• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with ACA Proof of Income

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So I applied for an ACA plan today. All went well for effective coverage for 3/1. However, they want documents showing proof of income and I cannot get a straight answer as to how I prove income when last year is nothing like this year is projected to be!

We stated income at the lowest level before we would be forced on Medicaid. We essentially will be living on cash savings this year. So the only income that we will have is interest and dividends, unless we sell an investment, which we don't anticipate doing unless we have to bring our income up to that stated income mark for 2020.

So they are telling me to write a letter of explanation, which I will do, and to also send documents (?). I suppose I can send them 1099's from last year, but they will be under the income amount stated.

Does anyone know how I can handle this without getting the run around form the bureaucracy? There are no navigators in NH so I cannot consult with one.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
If worst comes to worst, you can pay the higher amount and it will be adjusted when you do your tax return for 2020

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If worst comes to worst, you can pay the higher amount and it will be adjusted when you do your tax return for 2020

Good point. But my goal is not to pay the higher amount, because otherwise I would just stay on my husband's employer's retiree health plan, which that premium is probably lower, and avoid all the aggravation.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Write letter that you have both stopped working and retired and indicate total amount of estimated taxable account interests and dividends. If that is not enough to get you to the income above Medicaid, then also indicate that x amount will be withdrawn from IRA. Submit 2019 year end taxable account interests and dividends statements, separation/termination/retirement documentation given to you by the 2 employers.

geekette

Reaction score
on no... I was on that damned treadmill for a long time. I cannot tell you how many times I sent info in and it was forever more requiring me to keep sending stuff... another reason to just say no this year. How many times do you need the same copy of the only documents I have??!! I quit answering their calls and letters.

Send what you have, send the letter of explanation. I know you are a smart cookie that makes copies, so do so. When you start getting the We Need Info From You, you can start down that familiar trail I walked - I sent this and this on this date. we don't have it, send it again. a month later, same thing.

They had me on this stupidity for 4 months last year. I finally got insurance in April, and they kept on asking for same crap they had had for months... Not fooling with them ever again.

If I could tell you it was a breeze, over and done, I would. But it was honestly a big pain in the butt, and I eventually ignored their repeated requests because it was too ridiculous to consider ever responding again. I only have what I have, and you have it. leave me alone!

I hope it is quick, easy, and done for you fast, that maybe right hand and left hand know what they are doing now. do not hold your breath.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO it is insanity that people who have low reportable income, but are still willing and able to pay a reasonable amount for an ACA Plan, are forced into Medicaid. Heck it could even be a rich Uncle is willing to pay the premium for them. Why should the Government care where they get the money? All forcing these people into Medicaid will accomplish it to get them inferior medical care and clog Medicaid services for those who really need them...

George

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So I started writing a letter and was having an anxiety attack just thinking of the BS I will have to go through. (I will add that after going through hell back in NY with mine and my husband's Medicare and knowing that I would have to do it all over again, my worst nightmare came true this week. I literally- no exaggeration- was on the phone for 4 1/2 hours for my husband's Medigap plan and Part D plan for NH! Any other person would have given up or just went along with what the reps were saying. But I am persistent and I knew better and stayed the course- though more of my hair has fallen out. Long story but I prevailed. But this is a whole 'nother story. Just awful. No one knows what the heck they are doing and it is because of the convoluted health care system we have and the over reliance of computer systems that don't allow for real life deviations).

New Hampshire lost it's funding for ACA Navigators, but somehow I tracked down a person who USED to be a Navigator. She works at the local low income medical clinic right here. When I called her she immediately set up a 3 way conference call with this guy at healthapplys.com. He called me later on when he got home and he essentially is a broker and he attached himself to my application. He then asked me a bunch of questions and said he was going to write a letter for me and send it off. He said they probably won't even look at it until April because it is technically not due until May.

I am worried that they will come back asking for more documentation of something that has not even occurred yet, but he said for now he will just send the letter and see what happens. He seemed to know what they are looking for-hopefully. My head was exploding looking at my 2018 tax returns and paperwork for this year's taxes which I have not filed yet as I do not even have our brokerage statement yet (it comes in March and I am having a CPA do them this year because I am on overload).

