• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help- thinking of buying Islandview resale at older WKORV

Pabs

Reaction score
I am on the island now and just concluded a five night promo stay at the property. We loved it and thought the developer cost was nuts. After some investigating I found that we could buy an island view week 52 resale for around $25k /$2400 MF.

I guess my question is we would most likely use this particular property every other year. How easy is it to trade out within the SVN network or interchange? Long term we would not always need week 52. However, I would like to flexibility for the next four years and in the future when we have grandkids in the school system. Our Kids are older and off to college, my wife and I plan to travel fairly extensively as long as we can. Probably have four more solid family vacations-gap until we have grandkids and would want to pull the family together on vacation.

Will this save us money?

Thanks,

Paul

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Week 52 has very high rental potential - in the years you can't use it, you can rent it for a nice profit.

I would not use it as a trader - too expensive for that.

Pabs

Reaction score
Thanks – how hard is it to exchange and try and get a week 51 or 52 elsewhere. I understand it being expensive for a trader. Only want to buy one of these and have some flexibility.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks – how hard is it to exchange and try and get a week 51 or 52 elsewhere. I understand it being expensive for a trader. Only want to buy one of these and have some flexibility.

It is really, really difficult at the most popular resorts - those are the highest demand weeks of the year, and generally, owners will use them or rent them, so they aren't available for Staroption reservations.

At some resorts, you have to own week 51 or 52 to reserve them, and they aren't available for Staroption reservations at all.

You can probably rent it for $4,500 - $5,000.

Last edited:

Pabs

Reaction score
Thanks again- is it the same experience with 51 or 52 through an interval exchange?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Week 52 is also going to have expensive airfare most of the time. If this isn't the time you would want to normally want to travel, you might want to upgrade the view and go with a 1-50.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again- is it the same experience with 51 or 52 through an interval exchange?

Even worse - you never get equal value for a week like this by exchanging it. Like depositing a Mercedes in a pool of Chevys. ;)

I would not buy this week unless you want to use it most of the time. You are paying far more for week 52 than you would for a week that floats 1-50.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pabs

Reaction score
Based on the Rofr history week 52(island view) is only about $5k more than a 1-50 floating ocean view. For the extra 5k I figured it would be worth having the flexibility to travel during the holidays when needed.

Is it still challenging to exchange in Jan-March in general if I do not want to travel in weeks 51-52? Thanks again

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No its just that island view can mean parking lot view at that resort and if you are paying all that money in MF's and travel, you might want more. If you want to travel on a regular basis at other times of the year and are comfortable exchanging through SVN, you might as well buy a Kierland for less with substantially less MF's.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it still challenging to exchange in Jan-March in general if I do not want to travel in weeks 51-52? Thanks again

If you are talking about the Westin Ka'anapali, or any of the other top resorts - yes. You have to make the reservation the second the Staroption reservation window opens at 8 mos. before check-in.

But if you buy a 1-50 Ocean View floating week, you can make your reservation 12 mos. before check-in.

I just wouldn't spend this much for an Island View - unless you really want week 52.

To buy it for a trader is over-kill, because it will have the same number of Staroptions as a 1-50 floating week.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Mods,

Please change thread thread title from WKV to WKORV.

Thx.

Sent from my iPad

Pabs

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your great insights. Glad I found this community.

Information you provided has been very helpful. I will continue to look and see if I can get a great resale deal for an ocean view. It seems like if I get a week 51 or 52 Island view it will still be hard to sell if neccassary.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think it will be hard to sell. I think it might be hard to sell getting the price you paid back. Selling an Island view 1-50 especially a Deluxe Island view 1-50 with the higher MF's are the ones that are hard to sell.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In TUG acronyms...
WKV = Westin Kierland Villas

so title is misleading.

btw- not my villa, but a work colleague was looking to sell their week 51 (fixed) at WKORVN (OV - I think), but not much success.

Pabs

Reaction score
[Please click on David's blue user name and send him a private message.]

Last edited by a moderator: