• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV Max Property resale question

Lithoboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany & Seaworld
New HGVC resale owner and am so happy to have found TUG! I have a question about the properties that have been brought into (and will continue to be added to) the HGV Max program. I fully understand that my resale deed points will not allow me to book these "new" properties. My question is: what happens if one buys a resale deed at one of these properties? if one of the new properties is your home property, what will you have access to?
I did look and didn't see a thread about this yet... sorry if I missed it.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Check the DRI-HVC forum for that sort of info.
That's where all these "new" resorts come from.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If properties are added to HGVC, the HGVC Legacy club members (those w/o HGV Max) will have access to those properties. The exception to this is the CI/Embarc properties. These properties are being added to the HGVC side but only CI/Embarc members currently have access to these properties (and those members don't have access to other HGVC properties). Now if an HGVC Max member sells their deed on the resale market, the new owners WILL NOT be part of the HGVMax program.

That is my understanding.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
New HGVC resale owner and am so happy to have found TUG! I have a question about the properties that have been brought into (and will continue to be added to) the HGV Max program. I fully understand that my resale deed points will not allow me to book these "new" properties. My question is: what happens if one buys a resale deed at one of these properties? if one of the new properties is your home property, what will you have access to?
I did look and didn't see a thread about this yet... sorry if I missed it.

This is where things get complicated. HVC/former DRI properties do have resale deeds available, but they can’t be enrolled into the HVC program. You have a week at that property that you can do with whatever you choose to. You can use it, rent it or exchange it into an exchange program (RCI, Interval International or DEX). You can’t put that week into the HVC system for points to use at another resort.

If you were to purchase points in one of the collections (groups of properties that you can use your purchased points at), you can book on any those resorts. You would not have a deed but just trust points that you can use. Resale points can’t be used in any collection but the one you own in.

HGVC and HVC/DRI are 2 totally different systems linked by the MAX program and you must purchase from the developer to be part of that system.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is where things get complicated. HVC/former DRI properties do have resale deeds available, but they can’t be enrolled into the HVC program. You have a week at that property that you can do with whatever you choose to. You can use it, rent it or exchange it into an exchange program (RCI, Interval International or DEX). You can’t put that week into the HVC system for points to use at another resort.
Ahh! So perhaps there is a grain of truth to sales comments that if you buy resale deed it is limited to home week and cannot trade into Hilton Honors. However it is a DRI deeded week NOT HGVC resale.

Lithoboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany & Seaworld

If you were to purchase points in one of the collections (groups of properties that you can use your purchased points at), you can book on any those resorts. You would not have a deed but just trust points that you can use. Resale points can’t be used in any collection but the one you own in.

HGVC and HVC/DRI are 2 totally different systems linked by the MAX program and you must purchase from the developer to be part of that system.
@dayooper THANK YOU For this explanation! This is exactly what I was trying to understand, but I think did not know enough to ask the question correctly. So going forward, if I choose to add another deed to my portfolio for the purpose of adding points, I would want to be sure it is an HGVC property and NOT one of the HVC/former DRI properties...

Lithoboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Tuscany & Seaworld
Ahh! So perhaps there is a grain of truth to sales comments that if you buy resale deed it is limited to home week and cannot trade into Hilton Honors. However it is a DRI deeded week NOT HGVC resale.
Tricky Tricky Tricky!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
DRI resell Deeds do exist but are few and far in-between. DRI is primarily Points in a Collection. Resell DRI Points can only be used to Book into their Home Collection not "Home Resort." This Collection may be 1 Resort such as Cabo Azul or numerous Resorts such as the USA Collection or Hawaiian Collection. The Hawaiian Collection has about 10 (rough estimate) Resorts but only 3 are in Hawaii. DRI resell Points can not be used for MAX.

Prior to Hilton's acquisition DRI had developed a Program to allow DRI Deed Owners to trade into other DRI Resorts. I do not know how that Program is currently operating.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I think that complicated/confusion is by design so that the salespeople will exploit uninformed owners.
Yup, I believe it is intentional. I have heard enough from other owners to know sales people are trained to take advantage.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
@dayooper THANK YOU For this explanation! This is exactly what I was trying to understand, but I think did not know enough to ask the question correctly. So going forward, if I choose to add another deed to my portfolio for the purpose of adding points, I would want to be sure it is an HGVC property and NOT one of the HVC/former DRI properties...
They are taking about DRi and HVC. HGVC and HC deeds can use the whole system not just where you own. Most of us in this group own HGVC/HC resales and use the whole system but aren't in Max or have access to DRI/HVC properties except via RCI and Hilton. com. There are two different systems so make sure to clarify if you are asking about DRI/HVC or HGVC/HC.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@dayooper So going forward, if I choose to add another deed to my portfolio for the purpose of adding points, I would want to be sure it is an HGVC property and NOT one of the HVC/former DRI properties...
Since you are already an HGVC resale owner and if you need/want additional HGVC points then yes, you will need to purchase an additional resale HGVC deed. As we have discussed on TUG, if you want access to DRI/HVC then purchase HVC trust points in the collection which you desire. But if you did purchase DRI/HVC resale trust points, you would in effect be in two different TS systems.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas

This is also my understanding from reading a bunch on this topic. We have been considering dormer-DRI in Kauai and Maui. They are in the same collection (there may be something else in there, but not other Hawaii, IIRC), so we could buy resale to use just there.

Cheers.

ghgecko

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Strip
Diamond: Lake Tahoe Resort
We own HGVC and a deeded Diamond property in Lake Tahoe. We have two different log in accounts. On the new link to the Diamond property we can book our unit (floating week) only. We don’t have access to other properties that are now HVC. For us this is moot because we acquired the Lake Tahoe property to use exclusively.