I just can't handle anything else. I am so sick of this - back to no life and wasting entire days on this stuff. Does it ever end?! UGH!

He even said I might not even hear anything. But he said that if they do not accept the letter or any document they might request, they could increase my premiums to $900 per month! That is almost double what my retiree medical insurance is!

Or. of course, they could cancel the insurance altogether.

If they cancel my insurance down the road I can go back on the retiree medical. I am not sure if they raise my premiums if I can just go back on the retiree medical. OMG. I really cannot take it.

Retiree medical is paid up until 3/1 and that is when the ACA plan kicks in. On 3/2 , I have to call my retiree plan- the employer, actually- and put the retiree medical on hold. I hope I am not making a big mistake.

This is why I did not want to go through this, but my FA insisted I give it a go. I really can't take the stress and worry any longer.What geekette went through I could see happening. Even my husband's plans- I sent forms they needed for power of atty- spent a lot on postage- and - no where to be found. SMH.....Still waiting for the fun.....

Who are these retirees that say being retired is like a vacation? I haven't experienced that yet. Everyday it is more health insurance bs and phone calls and stupidity. I can't seem to shake it from my life! What do the stupid people do?

geekette

Reaction score
....He even said I might not even hear anything. But he said that if they do not accept the letter or any document they might request, they could increase my premiums to $900 per month! That is almost double what my retiree medical insurance is!

yes, my premiums are 875/mo, that is exactly why I am not buying insurance this year. Today I met with my oncologist and at check-in, I was chit chatting with the admin (the lady that runs the place in all but title). She seemed shocked by the 875, and it was 675 last year (no amount of sending in same paperwork repeatedly moved that needle). I asked, in fake fear, "this appointment isn't going to cost $900 is it? Dr Erin is worth it, but ..."

Nope. $70, pay at time of service. thank you, HSA.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So I started writing a letter and was having an anxiety attack just thinking of the BS I will have to go through. (I will add that after going through hell back in NY with mine and my husband's Medicare and knowing that I would have to do it all over again, my worst nightmare came true this week. I literally- no exaggeration- was on the phone for 4 1/2 hours for my husband's Medigap plan and Part D plan for NH! Any other person would have given up or just went along with what the reps were saying. But I am persistent and I knew better and stayed the course- though more of my hair has fallen out. Long story but I prevailed. But this is a whole 'nother story. Just awful. No one knows what the heck they are doing and it is because of the convoluted health care system we have and the over reliance of computer systems that don't allow for real life deviations).

New Hampshire lost it's funding for ACA Navigators, but somehow I tracked down a person who USED to be a Navigator. She works at the local low income medical clinic right here. When I called her she immediately set up a 3 way conference call with this guy at healthapplys.com. He called me later on when he got home and he essentially is a broker and he attached himself to my application. He then asked me a bunch of questions and said he was going to write a letter for me and send it off. He said they probably won't even look at it until April because it is technically not due until May.

I am worried that they will come back asking for more documentation of something that has not even occurred yet, but he said for now he will just send the letter and see what happens. He seemed to know what they are looking for-hopefully. My head was exploding looking at my 2018 tax returns and paperwork for this year's taxes which I have not filed yet as I do not even have our brokerage statement yet (it comes in March and I am having a CPA do them this year because I am on overload).

I just can't handle anything else. I am so sick of this - back to no life and wasting entire days on this stuff. Does it ever end?! UGH!

He even said I might not even hear anything. But he said that if they do not accept the letter or any document they might request, they could increase my premiums to $900 per month! That is almost double what my retiree medical insurance is!

Or. of course, they could cancel the insurance altogether.

If they cancel my insurance down the road I can go back on the retiree medical. I am not sure if they raise my premiums if I can just go back on the retiree medical. OMG. I really cannot take it.

Retiree medical is paid up until 3/1 and that is when the ACA plan kicks in. On 3/2 , I have to call my retiree plan- the employer, actually- and put the retiree medical on hold. I hope I am not making a big mistake.

This is why I did not want to go through this, but my FA insisted I give it a go. I really can't take the stress and worry any longer.What geekette went through I could see happening. Even my husband's plans- I sent forms they needed for power of atty- spent a lot on postage- and - no where to be found. SMH.....Still waiting for the fun.....

Who are these retirees that say being retired is like a vacation? I haven't experienced that yet. Everyday it is more health insurance bs and phone calls and stupidity. I can't seem to shake it from my life! What do the stupid people do?
Retirement is like a vacation. Just imagine working full time and having to do this, where would you find the time? Eventually it will all be done and you will be able to start relaxing.

All I know is with ACA my other half each year had issues with reporting. Each year they ask for proof of income and they really can’t get the concept investment income varies. I know the first year he retired they did not change to investment income counting a higher income. You might get back your premiums but you do not get back the increased deductibles or copayments.

All I know is ACA for him was a nightmare in many ways, insurance was worse and worse each year, costing more.

Can you definitely get back on retiree medical? and how long would you have to wait? I would not only look at what you are saving on premiums with ACA but if you are really getting an equivalent medical coverage. Plus under ACA you don’t know what it will be next year.

I will be stressing with you. Just found out my other half just got approved for military retirement. It was supposed to happen in August but they were behind. He is on ACA and now are told his tricare goes back to August. What this means is we have to call insurance and ACA and report new coverage. All bills from August on will need to be reimbursed and will have to be sent to Tricare. Basically wiping out ACA since August. To make matters worse, his tax statement for ACA will now be incorrect so he will have to apply to delay his taxes until he gets the corrected one and on and on it will go. I can just imagine how many hours, days, months this will take to be fixed. Two government agencies, will be a nightmare. I have no doubt the insurance company will immediately work on getting their money back. But the great news is he can finally go back to the doctors he used for years before he was told each year you can’t use this doctor anymore.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sorry @geekette that it was a difficult process for you. It was a breeze for me. I pre-empted what I believe they needed and submitted all documentation as I stated above to @WinniWoman. No other documentation was needed beyond what I had submitted the first time and I got the approval within a couple of weeks.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
To make matters worse- I just found out I cannot pay my premiums with my HSA account $! And this morning I gave the rep my HSA credit card and put it on autopay and now no one- BUT NOONE- in Healthcare marketplace or Ambetter can find me in the system to change it yet as I am too new!

In fact- I also gave that credit card for my husbands Part D plan for NY and the premiums were taken out of the HSA for January and February and that is against the rules. Nothing I can do about it now? Or is there? OMG...

Then on top of it- I have been taking my retiree medical premiums out of my HSA. Does anyone know if that is ok? I know you can take Cobra premiums out, so I just assumed you can do the same with retiree medical. Really-My head is spinning and I am really so unhappy and on the verge of a nervous break down with all this. Yes- and crying...

I cannot even remember how I paid for my husband's Part G plan now starting March 1st (the NY one was put on a regular credit card because I remembered you can't pay a Medicare supplement with the HSA. But this time around I do not know what the heck I did). I am so confused it is not even funny.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

See the section on unearned income

Yes. I know. But none of them are applicable to the year 2020 because it did not happen yet. Last year we had income. This year- no. It is all so ridiculous.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Retirement is like a vacation. Just imagine working full time and having to do this, where would you find the time? Eventually it will all be done and you will be able to start relaxing.

All I know is with ACA my other half each year had issues with reporting. Each year they ask for proof of income and they really can’t get the concept investment income varies. I know the first year he retired they did not change to investment income counting a higher income. You might get back your premiums but you do not get back the increased deductibles or copayments.

All I know is ACA for him was a nightmare in many ways, insurance was worse and worse each year, costing more.

Can you definitely get back on retiree medical? and how long would you have to wait? I would not only look at what you are saving on premiums with ACA but if you are really getting an equivalent medical coverage. Plus under ACA you don’t know what it will be next year.

I will be stressing with you. Just found out my other half just got approved for military retirement. It was supposed to happen in August but they were behind. He is on ACA and now are told his tricare goes back to August. What this means is we have to call insurance and ACA and report new coverage. All bills from August on will need to be reimbursed and will have to be sent to Tricare. Basically wiping out ACA since August. To make matters worse, his tax statement for ACA will now be incorrect so he will have to apply to delay his taxes until he gets the corrected one and on and on it will go. I can just imagine how many hours, days, months this will take to be fixed. Two government agencies, will be a nightmare. I have no doubt the insurance company will immediately work on getting their money back. But the great news is he can finally go back to the doctors he used for years before he was told each year you can’t use this doctor anymore.

OMG! That is a double nightmare! I am glad your husband can finally be on Tricare and have his doctors again, but what a horrible process to go through! And then your taxes being postponed. That would put me over the edge.

This is a vacation? Are you kidding me? I have been doing this all day today from early in the morning. Then spent a whole 'nother 12 hour day with the Medicare nightmare stuff the other day! I want to hang up paintings in my house and get to know the area. But I am stuck with this sh--2846t all day almost every day and just when I think everything is resolved it turns up again.

With the ACA coverage I am applying for and our income level, the premiums would be $40 per month Silver plan and no deductible in an EPO program. Yes- you read that right. $8 doctor copays. Generic prescriptions $0. Can refer myself to specialists. Etc.

That compared to the retiree medical at $545 per month and crazy high deductible. Yes- it is a POS plan, but for the year and a half until Medicare I think the EPO is worth trying. That is- before tonight and this mess. I really feel like cancelling everything and being on nothing. I am exhausted and another whole day gone just spent on this. I still have to make phone calls tomorrow. My life is still on hold. I am so done.

Because a lot of it is new from enrolling this week, I don't even know if I can do anything about anything- so it will all be hanging for a couple of weeks and be even more of a mess. I cannot seem to shake this off me!

I cannot believe a simple thing like calling to change my credit card is an impossible task. This is the definition of an insane system! The phone calls- the people repeating the same things like robots over and over again. Asking you the same identity questions again. On the phone for a half hour and still didn't get the help you needed. Nothing resolved. I am about to give up and take my chances.

If I cancel the ACA and stay with the retiree medical and can;t use my HSA money to pay the premiums I do not know what I will do. This is all so crazy.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So I just spent a half hour on the phone changing my HSA credit card for my husband's NY part D premium for February from the HSA one to a regular one, only to find a Kiplinger article later on that says you CAN pay part D premiums out of an HSA account!!! Did you think one of the Part D reps I spoke to would have told me that so I did not have to go through this? NOoooooo.! OMG. I can then reimburse myself the premium from the HSA account if I want.

Well- I stopped the recurring payments on the NY plan since March 1st he has a NH plan and those will be reimbursed by his newly funded HRA plan and those I put on a regular credit card assuming I cannot "double dip"., Can you believe this all this nonsense?! The premiums are minuscule anyway.

Tomorrow I again will try to see what I can do with the other insurances. I dread another day of this!

Funny- I would be a great insured for the ACA plan as I am healthy and they would be lucky to have me as a customer.

But after these experiences I will probably have a stroke. Health insurance making me ill.

geekette

Reaction score
I am sorry @geekette that it was a difficult process for you. It was a breeze for me. I pre-empted what I believe they needed and submitted all documentation as I stated above to @WinniWoman. No other documentation was needed beyond what I had submitted the first time and I got the approval within a couple of weeks.
it honestly made no sense. I was receiving a fixed amount from my disability policy every month.

I figure something got stuck somewhere, a knob turned to "pester this person" accidentally. They never cancelled me, but I was willing to be cancelled vs the ridiculousness. They oddly re-enrolled me this year, tho I took no action. Keep getting mail and calls which I ignore. MHS Ambetter. Never again.

They also denied way too many claims, including for routine scrips.

geekette

Reaction score

UGH! Yes, that is going to peg the Hassleometer. Stock up on your favorite alcohol.

