• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

hellolani

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got in late around 7:30 or 8 on Friday at Grand Luxxe after our cousins had already arrived. With my confirmation (in my name) they were granted access to the room before we got there, and after we filled out our registration, we were not intercepted by the timeshare guys and went straight to our room. It's now Sunday afternoon and not a peep by phone or in the lobby - no one at all has asked us to do a presentation in any way.

Weird!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I think the Monday morning shift will catch up with you

Since the room key and resort wrist band are now " one " .the wristband has now become a front desk job .
The folks who book you for presentations - still informally known by me as "the wrist band folks " - Have to work harder to " catch " you . You may have come in late enough on Friday that the Friday afternoon shift had left and the weekend shift did not have you on their radar . I am pretty sure that there is a cross check system - and it will , " reach out to you " on Monday .

If not - buy a lottery ticket as it is clearly your " lucky week "

Let us know .

Last edited:

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol, right again Tdot. Phone rang right after breakfast this morning and I knew exactly who it was. We agreed to 3000 peso room credit, van sized taxi back to airport for our party, and 10 % off total bill. We will do our presentation after check out of week 1 and have breakfast and something to do indoors just before getting access to our 3br.

I asked for the loft but apparently the timeshare team have no pull on that. They are sticking us in a presidential in punta. Bummer I really wanted to see the inside of a loft.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard 3000 pesos is about as good as it's going to get for a presentation bonus at vidanta, and we got that plus the 10% off and transport back to pvr.

Was anyone able to swing anything better?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
You will get to see the inside of a Loft when you do the tour. :) Just do not buy!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I heard 3000 pesos is about as good as it's going to get for a presentation bonus at vidanta, and we got that plus the 10% off and transport back to pvr.

Better than I ask for : as an owner- (who has no plans to upgrade).
I think we got 2000 pesos in 2011 - took the cab (they paid for since we were at Mayan Palace PV ) to Bucerias and spent half enjoying ourselves for the afternoon and buying good stuff on the beach

For the breakfast:
Be sure and bring at least a 100 peso note - to tip the person who serves
juice & coffee at the breakfast . That way you do not look like a newbie
to TS sales .
when you get to the sales floor ,my guess is you get the " trade in " presentation for a GL / GB and when you say no - they offer the same equity on a GM / net under 20 K & lots of "goodies" that you can read about on prior TUG threads. ( search Korndoc - March 2016 ).

Whatever exchange company you came in with - will (likely) not be the preferred future partner - according to sales .

< 10% off does not include tips , laundry etc >

Last edited:

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks tdot, super helpful tips! Yeah, I searched on eBay for a year to get my current portfolio where I want it to be, not counting transfer time. The trade in sales approach is going nowhere with me, not to mention any other approach.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Then enjoy the breakfast & tour - the 90 minute sales part starts when you get back to the sales floor in the Grand Bliss .

They are good at their job - since you are saying no - you will get offered all the exit packages- including some kind of offer when you get to the sign off point to collect the 3000 pesos .

As you keep saying no - someone will say " you can't exchange back in (next year ) due to a 1 in 3 rule - yada yada yada .

Tell them - you will enjoy your next Puerto Vallarta trip at :

Bouganvillas
Villa Flamingos
Raintree Club Regina
etc

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Vindanta was offering to pay a mf as a gift for attending a presentation last winter. I ran out of time or I would have went. Carlos at the Hucol art gallery on the PV malecon is one of the guys to talk to for an invitation.

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Hellolani ,
When you get back from travelling home - tell us about the TS presentation and any feedback or insights .

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We agreed to... van sized taxi back to airport for our party...

That's one thing I would personally be concerned about. Knowing these TS sales people and how they react to potential buyers saying "No" (I assume you're going to say NO), I wonder if the van and driver will play hardball and somehow not get you to the airport in time to catch your flight.

Hopefully I'm wrong and maybe the van and its driver have nothing to do with the sales team but...

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
That's one thing I would personally be concerned about. Knowing these TS sales people and how they react to potential buyers saying "No" (I assume you're going to say NO), I wonder if the van and driver will play hardball and somehow not get you to the airport in time to catch your flight.

Hopefully I'm wrong and maybe the van and its driver have nothing to do with the sales team but...

Not Likely - cabs and transportation in PV are totally unconnected from any resort affiliation .

Vidanta is also very careful to keep all their internal " teams " separate
These are the groups I can think of:

resort management and reservations - function like a hotel company

the folks that get you to the presentations ( was wristbands ) are separate from front desk and concierge .

