• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 ] HGV. How can I stop paying Annual Maintenance Fees?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It sounds to me that they don't really sell the TS, just list it. They let other independent licensed brokers actually sell the TS.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the only list the unit and send weekly emails to all the brokers who are recommended here...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious, with Donald Trump being such a polarizing figure does anyone feel his actions as POTUS makes his brand less valuable? For example, my wife REFUSES to stay at any property with his name on it or even consider taking a free timeshare week at the Trump Vegas property. Thoughts?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Just curious, with Donald Trump being such a polarizing figure does anyone feel his actions as POTUS makes his brand less valuable? For example, my wife REFUSES to stay at any property with his name on it or even consider taking a free timeshare week at the Trump Vegas property. Thoughts?

On a purely economic basis this is definitely a consideration and will reduce the potential selling price. Reasons are:
  1. The high MF/point compared to other HGVC Vegas
  2. A significant segment of the population who will avoid the brand
  3. Those who are not politically motivated but will see the economic reality of #1 and #2 above so avoid the brand (i.e. why burden yourself with this risk when you can buy other HGVC in Vegas without the baggage for the same or less cost?)
Therefore, the sale price will be affected because there are fewer buyers willing to purchase. Supply and demand.

Last edited:

Phil the Brit

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trump Tower Las Vegas
I’m getting some experience with them as I am using Judi K to purchase an Elara unit from an owner using them for their listing. I won’t speak for her but she was instrumental in helping them set up the program with her expertise. My limited understanding is that they do handle resales for Hilton units/owners and work with a limited number of reputable brokers/agents initially before going to mls. As some are mentioning concerns of inflated and unsellable listing prices, I do feel that the “for sale” price was appropriate and not overinflated.

as for ROFR, I don’t think there’s an advantage to using them. ROFR is still a decision made by another division that is made primarily with math in mind and demand in the retail market. Regardless, ROFR being exercised is still beneficial for the seller as the seller accepts the sale contract price with the buyer prior to ROFR review. The buyer is the one who stands to lose the opportunity to own.

Who is Judi K?

Phil the Brit

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Trump Tower Las Vegas
Does everybody agree that Redweek full service is best way for me to go?
Thanks
Phil

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Regardless of which route you decide to take, just keep in mind that the market is flooded with weeks for sale. It’s basically a buyer’s market.

For example, one of the biggest advertisers, Selling My Timeshare Now (SMTN) an upfront fee company, has the following for the HGVC Las Vegas Properties:
  • 513 for sale listings for Hilton Grand Vacations Club On The Boulevard (link)
  • 141 for sale listings for Hilton Grand Vacations Club At The Flamingo (link)
  • 170 for sale listings for Hilton Grand Vacations Club On Paradise (link)
  • 170 for sale listings for Hilton Grand Vacations Club At Trump (link)
  • 984 for sale listings for Elara, A Hilton Grand Vacations Club Timeshares (link) but most likely half of those might be from Westgate owners.
JHMO.. I would consider giving the gold studio week away for free with the buyer paying for closing and reimbursing the 2020 maintenance fee. You can give it away on Tug (link). For the two bedroom platinum, I would set the asking price at $10k or less in order to get it sold before maintenance fees roll around again next year.

Best of Luck and please report back on your outcome.

sadly these ads will never sell for most if not all of those prices...and this site (as well as most others) leave ads up forever to inflate the number of ads for marketing purposes.

you likely could have joined TUG and had it posted for sale and found a buyer by now if it was priced as aggressively as you seemed to want to at the start (ie walking away). I would imagine had you priced it for free you would have had multiple people hounding you day and night to take it off your hands =)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Does everybody agree that Redweek full service is best way for me to go?
Thanks
Phil

I would pick one of the frequently recommended resale agents listed earlier in post #9 over Redweek but that’s my personal preference. For higher priced weeks, I simply prefer working directly with an agent. For lower priced / free items, I’m ok with handling it myself and suggest a low cost closing company such as LT Transfers (also recommend by TUG see link#1 & link#2).

JMHO... In the end, there is no right or wrong. You should pick whoever you are most comfortable with. I could be wrong but I get the feeling from your earlier posts that you simply want someone else to handle the selling.

