• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helping my elderly mom with timeshare

Bigcountry34

Reaction score
She’s 71 now and doubtful to travel anytime soon.

how do I find out about the details of her timeshare to help her offload it? I know nothing currently other than every year she went they convinced her to buy more points etc etc

I think the company she originally went through had Diamond in the name? And it’s in Hawaii.

sorey for the scant details - just not knowing where to start

VacayKat

Reaction score
I’d start with financial records- there are fees that have to be paid either monthly, quarterly or yearly. Once you know the company you can find the customer service line and call with your mom so that they will talk to you- get to the finance dept and find out the details. Usually they will ask questions to confirm identity if you don't have customer # but if you do that is better.

Bigcountry34

Reaction score
I’d start with financial records- there are fees that have to be paid either monthly, quarterly or yearly. Once you know the company you can find the customer service line and call with your mom so that they will talk to you- get to the finance dept and find out the details. Usually they will ask questions to confirm identity if you don't have customer # but if you do that is better.
Thank you

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It sounds like it might be Diamond Resorts.

If she was talked into buying more points and such every year, you'll need to know if she owes money on the contract. If it's not paid off, it will be very difficult to impossible to get rid of it, with the exception of possibly doing a deedback to the seller, or defaulting on the loan. The finance office will be able to tell you the details of all that. As mentioned above, you need to know the current status on what she owns.

One caveat and very strong caution: Do not allow them to talk you into joining her on the deed - that obligates you to cover the ongoing costs of things, if she defaults. Find out where things stand right now, then come back here for more specific advice. Good luck!

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If your mom isn't going to ever use this again try to give it back to Diamond. If the program is still available, many owners qualify for the Transitions program offered by Diamond which is a deed back program.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most importantly, DO NOT fall for any of those 'Get you out of your timeshare' outfits. Our experience is that they are ALL scams designed to separate you (or Mom) from more money.

You or she- will need to have the details on exactly what she owns. Whether it's paid off and/or if annual maintenance is current. If so it's pretty straight forward to deed it back to them (yes, there is a fee for this, but it ultimately stops the financial bleeding and will simplify matters for her heirs later.

If Mom is onboard with closing this chapter of her life, it will be simple. Get out all the paperwork you can locate on it then get hold of DRI Customer Service.

Good Luck, and Welcome to TUG!

Jim

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
It is likely Diamond Resorts International and part of the Hawaiian Collection. Does she still have her paperwork? Does she have her sign on information - Sign on and password?

Bigcountry34

Reaction score
It is likely Diamond Resorts International and part of the Hawaiian Collection. Does she still have her paperwork? Does she have her sign on information - Sign on and password?

yes I was able to retrieve her login and password info while visiting her. it says "DRI Hawaii Member Association" Level "Silver" Member since 2010.

Bigcountry34

Reaction score
Is your Mom aware of what she owns? Does she have the owner's package?

I would say no, she isn't aware. Unfortunately she is someone very easily convinced of things and everytime she visits, goes to another presentation where she ends up signing up for some "upgrade". I think the club fees are $4500 / year from what I can tell.

Bigcountry34

Reaction score
Most importantly, DO NOT fall for any of those 'Get you out of your timeshare' outfits. Our experience is that they are ALL scams designed to separate you (or Mom) from more money.

You or she- will need to have the details on exactly what she owns. Whether it's paid off and/or if annual maintenance is current. If so it's pretty straight forward to deed it back to them (yes, there is a fee for this, but it ultimately stops the financial bleeding and will simplify matters for her heirs later.

If Mom is onboard with closing this chapter of her life, it will be simple. Get out all the paperwork you can locate on it then get hold of DRI Customer Service.

Good Luck, and Welcome to TUG!

Jim

If I can't find the paperwork (she's not exactly a neat and organized person), what exact wording would I use to contact Diamond about finding out what she owns?

Bigcountry34

Reaction score
If your mom isn't going to ever use this again try to give it back to Diamond. If the program is still available, many owners qualify for the Transitions program offered by Diamond which is a deed back program.

Bill

Ok - thank you for the tip, I will look into this further.

Bigcountry34

Reaction score
It sounds like it might be Diamond Resorts.

If she was talked into buying more points and such every year, you'll need to know if she owes money on the contract. If it's not paid off, it will be very difficult to impossible to get rid of it, with the exception of possibly doing a deedback to the seller, or defaulting on the loan. The finance office will be able to tell you the details of all that. As mentioned above, you need to know the current status on what she owns.

One caveat and very strong caution: Do not allow them to talk you into joining her on the deed - that obligates you to cover the ongoing costs of things, if she defaults. Find out where things stand right now, then come back here for more specific advice. Good luck!

Dave

Thank you Dave - yes I will not join her on the deed, that is for sure. How would I find out if she owes money on the contract? When I logged into her account, I saw that in December she paid $4500 in dues.

Bigcountry34

Reaction score

Thank you for the information.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thank you Dave - yes I will not join her on the deed, that is for sure. How would I find out if she owes money on the contract? When I logged into her account, I saw that in December she paid $4500 in dues.

When you log onto her account, there should/might be some kind of accounting entry that shows any outstanding balance. Owing $4500 in dues isn't unexpected, if she owns a larger account. If the account is paid off, it should indicate that. If it isn't there, I'd call the Diamond(?) business office, and ask for a balance sheet on the account. They should be able to provide you information about not only what she owns, but the financial details, including any outstanding balances owing.

Dave

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is your mother not able to travel anymore? Or just wants out of her timeshare?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is your mother not able to travel anymore? Or just wants out of her timeshare?
My question too, is something wrong, because 71 is young to not be able to travel and also to be called elderly

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My question too, is something wrong, because 71 is young to not be able to travel and also to be called elderly
Yeah Bigcountry! You will be 71 before you know it, and wonder, “How did I get here?” These days elderly is at least 80s, maybe 90s. I wish you well settling this. It is too bad if your mom didn’t use and enjoy her timeshare. At TUG we love to travel, but we also want a bang for our buck, and we don’t want anyone taken advantage of!