TS sales - SELLS - and has separate team and sales managers for :

1 )newbies ,
2)owners of other TS ( trade in deals )
3 ) existing owners - upgrades .
4) exit packages - for those who say NO
5) Mexican Nationals / Latin America & South America
6 ) ?

Member Services - administers existing contracts / and does counter offers if someone is wishing to rescind in the 5 days .

Construction and Design & New Stuff .

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Not Likely - cabs and transportation in PV are totally unconnected from any resort affiliation .

Vidanta is also very careful to keep all their internal " teams " separate
These are the groups I can think of:

resort management and reservations - function like a hotel company

the folks that get you to the presentations ( was wristbands ) are separate from front desk and concierge .

TS sales - SELLS - and has separate team and sales managers for :

1 )newbies ,
2)owners of other TS ( trade in deals )
3 ) existing owners - upgrades .
4) exit packages - for those who say NO
5) Mexican Nationals / Latin America & South America
6 ) ?

Member Services - administers existing contracts / and does counter offers if someone is wishing to rescind in the 5 days .

Construction and Design & New Stuff .

Well said.

There is really a misconception on the board that everything at Vidanta is run by sales and therefore corrupt. As T-dot-traveller points out that is just not the case. The suggestion that the van drivers are in cahoots with sales is silly to those that understand the Vidanta system.

Yes, it is true that their sales department plays hard ball and often tells you what you you want to hear rather than what it really is. However, it is also true that Member Services honors the contract precisely and you have five days to get it right or walk away. If someone is not willing to take the time(or not capable) to read the contact, understand it, and resolve issues with Member services (not sales), then they should not be going to any timeshare presentations anywhere (and particularly not at Vidanta).

I struggle to feel sorry for people who accept gifts to go to a timeshare presentation and not expect a hard sell. In reality, you hold all the cards for 5 days. Play it out or don't play. I personally would never go to any sales presentation on anything if there was no way I would ever buy - that is pure waste of time.

Maybe TUG should spend more time teaching members how to play to win rather than complaining about how they lost.

Mike

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

We got 7000 pesos from an OPC working as hostess at the The River Cafe on Isla Cuale. Even at that price it wasn't worth it.

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presentation report

Well, I've now done my first presentation with Vidanta.

I scheduled it for 10:30 Friday since we would be homeless after 10AM checkout of our 2BR and needing something to do before checkin to the 3br presidential in Punta.

We were picked up at building 3 in a special Vida golf cart and taken to register and meet our sales person at the lower floor of the Santuario. We then proceeded to Del Lago for breakfast. With 4 adults and 3 kids, breakfast took forever and we broke 2 dishes along the way. We left $200 pesos in tip.

We then strolled to Grand Bliss to the presentation floor and watched the 7 minute promo video for Cirque. Our sales person was new - 2 months into the job coming back to work with an 8 month old son. I actually wish I had gotten someone much more experienced because I did want to walk out with some better info, but it was apparent quickly that she was not well enough versed on the product and the context of available products in timesharing to discuss in detail. Her spiel was rote and knowledge of how to use her own product was limited.

Her first offer was for a Grand Mayan, and I quickly told her I had no interest in owning at that level and basically just wanted their info for GL, 3BR loft or at least a master suite. I told her we needed a kitchen and that we were interested in seeing their display suites for the lofts.

She had to get a sales manager then as she said she wasn't authorized to sell that to me.

Nick came by, a caucasian man who looked early 50s, bald and very tanned, and introduced himself. Said he'd been doing with with Vidanta for over 20 years. I told him that I was on the presentation to do research on a potential future purchase at the GL level as my kids would soon be in school and we would have less flexibility to trade in on shoulder season. He scoffed and said, "Oh, that's new. Around here we just call it low season when nobody wants to be here." I chose not to take the bait as the satisfaction of only paying $1100 CAD all in (MFs, trade fee, and membership fee at II) for a 3 BR presidential suite in "low season" suits me just fine.

He asked about my current ownerships, which I told him about in great detail - triennial week 14 4BR lockoff at Wmsburg Plantation and 2BR gold float SDO biannual, both of whichI told him I got for a dollar off Ebay after lengthy research and searching and was not interested in trading in. He said actually he could give me almost $30,000 trade in value for it as he would also get a tax write off in doing so - this was interesting to me. He flat out told me that Vidanta has a US holding company that wants to PCC my timeshare as they have some sort of tax advantage in doing so - not just in the optics of giving me that amount off my purchase price, which I know is completely arbitrary. He told me the value they placed on the current timeshares in my portfolio is based on some formula applied to the developer pricing.

