• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help us choose - Mayan Palace Puerta Vallarta or Nueva Vallarta??

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
We have friends who are booking in a few days and they said we can pick - they don't care which on we go to. What are the differences - which one would you stay at and why??

Three of the four of us are golfers - love spa stuff as well. Nice pretty beach with palapa's and cocktail service is a plus.

We have only been in Puerto Vallarta as a cruise stop for the day a few times.

Thank you!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Well, since you mentioned golf, spa, palapas on the beach with cocktail service, I would choose the Nuevo MP. It has all of those. The PV resort is smaller and very convenient to the Marina area and local bus service. We like that especially, but, the beach is very small there and there are not too many palapas. It is not on the MP golf course. There is one not too far away though.

The spa in NV is really nice, as is the huge beach - I think it is nearly a mile long.

I like them both and try my best to get consecutive weeks in PV & NV whenever I can so that we can enjoy both.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Babs,

They are both nice for different reasons. The beach at NV is nicer, but don't expect them to be like the ones on the Caribbean side...the sand is not as soft. I've never used the NV spa, so can't speak to that.

The advantage to PV is the proximity to town and the Marina across the street--go across the street and hop on an inexpensive bus ride to get downtown. (Just don't use the ATM machine across the street from the MP--3 of us had huge withdrawals from our accounts a whole 6 mos. later. But it could happen anywhere.)

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Really depends what you want to do....spend a lot of time at resort and just go into PV a day or two, then Mayan in NV, but if want to be closer to PV and such then Mayan in PV.

The Mayan in PV is maller than the one in NV and the one in NV is quite impressive......the other posters hit the nail on the head so good luck with your decision!!! Have fun!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We were in Nariyat at the Villa del Palmar Flamigos last week. This is about 4 miles from the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta where we are now and I would rather be back at Flamigos. The rooms at the Grand Mayan are nice but the resort is too big.
You can Golf anywhere no matter where you stay. Just show up at the course. Puerto Vallarta sucks. Its ok for a visit but its just a big city with a dirty beach.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Is the Grand Mayan property you are speaking of right near the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta? I guess I am not sure where the Villa del Palmar Flamigos property is in relation to the city.

We stayed at a Grand Mayan in Acapulco in September and it was very nice. But - it is Mexico - standards are a bit different...

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The GM is in Nuevo

the property connects with the MP grounds. Flamingos is in Nuevo.

The location of the Marina MP is great to explore the city, I disagree with the previous poster , PV is a real city in Mexico, with history and the charm of the Mexican people.

Some prefer the sterile areas like Cabo. Nuevo and Cancun that were built just for tourists, and if that is what your prefer, then please pick Nuevo.

We own at the Mp and the GM, we prefer the Marina location so we will be in the MP this year.
We are hopeful that the Grupo Mayan will build a GM in the area across the street where the old Sea Garden was removed.

Enjoy yourselves,

Greg

Is the Grand Mayan property you are speaking of right near the Mayan Palace in Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta? I guess I am not sure where the Villa del Palmar Flamigos property is in relation to the city.

We stayed at a Grand Mayan in Acapulco in September and it was very nice. But - it is Mexico - standards are a bit different...

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Flamingos is 4 miles down the road from the Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. Flamingos has newer type buildings and swiming pools. Flamingos also has a nice hot tub by the beach.
The Grand Mayan has older type pools with tile and exposed agragate concrete. There is no outdoor hot tub at the GM. Should you end up in a unit in the 3rd or 4th building at the GM you will be walking forever to get to your room as the GM is huge. The GM would be a great place for families with kids who enjoy swiming pools and kid activities.
Nuevo Vallarta is clean. Puerto Vallarta is dirty. If you want to see a nice town thats old Mexico the places we like are Saluita and San Francisco on the Pacific Ocean 25 miles away from PV.

pvr117.jpg

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The location of the Marina MP is great to explore the city, I disagree with the previous poster , PV is a real city in Mexico, with history and the charm of the Mexican people.

Some prefer the sterile areas like Cabo. Nuevo and Cancun that were built just for tourists, and if that is what your prefer, then please pick Nuevo.
Agree with Greg. After being at both places, we prefer the PV location because of its proximity to downtown PV (and we often use the Marina area across the street). If we want to venture to outlying areas which also have 'charm,' we either take a bus or drive, or get a special driver if we have a few couples.

