• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with Coral Reef Resort in HHI

Goodflower76

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can give me insight on Coral Reef Resort in Hilton Head. I'm considering purchasing through EBAY, Gold Weeks Floating odd years. I have found very little information on the internet on how the Floating weeks work. I know there are certain weeks within the Gold Weeks that I can try and book, but what if the Resort is all booked for those weeks, do I basically just lose my money for that use year? And why does no one ever buy the Hilton Head timeshares on Ebay? I follow some listings and they never seem to get sold which makes me skeptical to buy one. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you prepay your MF's and request a week 12 months in advance you shouldn't have any problems getting just about any week. I would hesitate to suggest taking a gold week even for free. The MF's are just over $1000 and there is a transfer fee of $1500 so even if the current owner is paying the transfer fee for you, that means you will be paying the transfer fee if you try to get rid of it. Have you stayed at Coral Reef before? I would think during gold season you would be able to rent an equivalent unit at or below MF"s.

Goodflower76

Reaction score
Hello. Thank you for your response. I haven't stayed there before but I've been reading up on reviews, etc. I've stayed at a similar property in HHI. I have always gone back and forth about purchasing because of what you pointed out, that I could probably book for the same price as the MFs. I asked the Seller's which weeks fall into gold week, and assuming he's being honest, some of those weeks would work for my kids in school. The other listing I've followed didn't seem to have as many choices or they were a fixed week. I guess the main draw for me is that they allow owners to bring their pets (from what I understand). But I also don't want to pay MF's if I will not be able to get a unit and just end up losing my money.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Gold season is 16-22 and 35-46 https://www.eliteresortgroup.com/CR-Calendar.pdf

There are a few pet friendly units. If you reserve right at 12 months I don't think you would have any problem getting a unit during your desired time as long as you have a 2-3 week window vs a single one. If you want week 22 only and it has to be a pet friendly unit, I think you might get it some years and some years you may not providing you are willing to prepay if needed and book as soon as the booking window opens.

Having owned both Spinnaker and Palmera, I like spinnaker better, but I don't think they have any pet friendly units.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I think a large portion of the $1500 is a prepaid maintenance fee. Spinnaker does something similar.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think a large portion of the $1500 is a prepaid maintenance fee. Spinnaker does something similar.
With Palmera $1000 goes to prepay MF's and $500 goes to Elite management as a transfer fee- this is regardless of sale or EY or EOY. With Spinnaker 100% of the fee $1500 for annual or $750 for EOY goes to prepay MF's. Spinnaker charges an additional $150 as a straight out transfer fee.