• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hertz files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy [merged]

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wish I had better news to share.
Used to rent from Hertz.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Business as usual. Will negotiate (eliminate lots of) debt, and continue on. Hertz will be renting again just like they have. Vat a country!

Reaction score
I personally only rent from Enterprise. Unlike Hertz, Enterprise has plenty of neighborhood locations. And they're cheaper than Hertz. I wish National had more neighborhood locations as I loved picking out my car. Having Enterprise do it has been about 95% good. The only times they picked out a "dud" was one month I did a full-size and got a nice Ford Fusion. The next month, I did a full-size and got a nice (but not as much technical goodies) Chevrolet Malibu. Another time, I selected an intermediate SUV, but it was a Mitsubishi and the legroom was small for me (and anyone else over 5'10").

So, I just choose a full-size pickup and that is more than enough leg room. Another plus is at the end of the year, they give a ton of bonuses, I racked up thousands of points in a few rentals.
:banana:
TS

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very good by Hertz. They can elimnate debt, rental automobile overhead, some locations and employees legally. IMHO.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
This is a very good by Hertz. They can elimnate debt, rental automobile overhead, some locations and employees legally. IMHO.
But not a good thing for all the other companies they owe money to, some of which are probably hanging on by their fingertips themselves. The ripples in the Covid-19 pool keep expanding.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
But not a good thing for all the other companies they owe money to, some of which are probably hanging on by their fingertips themselves. The ripples in the Covid-19 pool keep expanding.
Your observation are correct. Over fifty years ago, I was an employee with a major employer that went bankruptcy . I received 10% of my pay checks after they completed the process. I was not happy. I had a family to support and bills to pay. There were no forgiveness of debt from anyone.

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
The biggest proportion of their liabilities is for vehicle leases and vehicle securitizations. Hertz doesn’t actually own most of their vehicles. They will have about 60 days before the creditors on these leases can repossess the vehicles to resell as used vehicles. Will be hard to run a rental company with so few cars.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Let’s not forget that Hertz also owns Dollar and Thrifty.

If the travel industry is forecasting significant continual reduction in business (and leisure) travel for the next year or three, then I suspect we will find a glut of these cars in the used marketplace. Or, perhaps they will sell them overseas like other countries.

I have had status with Hertz for many years and have rented in many countries with them, but I can’t say they were really any better than any other. The brand is generally well respected in business travel, so I expect some entity will acquire it at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
My understanding is that the bankruptcy applies only for Hertz USD, not for Hertz in other countries.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Herts to issue 1 billion in new shares.

Isn't that just crazy ? Hertz received court approval to sell $1 billion of junk stock to traders. If they manage to sell it, and I think they will sell most of it, they will end up with about $30 billion in earnings. But Hertz is bankrupt.................. I don't get it.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score
Isn't that just crazy ? Hertz received court approval to sell $1 billion of junk stock to traders. If they manage to sell it, and I think they will sell most of it, they will end up with about $30 billion in earnings. But Hertz is bankrupt.................. I don't get it.

Bill

yes, strange.
I'm not buying any Hertz stock ;)

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I often rent from Hertz, but I got a notice to creditors associated with the bankruptcy. No idea what would have flagged me as a creditor. I don't have any prepaid reservations booked. They don't owe me anything that I'm aware of. Maybe the "points" I have in my account from prior rentals? I probably have enough for more than a week's free rental. Anyone else get one of those letters?

Sheila

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hertz even came out and stated because the virus the stock purchased would most likely become worthless.