So in your case, perhaps it’s best to go with Grand Vacations Realty. I believe they are the only agency you‘ve reached out to so far and probably comfortable with. Yeah they have a high commission but your goal was at least $5k (not the highest possible resale price). Perhaps by offering a 20% commission, maybe your week will be sold sooner rather than later :shrug: and maybe receive preferential treatment from those who want to maintain a favorable relationship with Grand Vacations Realty :ponder:.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The agent listings will cost more than RedWeek but they will be more responsive to buyers. I had a listing with RedWeek Full Service a few years ago for a higher end timeshare. It was priced the lowest for the type of unit. The listing had initial interest from two buyers but the RedWeek brokers didn't respond in a timely fashion and so it sat for a year and I was unable to sell. Maybe that was a good omen because our situation changed and we still like to use the unit.

Perhaps the RedWeek model has been fixed as this was a few years ago.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
If I am a buyer I would prefer an agent over RedWeek. The downside to RedWeek (which some would see as a virtue) is that you have to be a registered user of the site to view the ads.

While this might help eliminate some scammers in relation to rental listings it also severely limits the number of potential viewers.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score

Late to the party but I have had excellent dealings (buying and selling) with Diane Nadeau. When the time comes, I will list my HGVC timeshare with her.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard the points bought from HGV resale department qualify toward elite. In Facebook HGV elite group, many member advocates buying from HGV resale department to save money and get elite status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I heard the points bought from HGV resale department qualify toward elite. In Facebook HGV elite group, many member advocates buying from HGV resale department to save money and get elite status.

For most people elite status isn't worth the high markup paid to buy direct from HGVC.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
For most people elite status isn't worth the high markup paid to buy direct from HGVC.

It is a personal opinion. There are people like me, elite premier and many other don’t want to be in HGV Facebook or Tug because trying to avoid negative talks like this. We formed a HGV elite Facebook group and only elite member can join. I love to be elite premier and I love the benefit. I love it. If one can afford both payment in the front without loan and maintenance fee, plus enjoy the benefit, I don’t know why don’t just leave them alone without criticizing or negative comments. I can see some choose to buy resale by saving tons of money without incur a loan. I concur it. It is a personal choice. I have tons of resale points bundled into my elite premier account and all points in my account is treated the same. Many elite paying a fraction of I paid by buying from HGV resale department.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is a personal opinion. There are people like me, elite premier and many other don’t want to be in HGV Facebook or Tug because trying to avoid negative talks like this. We formed a HGV elite Facebook group and only elite member can join. I love to be elite premier and I love the benefit. I love it. If one can afford both payment in the front without loan and maintenance fee, plus enjoy the benefit, I don’t know why don’t just leave them alone without criticizing or negative comments. I can see some choose to buy resale by saving tons of money without incur a loan. I concur it. It is a personal choice. I have tons of resale points bundled into my elite premier account and all points in my account is treated the same. Many elite paying a fraction of I paid by buying from HGV resale department.

So what exactly are the benefits of elite that you find so attractive?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Buying resale from Craigendarroch inScotland is the best way, but there are reports of a couple of SW Florida that offer that as well.

It is a personal decision. It’s something that is discussed here. Many buy more developer points just to get to elite. I think having the non salesman info is important for people to make their choice.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received email that my four weeks 2 bedroom garden view in Hilton Hawaii village for end of January to February 2020 free upgraded to ocean view. All three. When I arrived, their is a free limo waiting for me. I enjoy being treated as vip. I can do All my transactions without worrying paying fees. I can request unlimited specific unit I want. We got Hilton diamond status and and Hilton hotel free upgrades too. We retired for a few years and travel more than half of the year. I can never stay vacationing around the world for so long and pay for hotel that can match a fraction of what I paid for maintenance fee. The feeling of satisfaction is priceless. Again it is personal opinion.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton is one of the companies that works with ARDA to assist with timeshare exits. Based on what you've posted, I doubt if this will help but since they appear to be legit, here's the link;

I have no relationship with these people and don't know anyone that's used them. They just seem legit. My guess is that they'll low ball you, but at least you'll be relieved of future obligaitons.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I just received email that my four weeks 2 bedroom garden view in Hilton Hawaii village for end of January to February 2020 free upgraded to ocean view. All three. When I arrived, their is a free limo waiting for me. I enjoy being treated as vip. I can do All my transactions without worrying paying fees. I can request unlimited specific unit I want. We got Hilton diamond status and and Hilton hotel free upgrades too. We retired for a few years and travel more than half of the year. I can never stay vacationing around the world for so long and pay for hotel that can match a fraction of what I paid for maintenance fee. The feeling of satisfaction is priceless. Again it is personal opinion.