I told him about how we were taken in on our honeymoon with a purchase that in no way reflected what we were verbally sold in our presentation, and that we barely managed to get out of that situation by pure luck and with the help of tug, and that's why I now know what I do about timesharing. He actually scoffed when I told him about TUG and said, all those guys just say that timeshares are worthless and are professional presentation attenders who make a living on the presentation bonuses, which is why they are now limiting access to their presentation and moving away from pulling vacationers on the street. He said street pulls result in a 37% purchase rate, and ambassador stays result in a 66% purchase rate. I defended TUG and told him that this community is a source of immense knowledge and experience with timesharing and that he could learn a lot from reading through member remarks here.

He said it would not be fair to offer me the ability to purchase at GL as they had many members already in line to upgrade to the GL level and they don't let people just buy in at that level, but if I was serious he would see what he could do. I said, I just want to see the loft and get a price tag on it. So he told her saiesperson to take us up to the showroom floor and show us the 2 GL units - the studio loft and the 2 BR villa. Well, we had already stayed for a week in a 2 BR villa, so I said please take us to the lofts as that's what we really came to see. It took her a while to find it but we did have a boo at the Kingdom of the Stars 2 BR and the Kingdom of the Sun 2BR - cute but not much to cause it to stand out as a new product.

I was disappointed in the studio loft as the ceilings were not actual height in the display suite and the kitchen was extremely limited - would not work for our family of 4 in the slightest. When we came back down I asked for pricing on the 2br master suite. With golf and the ambassador program, she said it would be $383K lol. After backing out a week into the rental pool and dumping golf she came down to $199K for a week for 100 years and a bunch of other stuff.

I told her I would never trade out, and was only interested in the benefit of actually staying in the suite, not the travel account (bc you can't use it for airfare or car rentals), referral / ambassador program, golf, or any other window dressing. I said I also wanted pricing on the 3BR loft. At this point she pulled Nick back in who said he couldn't offer me the loft unless I was serious about buying today as he would need to pull a lot of strings. I said was not going to buy today but wanted pricing as part of my research for a possible purchase in 2 or 3 years. He would not give it to me, but that I should come back in two years and apply to work for him. He said he liked that I had done my research and was detail oriented an clearly knew his product and he wanted me to work on his Cabo operation. It was clear that he knew I was not there to buy today and that I was talking circles around our salesperson, so he just said to our salesperson, send these guys back to their vacation, we're done.

And that was it for us - stroll back to Santuario, one more guy trying to get me to buy for $17,000, then $5000, and when I said I don't want anything but GL, they gave me my goodies and sent me on my way. I don't think we were with them for anything more than 2 hours, lengthy breakfast included.

When we got to GL 1, our room was ready and our kids desperately needed a nap, so that was that. In a way I was disappointed, as I said, I really wanted to get more knowledge of how Vidanta works and how they position their products, but I frankly already knew more than our sweet noob salesperson, who was a lovely gal, but it was kind of a waste of time in that regard. Breakfast was lovely though, and we thoroughly enjoyed the ceviche, fresh juices and crepes.

Also, everyone, you were right. The 3BR presidential suite in Punta is no dump, and though I was crushing hard on the loft, I am not in any way disappointed to be staying here so near the ocean and the punta pools, which are my faves.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just thought I'd put in everything I remembered so I can compare notes with myself for next time.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Thanks for the report. They have often said that they do not offer Grand Luxxe to people who do not own a Mayan property, but I am sure that if you are willing to pay, they would, but I have no idea what the absolute bottom line would be. The majority of GL Owners have been with Mayan World for a long time. We bought our first 17 years ago and have purchased some resales and upgraded to Grand Mayan and then to Grand Luxxe. For years, we owned 4 MP weeks and 2 GM weeks and used them. We now have 2 Grand Luxxe Master Suites and do not use them as much as we did the 6 weeks, but our needs have changed and they should work great for a long time.

Enjoy your week in the Punta building! :)

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Hellolani,

Thanks for the detailed report. It is nice to see an unemotional experience of someone who knew what they wanted and stayed in charge of the proceedings. Like Pittle, I always had been told that the upper tiers were not offered as entry levels; you were testing the system and I am sure if they thought you would buy, they would have given their best to negotiate something.

