exchanges there, but don't let us actually exchange our weeks with SFX. Probably because they want you to use the horrific HGV Points to SFX (Vidanta) resort exchange option (it's like 3x the points vs if you were able to deposit a week with SFX and book vidanta that way).
I thought they were cheap. We reserved a 2 bedroom for spring break a couple years that were 7680 points that cost us about $700 in MFs.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought they were cheap. We reserved a 2 bedroom for spring break a couple years that were 7680 points that cost us about $700 in MFs.
It depends on where you go and how long ago you booked.

1) They have no 2 BR Grand Luxxe units available you can only book Studio or 1 BR units at Nuevo Vallarta (which is ironic since it's significantly larger than Riviera Maya)
2) There are NO Grand bliss units anywhere (it's either Grand Mayan or Grand Luxxe). Personally I find the Grand Mayan beds to be hard as a rock vs. Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe. But everyone has a bed preference.
3) Current point levels for Grand Luxxe 1 BR at both locations is: 20,160 HGV points. If you can get a 2 BR in Riviera Maya it's 23,040 points. Everyone's got a different MF ratio (mine was about $0.18/point under the old scale, and now it's $0.13/point with the new 60% "more"). So let's see, 20,000 points at $0.13/point = $2,600 in cost if I book 1 BR Grand Luxxe via Hilton. I can rent a 2 BR for $2500 or so from an owner on redweek or, USED to be able to deposit my 2,400 point Vegas Unit with SFX (at $432 plus the booking/Guest cert) and get a free upgrade to 2 BR and pay the extra $300 upcharge and $150 exchange fee which would've put me somewhere around $1,132 if I could exchange via SFX.
4) Grand Mayan units at Riviera Maya/Nuevo are 5,440 and 7,680 now for 1 BR/2BR respectively (my cost around $700/$1,000) vs. $780/$780 direct with SFX (although would be cheaper to use a Bonus week for the 1 BR as it negates the $150 exchange fee). So very close for 1 BR Grand Mayan.

YMMV (some folks like Grand Mayan or acapulco or don't need a 2 BR).

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It depends on where you go and how long ago you booked.

1) They have no 2 BR Grand Luxxe units available you can only book Studio or 1 BR units at Nuevo Vallarta (which is ironic since it's significantly larger than Riviera Maya)
2) There are NO Grand bliss units anywhere (it's either Grand Mayan or Grand Luxxe). Personally I find the Grand Mayan beds to be hard as a rock vs. Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe. But everyone has a bed preference.
3) Current point levels for Grand Luxxe 1 BR at both locations is: 20,160 HGV points. If you can get a 2 BR in Riviera Maya it's 23,040 points. Everyone's got a different MF ratio (mine was about $0.18/point under the old scale, and now it's $0.13/point with the new 60% "more"). So let's see, 20,000 points at $0.13/point = $2,600 in cost if I book 1 BR Grand Luxxe via Hilton. I can rent a 2 BR for $2500 or so from an owner on redweek or, USED to be able to deposit my 2,400 point Vegas Unit with SFX (at $432 plus the booking/Guest cert) and get a free upgrade to 2 BR and pay the extra $300 upcharge and $150 exchange fee which would've put me somewhere around $1,132 if I could exchange via SFX.
4) Grand Mayan units at Riviera Maya/Nuevo are 5,440 and 7,680 now for 1 BR/2BR respectively (my cost around $700/$1,000) vs. $780/$780 direct with SFX (although would be cheaper to use a Bonus week for the 1 BR as it negates the $150 exchange fee). So very close for 1 BR Grand Mayan.

YMMV (some folks like Grand Mayan or acapulco or don't need a 2 BR).
It was a week at the Grand Mayan. 7680 cost us $692 last year in MFs.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton does direct deposits with SFX since they do have a relationship (It's under the Exchanges section on the HGV website with RCI Exchanges and SFX Exchanges).

Do you know it to be true that HGVC does direct deposits with SFX or is it something you simply suspect? Without a doubt you can use your HGVC points to “exchange” into Vidanta with some try or of relationship they have with SFX? But do we know HGVC trades inventory for those exchanges versus cash changing hands (like a cruise exchange might happen somewhere else?)

The HGVC inventory I see on SFX looks more like random exchanges someone made versus how I would expect “bulk” deposits to occur.

When I log into the SFX website, it looks like they will still let me deposit my HGVC inventory.

IMG_2207.jpeg

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can exchange in GPX and II also.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know it to be true that HGVC does direct deposits with SFX or is it something you simply suspect? Without a doubt you can use your HGVC points to “exchange” into Vidanta with some try or of relationship they have with SFX? But do we know HGVC trades inventory for those exchanges versus cash changing hands (like a cruise exchange might happen somewhere else?)

The HGVC inventory I see on SFX looks more like random exchanges someone made versus how I would expect “bulk” deposits to occur.

When I log into the SFX website, it looks like they will still let me deposit my HGVC inventory.

View attachment 82865
Given that HGV no longer allows deposits (and hasn't for several months) into SFX, and my contact tells me they do get deposits directly from Hilton (just not at the level that say, RCI gets bulk deposits), I'd say yes.