The whole "can't see that doctor" thing annoys the crap out of me. I would make an appt anyway. But, I'm like that. I do not easily part with doctors that I really like and am willing to pay for the privilege.

geekette

Reaction score
To make matters worse- I just found out I cannot pay my premiums with my HSA account $! And this morning I gave the rep my HSA credit card and put it on autopay and now no one- BUT NOONE- in Healthcare marketplace or Ambetter can find me in the system to change it yet as I am too new!

In fact- I also gave that credit card for my husbands Part D plan for NY and the premiums were taken out of the HSA for January and February and that is against the rules. Nothing I can do about it now? Or is there? OMG...

Then on top of it- I have been taking my retiree medical premiums out of my HSA. Does anyone know if that is ok? I know you can take Cobra premiums out, so I just assumed you can do the same with retiree medical. Really-My head is spinning and I am really so unhappy and on the verge of a nervous break down with all this. Yes- and crying...

I cannot even remember how I paid for my husband's Part G plan now starting March 1st (the NY one was put on a regular credit card because I remembered you can't pay a Medicare supplement with the HSA. But this time around I do not know what the heck I did). I am so confused it is not even funny.
Call your HSA company, see if you can put the money back on an oopsie. In same calendar year that should be possible.

I wondered if premiums could be paid from HSA. I'm sorry you found the answer first hand. I didn't try it because the 675/mo would have blown one of my HSAs and taken a deep bite from another.

It cannot be the case that you are "too new" to be found in a system. I could understand if whatever screen that rep can see won't show them, but that just means you need to go higher up the chain. Which I know you will. And, dammit, it will be a hassle.

I refused to put my ins payments on autopay (and got plenty of calls, emails and letters about how very much they wanted me on autopay, allegedly for my convenience). I wanted to be able to easily drop insurance without having to get my payment out of their system.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
IMO it is insanity that people who have low reportable income, but are still willing and able to pay a reasonable amount for an ACA Plan, are forced into Medicaid.
Let me tell you how fun it was to live in a state that refused the Medicaid expansion and had to pay the full unsubsidized rate for a marketplace plan.

It wasn’t.

geekette

Reaction score
IMO it is insanity that people who have low reportable income, but are still willing and able to pay a reasonable amount for an ACA Plan, are forced into Medicaid. Heck it could even be a rich Uncle is willing to pay the premium for them. Why should the Government care where they get the money? All forcing these people into Medicaid will accomplish it to get them inferior medical care and clog Medicaid services for those who really need them...

George
I ran into this hassle. I knew I made too much for Medicaid, but the exchange would not let me go forward until they diverted for months to Medicaid processing, so I guess they could get the seal of denial. I am a single adult with no dependents, the numbers are very clear here. This is So Easy! That was months, part of why I did not get 2019 insurance until April.

Not sure that Medicaid is automatically bad care or clogging of any kind (except shoving people like me through the administrative front run - I can't be the only one dumped to them to process). that said, a person could simply buy a policy privately, avoiding exchange hassles completely. I would have gone that route but those were more expensive than exchange plans.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

George
I have made a career out of working with laws and regulations. (I've been environmental compliance review and assistance for industrial facilities and public utilities for over 45 years now.) When I start working with a new client I generally tell them we can talk about regulations and we can talk about what makes sense, but it's going to be difficult to talk about both of those at the same time.

Brett

Reaction score
I did the ACA "Obamacare" the first year and if you only had unearned income then a listing of IRA withdrawals and/or what you received in dividends, interest or capital gains was accepted for current proof of income. I don't remember it being much of a hassle but there was some required documentation.
It's unfortunate that it's now more difficult to enroll and the yearly healthcare subsidies have been drastically reduced

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I did the ACA "Obamacare" the first year and if you only had unearned income then a listing of IRA withdrawals and/or what you received in dividends, interest or capital gains was accepted for current proof of income. I don't remember it being much of a hassle but there was some required documentation.
It's unfortunate that it's now more difficult to enroll and the yearly healthcare subsidies have been drastically reduced

The thing is this works if you did this the year BEFORE you applied for ACA. But if you are applying the first year you will be living on unearned income, you don't have proof, except last years interest and dividends, which could still be much different the year you are applying for.