Most of the Vidanta regulars on this forum start low and evolve over time. After finding TUG and help from folks (especially Pittle - a gold mine of knowledge), I bought a GM resale through a TUG member and have updated three times with focus on what I wanted and what Vidanta was willing to offer. I really like this approach as it allows my membership to evolve with my needs. Our kids and grandkids love the resorts; this last update was customized to their needs as they all plan on using far into the future.

Mike

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Our dauhter and son-in-law and grandkids are going to Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta. I hope she doesn't go on the timeshare presentation and has been warned by me not to.

SFX can get the Grand Luxxe resorts, but I don't know if they impose a limit on how many exchanges one can get. Everyone always said Manhattan Club was easier with SFX, but you can really only go once every three years.

It's remarkable to me how little trading power we used to get a week in a 2 bedroom at Grand Luxxe. I am thinking of a trip for us next November and have the SFX weeks to burn, that's for sure.

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have stayed 12 weeks at the Grand Mayans in Rivera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta all on SFX exchanges. Never once have we ever been pestered to do a presentation. When we check-in we tell them that we don't do presentations and they accept it. By telling them up front, they will not call your room.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Our dauhter and son-in-law and grandkids are going to be Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta. I hope she doesn't go on the timeshare presentation and has been warned by me not to.

SFX can get the Grand Luxxe resorts, but I don't know if they impose a limit on how many exchanges one can get. Everyone always said Manhattan Club was easier with SFX, but you can really only go once every three years.

It's remarkable to me how little trading power we used to get a week in a 2 bedroom at Grand Luxxe. I am thinking of a trip for us next November and have the SFX weeks to burn, that's for sure.

SFX charges an additional $299 on top of whatever exchange fee or bonus week fee for the Luxxe category. II is going to be the least expensive and easiest trade in option for Grand Luxxe.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
SFX charges an additional $299 on top of whatever exchange fee or bonus week fee for the Luxxe category. II is going to be the least expensive and easiest trade in option for Grand Luxxe.
I saw some weeks for December of 2017 in II and am considering it for us. We have never been. I think we need to just do it. I can add etrade plus in II, too. Are the one bedrooms really nice, as well?

hellolani

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite. Is the best way in to pull a cheap MP or GM off ebay and then upgrade? Out of curiousity I searched both on Ebay and found nothing.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Okay, I'll bite. Is the best way in to pull a cheap MP or GM off ebay and then upgrade? Out of curiousity I searched both on Ebay and found nothing.

It used to be three or more years ago. Since then Vidanta has closed a lot of those avenues on new contracts through high transfer fees and more restrictions such that the benefits don't transfer. It seems that most of those older contracts have largely disappeared. Hopefully Pittle will chime in as she really knows that stuff.

Realistically, in your case, with your trading power, I'm not sure why you would want to own rather than just trade in when you want. Staying in the Punta units are about as good as it gets.

For me, being an avid golfer and wanting to come several times a year with family and friends, buying resale and upgrading made sense because of the added benefits - but I do not exchange; I just use.

I also was lucky as I was doing my upgrading pre-construction of the GB and GL. It will be interesting to see how the Cirque du Soleil theme park will change the exchanging game.

Mike

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
E-Bay Mayans

I Have regularly checked ebay "solds"- out of curiosity since last Sept . I only found 3 Mayan Palace units in the fall and one since January ( it may have had Elite Weeks and if so someone got a real deal )
I generally put " timeshares in Mexico " in the search box - so it is possible I have missed one or two .

I believe old Grand Mayans and Mayan Palace's are around on local Craig's List postings etc . The trick is finding one with a lower transfer cost .
Pittle has legacy posts on TUG that give the time frames .
I believe there is a EOY Mayan Palace on TUG that has 10 years left (5 regular weeks and 5 VF) where the seller only wants $ 1 plus the $ 895 transfer fee . Look in the under $500 TS for sale / Nuevo V .Was listed a while ago .

On the rumours of SFX only for future exchanges . ( see post 3 in recent thread - Rocky Point / Puerto Penasco Grand Mayan - started March 2016 )

IMO - I do not think that Vidanta will want to completely cut off the II pipeline that can bring them Marriott and Westin- Sheraton owners who can be convinced to trade in their mandatory and rising past $1300 ++ / week MF - for a pay on use only Vidanta contract .

Hellolani,
You may wish to read the thread " Purchased Grand Luxxe yesterday ... -stared Nov 10 2015 by Seema

Seema did end up purchasing and used information from TUG and the type of negotiation plan Mikenk mentions in post 14 above
(as well as prior on many threads) I believe the purchase was using a trade in ( Hawaii ? TS ) rather than existing Mayan contracts .

Last edited: