• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help w international car insurance with Marriott CC

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes
Does anyone who has the Marriott Credit Card know if it covers international car insurance in Italy?

Tamino

Reaction score
Insurance usually comes not from the card issuing bank but from the entity through which the card is processed such as Visa or Mastercard. Visa/MC insurance is secondary insurance meaning that it supplements other insurance you may have. Personal auto insurance policies do not necessarily cover rentals and if they do, they rarely cover rentals outside of your own country. You should confirm what coverage you may or may not already have.

If you use Visa/MC insurance for rentals while traveling, it will be your responsibility to pay all damages, to deal with the rental company and any injured third party. Visa/MC insurance only reimburses you and the amount may or may not be your actual cost or loss.

Those in the UK can purchase rental insurance at very reasonable rates through companies such as Insurance 4 Car Hire or Car Hire Insurance. Those from the US who have American Express cards should look into AmEx insurance for $25 which covers almost any eventuality.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a toll free customer service number on the back of the card. Call it.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does. It will be primary out of the country. They will send you a statement verifying this in case it's needed at the time of rental. I verified for Europe over the summer.

Do check on your own just in case something changes for 2016.

(They pay as primary and sole insurer outside the country. )

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Insurance usually comes not from the card issuing bank but from the entity through which the card is processed such as Visa or Mastercard. Visa/MC insurance is secondary insurance meaning that it supplements other insurance you may have. Personal auto insurance policies do not necessarily cover rentals and if they do, they rarely cover rentals outside of your own country. You should confirm what coverage you may or may not already have.

If you use Visa/MC insurance for rentals while traveling, it will be your responsibility to pay all damages, to deal with the rental company and any injured third party. Visa/MC insurance only reimburses you and the amount may or may not be your actual cost or loss.

Those in the UK can purchase rental insurance at very reasonable rates through companies such as Insurance 4 Car Hire or Car Hire Insurance. Those from the US who have American Express cards should look into AmEx insurance for $25 which covers almost any eventuality.

I don't think the coverage is consistent across issuers or even individual cards at the same issuer. We have the Marriott Rewards credit card through Chase. It is a Visa and offers secondary CDW rental car coverage. We also have the United MileagePlus credit card, also through Chase and also a Visa. It offers primary CDW rental car coverage.

I also do think in some cases the company providing the coverage will reimburse the rental car agency directly. It isn't always a reimbursement after you have paid for the costs. Rental car companies are working with credit card CDW companies all the time. They certainly can't always charge the cost of damage to a renters credit card. Especially if the car is a total loss.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
There are many things to keep in mind when renting in a foreign country, not the least of all would be that countries laws regarding liablity and payment. Then you have the coverage provided by the credit card to consider, is it primary or secondary, and you're own auto policy, which may provide coverage as well.

Because of the complexity and liability issues surrounding car hires in foreign countries, we've always felt it best to either forgo renting a car and rely on public transportation, which is often very good in Europe, or take out every ounce of coverage/waivers offered by the car hire company. In Ireland and Scotland that served us well. In Ireland we blew out two tires on a Sunday far away from any carriege house and, in Scotland, I knocked off a wind scope under the front end of the car. In Ireland they sent a truck out to pick up the car, put new tires on it and that was it. Without the assitance of the car hire company, getting our car to a carriage house, paying for new tires and then filing a claim would have been problematic at best.

Sure I'm perhaps over cautious and maybe the credit card would have covered the expense in the end but, not having to provide payment up front for the tow and tires plus not having to worry about the process to get reimbursed was worth the cost of the waiver protection. These things happened to a person who has had one traffic violation in the last 15 years and no at-fault accidents in over 20 years ( I have been rearended by a girl texting while driving and backed into by another person in a parking lot).

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Also check if there are restrictions based on the length of rental if you are renting for more than 1 week. Many CC car rental benefits do no apply if you are renting for 15 or more days.

dima

TUG Member
Reaction score
This card works for rentals no longer then 30 days and works well!
I had an accident in Spain and I was reimbursed 500 euros in about 3 weeks after filing the claim. I always use this card when renting in Europe and always decline proveded by rental company insurance:whoopie:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I don't think the coverage is consistent across issuers or even individual cards at the same issuer. We have the Marriott Rewards credit card through Chase. It is a Visa and offers secondary CDW rental car coverage. We also have the United MileagePlus credit card, also through Chase and also a Visa. It offers primary CDW rental car coverage.

I also do think in some cases the company providing the coverage will reimburse the rental car agency directly. It isn't always a reimbursement after you have paid for the costs. Rental car companies are working with credit card CDW companies all the time. They certainly can't always charge the cost of damage to a renters credit card. Especially if the car is a total loss.
Absolutely correct.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Liability included w/ all rentals in Europe?

My understanding is that liability is included w/ all rentals in Europe by law. You are protected for damage to people or property outside your vehicle. $0 deductible.

Your credit card coverage would then be for what happens to your vehicle.

Will someone please correct me if this is bad info. Not sure where injuries to passengers stand in all this.

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This card works for rentals no longer then 30 days and works well!
I had an accident in Spain and I was reimbursed 500 euros in about 3 weeks after filing the claim. I always use this card when renting in Europe and always decline proveded by rental company insurance:whoopie:

You are referring to the Marriott Chase black card.....

vlapinta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It does. It will be primary out of the country. They will send you a statement verifying this in case it's needed at the time of rental. I verified for Europe over the summer.

Do check on your own just in case something changes for 2016.

(They pay as primary and sole insurer outside the country. )

So you used the Marriott black card in Europe this past summer? Thanks!