NV is nice, but I agree it is awfully spread out. Neither of these resorts is going to give you the beach experience you would have in Cancun or other areas of the Caribbean. I don't go for the beach, but for the culture and variety of scenery and experiences.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are golf course very close to the GM in Nuevo. Our wives had a massage yesterday that they really enjoyed. We all like the pool and beach service. Our room is very nice with a great view of the bay and swiming pools. This is a nice resort. Its kind of big. The bellboys do all the luggage and groceries. From the entrance of the GM in Nuevo they will pick you up in a golf cart as the course is just across the street.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Easyrider - I get it that you are not fond of Puerto Vallarta!! My fave of all towns in Mexico is San Felipe in Baja. We used to love Cabo long before all the development began down there.

The pools and grounds that you are describing are at the Grand Mayan, yes?? I was only asking for comparative differences between the two Mayan Palace resorts in the area. My understanding is that Mayan Palace owners may not use the pools at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo.

My companions are golf lovers - they will probably golf 5 of our 7 days... I am hoping for two things; a nice clean resort to lull around in by myself (read, sun, eat, work out) while my husband and our friends golf, and somewhere that we can still 'get to' the hustle and bustle of town when they are not golfing.

If staying at Nuevo - can we rent a car for a couple days - picking up nearby the property? How costly is a driver for a day there if we opt for that route?

How far is the airport from Nuevo; from PV?

How long a drive is in to town from Nuevo?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We rented a full size car at the airport, Pontiac G6 at Avis so were able to get away to some cool places.
The first week was in Flamingos and the second at the Grand Mayan. There is a pool for adults only on the south end of the resort with beach Palapas and plenty of shade. There is also pool service here. This is the area we like the most. The beach has alot of gravel in this area at the wave line so its harder to get in with bare feet.
The pools at the Grand Mayan are for kids, so your not misssing anything if you cant use them. The lazy river, wave pool and water slide are what my kids and grand kids would like.

Construction has picked up next to the Mayan Palace this morning. You really didnt notice any noise at the south pools. I dont think they start making noise until 9 am and there done working by 4 pm. This building is scheduled to be completed by October 2009.

tofdel1

Reaction score
Easyrider - I get it that you are not fond of Puerto Vallarta!! My fave of all towns in Mexico is San Felipe in Baja. We used to love Cabo long before all the development began down there.

The pools and grounds that you are describing are at the Grand Mayan, yes?? I was only asking for comparative differences between the two Mayan Palace resorts in the area. My understanding is that Mayan Palace owners may not use the pools at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo.

My companions are golf lovers - they will probably golf 5 of our 7 days... I am hoping for two things; a nice clean resort to lull around in by myself (read, sun, eat, work out) while my husband and our friends golf, and somewhere that we can still 'get to' the hustle and bustle of town when they are not golfing.

If staying at Nuevo - can we rent a car for a couple days - picking up nearby the property? How costly is a driver for a day there if we opt for that route?

How far is the airport from Nuevo; from PV?

How long a drive is in to town from Nuevo?

If you will be golfing that much-there are at least 3 courses very close by. The Mayan Golf course is being updated right now. There are only 9 holes open. There is also El Tigre, and Flamingos courses not far away.

I think easyrider is describing the "Grand" not "Mayan Palace".
"My understanding is that Mayan Palace owners may not use the pools at the Grand Mayan in Nuevo." ---- I think you are correct. Grand owners/renters can use the other resorts facilities, but Palace renters can only use Palace and Sea Garden(down the road).

There is some construction by the Palace resort, but it doesn't seem like it interfears, as far as I know.

I would ask which would you be driving more to Puerto Vallarta or to go golfing? The Mayans have a rental agency also.

The photo is mostly showing the Grand section. The Palace section is the red and yellow structures and that area. Hard to see much from that photo.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, we were at the Grand Mayan but did check out the Mayan Palace and the Sea Garden. The Mayan Palace is next to the steel structure being built called the Luxxe. The building in front of the Luxxe will be torn down to build the Bliss. The Luxxe should be done by Oct 2009.

It seems it takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport by car and maybe 30 minutes to the malecon parking garage. The only wrecks we saw were taxis. One taxi was under a bus and all in the taxi were injured. Another taxi hit a taxi. This was in PV central. If you rent a car, rent from Avis. awd k444404 will cut the price by 30-40 %. Use a visa that has rental car coverage and Avis has allready included liability with their rate.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Thank you - we may rent a car this time. We stayed in Acapulco in September and just hired a driver.