I think all of those are great (except for the limo, that’s just a little too much attention on me for my tastes). On the flip side, I don’t even want to know how much it would cost to get that status if bought through HGVC. Just a 7000 point platinum bought from a developer would be way more than what we would pay.

It’s all personal preference, but the cost to go elite is just ridiculous to me.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm glad to see you're getting value out of it and living a dream retirement!

I can see how these would be attractive benefits for the free upgrades - is this a consistent benefit (i.e., can also get during summer peak season) or is it somewhat sporadic? I can see how that would add value if you spend a lot of time at HGVC as it is effectively a discount on the number of points required to book. Fee waivers are nice as well as being able to request specific unit. The limo is kind of a "meh" for me, max benefit here would be $150 one way if I book directly with the hotel - as or resort for pickup (although I usually rent a vehicle as we like to explore). Hotel Diamond status is worth something - $450/year to be exact if I were to get the Aspire credit card. I haven't found it worthwhile and as a Hilton Gold I can usually just pay an extra $40-50 and get an upgraded hotel room if desired - I'll usually get an upgrade and my two free bottles of water with my lowly status.

If you were able to get this elite status many years ago it could be obtained a fair bit cheaper than at current pricing. I do really like the HGVC timeshares and program - I think our next purchase will be HGVC - but that will be a resale unit (unsure as to location yet or whether I want to go "big" with large Hawaii contract or a smaller LV contract).

I think all of those are great (except for the limo, that’s just a little too much attention on me for my tastes). On the flip side, I don’t even want to know how much it would cost to get that status if bought through HGVC. Just a 7000 point platinum bought from a developer would be way more than what we would pay.

It’s all personal preference, but the cost to go elite is just ridiculous to me.

I just did a presentation on a stay promo in LV where they offered us a 14,400 point unit at the Grand Islander for the low price of $130,000. That would get us to the lowest elite levels. Our alternative offer was an 8,400 point week for $69,000 so you can extrapolate what the cost would be to get to 34,000 points developer. Even if I could navigate the developed vs. affiliate resort quagmire, find the right resales to trade-in and get credit for the original trade-in purchase price, I have a feeling it would cost an incremental of $90k to get those 34,000 points. $90k buys a lot of years of booking fees, Aspire credit card fees, limo rides and daily newspapers.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
-Deleted

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I just did a presentation on a stay promo in LV where they offered us a 14,400 point unit at the Grand Islander for the low price of $130,000. That would get us to the lowest elite levels. Our alternative offer was an 8,400 point week for $69,000 so you can extrapolate what the cost would be to get to 34,000 points developer. Even if I could navigate the developed vs. affiliate resort quagmire, find the right resales to trade-in and get credit for the original trade-in purchase price, I have a feeling it would cost an incremental of $90k to get those 34,000 points. $90k buys a lot of years of booking fees, Aspire credit card fees, limo rides and daily newspapers.

One could actually purchase resale at some affiliates for much cheaper (@Anthony Schmid quoted less than $40K) gaining HGVC elite status - refer to thread

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Definitely a personal opinion. If one actually did try to quantify the value received for the money paid, that would likely be impossible because it just isn't there financially. But one gets to make that choice based on a feeling and not a financial decision if they choose to. I've done the same with airline tickets, concerts, special events at Disney, etc. Quantitative value not even near worth the cost (like Elite), but I wanted to do it. I don;t need or want limos, exclusive Fscebook groups (or any Facebook groups as I have no interest in having an account), a blue wristband or much of the rest of what Elite offers. While we could afford to go that route, we choose to spend our money elsewhere. Some as non-financially justifiable as Elite. Because we want to. Our personal opinion.

Cheers.