• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helping out My Parents

Samuel Stuard

Reaction score
My Parents recently bought a HCI Timeshare and I quickly got them to rescind, they only had 5 business days and that included a holiday...They purchased because they are retired and like to travel, but also wanted to gift some trips here and there to their kids. We are especially grateful for this but I want to make sure they get the best bang for their buck. What they purchased was a deeded property at Orange lake.

We like the opportunity to go different places, and not always go back to the same resort at the same time of the year so we'd rather not be locked into that if at all possible. I would say they would like to travel atleast 3-4 weeks a year and possibly gift 2-3 weeks to their Kids. If you ( the community ) has any great ideas about how to best accomplish this I would sincerely appreciate it. Im not rulling out a timeshare as they can be flexible, however we just want to probably purchase it on the 2nd hand market to get a better deal.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Parents recently bought a HCI Timeshare and I quickly got them to rescind, they only had 5 business days and that included a holiday...They purchased because they are retired and like to travel, but also wanted to gift some trips here and there to their kids. We are especially grateful for this but I want to make sure they get the best bang for their buck. What they purchased was a deeded property at Orange lake.

We like the opportunity to go different places, and not always go back to the same resort at the same time of the year so we'd rather not be locked into that if at all possible. I would say they would like to travel atleast 3-4 weeks a year and possibly gift 2-3 weeks to their Kids. If you ( the community ) has any great ideas about how to best accomplish this I would sincerely appreciate it. Im not rulling out a timeshare as they can be flexible, however we just want to probably purchase it on the 2nd hand market to get a better deal.

Deleted duplicate post.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

Congrats on helping them rescind. I would suggest you read and learn as much as you can before you make a purchase. Resale can be bought at pennies on the dollar compared to the developer prices. Before buying I will suggest renting from existing owners. Many great deals can be found here on TUG. On many occasions you can rent for less then paying maintenance fees. Renting also lets you see if timesharing is a right fit for you without the commitment of buying.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My Parents recently bought a HCI Timeshare and I quickly got them to rescind ......Im not rulling out a timeshare as they can be flexible, however we just want to probably purchase it on the 2nd hand market to get a better deal.

Rescinding was good advice / Resale is a better starting point .

A lot depends on where they live / where they want to go / fly or drive etc.

Wyndham has lots of properties and is a points program so potential they could book a studio or 1 bedroom for themselves / and larger units for family or if you meet up .

Worldmark (owned by Wyndham- but separate) is a good points program - with resorts primarily west
of the Mississippi & more west coast .

Marriott- Hyatt - HIVC - HGVC -BlueGreen -Vacation Villages
then there is exchanging through RCI or Intervals International etc.

Points programs allow flexibility - which is part of your parents plan
How many points to buy in a particular system becomes the next question .

I would suggest reading TUG threads for a while to get ideas & to get the nuances
of various TS systems .

Timeshare knowledge seems to be something that is learned incrementally.
TUG has many folks who will share what they have learned .

Happy Thanksgiving

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

You are probably better off renting timeshares from others until you know what you like. Good move regarding the rescission.

Bill

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

Congrats. Good job in helping your parents. What was the purchase price?

Samuel Stuard

Reaction score
Rescinding was good advice / Resale is a better starting point .

A lot depends on where they live / where they want to go / fly or drive etc.

Wyndham has lots of properties and is a points program so potential they could book a studio or 1 bedroom for themselves / and larger units for family or if you meet up .

Worldmark (owned by Wyndham- but separate) is a good points program - with resorts primarily west
of the Mississippi & more west coast .

Marriott- Hyatt - HIVC - HGVC -BlueGreen -Vacation Villages
then there is exchanging through RCI or Intervals International etc.

Points programs allow flexibility - which is part of your parents plan
How many points to buy in a particular system becomes the next question .

I would suggest reading TUG threads for a while to get ideas & to get the nuances
of various TS systems .

Timeshare knowledge seems to be something that is learned incrementally.
TUG has many folks who will share what they have learned .

Happy Thanksgiving

Thank you much, lots to think about. We will spend some time researching when we aren't under pressure to buy. I have gone to a few Wyndham presentations, mainly because they comp you with some decent incentives so I am a bit familiar with their programs, however their pricing is astronomical. I am a bit frustrated with a few lies that I cought the salespeople in at the wyndham presentations though.

Do points work the same even if they are bought on the 2nd hand market? I definitely think the points based system is a better option as we would like to travel to many different places, not just the traditional prepurchased week at the resort.

If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas Im all ears. Thank you for your input.

SS

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thank you much, lots to think about. We will spend some time researching when we aren't under pressure to buy. I have gone to a few Wyndham presentations,

Do points work the same even if they are bought on the 2nd hand market? I definitely think the points based system is a better option as we would like to travel to many different places, not just the traditional prepurchased week at the resort

SS
Wyndham points work the same developer or resale *
There are nuances in what you want to buy in terms of lowest MF resorts- ARP for a specific property or CWA , CWP or UDI .

Start reading the Wyndham forum & you will understand what I just wrote .

<* resale points do not count towards VIP status / understanding and having a use for VIP is a graduate level TS course .>

TUG Wyndham mantra - at the 10 month reservation window (10 month ARP)- points are points .

Figure out where your family might want to go & how many points needed for a unit size & work backwards .
Realize that S. Florida in Feb may not always be available as many of those weeks at certain Wyndham resorts are still
owned in a legacy fixed week format by owners who purchased 30+ years ago)

As easyrider suggested rent a location- to test drive it .

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are probably better off renting timeshares from others until you know what you like. Good move regarding the rescission.

Bill
Great advice. Rent without commitment of paying maintenance fees. Many times you can rent for less then paying maintenance fees.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you much, lots to think about. We will spend some time researching when we aren't under pressure to buy. I have gone to a few Wyndham presentations, mainly because they comp you with some decent incentives so I am a bit familiar with their programs, however their pricing is astronomical. I am a bit frustrated with a few lies that I cought the salespeople in at the wyndham presentations though.

Do points work the same even if they are bought on the 2nd hand market? I definitely think the points based system is a better option as we would like to travel to many different places, not just the traditional prepurchased week at the resort.

If anyone has any other thoughts or ideas Im all ears. Thank you for your input.

SS
Many great rental deals on Tug rentals.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/timeshare-rentals-offered.45/