• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! SIL wants us to cosign a house loan with his bad credit

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
SIL and his girlfriend and her two kids live in Florida and have been renting a house that is now for sale. We have given him money before ($40,000) and he had previously defaulted on a car loan I signed for him as a second signer and had a mobile home repossed. His credit is 530. He has some mortgage broker from LoansByYou who says that if my husband signs and Leo pays on time for a year, they can take DH off the loan and refinance. He also said Leo could "repair" his credit by then. I am extremely uncomfortable, as well as skeptical about this. DH plans to retire soon and me in a few years. Even if we can get SIL to pay us and we pay the loan and to pay for mortgage payoff insurance, I just have a bad feeling about this and would like your input.
Thanks,
Liz

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Take the fact that this is a family member out of the picture and ask your self would you do this for someone else? Probably not. Your uncomfortable with this for good reason. Stick with your gut and say no.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Liz: IMHO you already know what to do. It sounds like you have been burned several times by SIL. You know if he defaults, you are liable as a co-signer.

You would be doing him a favor to let him struggle and learn.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Banks have a word that describes co-signers.......fools.

Unless you want to own this house, don't do it.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please, under no circumstances, co-sign anything for this person. After reading the track record I cannot fathom risking your own credit rating because of this person.

I cosigned a car loan for my niece. She defaulted and I could not take possession of the vehicle unless the credit union repossessed it and I let that happen because if I paid if off without the repo, the vehicle would've gone to her. You see, I was the co-maker on the loan, but did not put myself on the title, etc. as I trusted her. My credit will take a long time to recover.

Please learn from your prior experience and mine.

Just say "no".

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Banks have a word that describes co-signers.......fools.

Unless you want to own this house, don't do it.

Absolutely true, especially relatives who think it's their given right, because you're "blood", to do this.
The hallmark of a dysfunctional person, family, company, etc. is the lack of boundaries (SIL here).. Don't let this irresponsible person trounce yours. Establish them firmly. Just MHO here. I wish I had thought with my head instead of my heart.

Last edited:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... I am extremely uncomfortable, as well as skeptical about this. .... I just have a bad feeling about this ....

You already know the answer. It may be socially uncomfortable to say no but it would be far worse to say yes.

Gramma5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another one for just saying "no".
We cosigned for post school loans for our son and DIL years ago and altho they didn't default on the loans, they were consistantly "late" and it affected OUR credit rating! After getting multiple late notices, (sometimes WE got them before they did!) we had them figure out a way to pay off the loan so we would be uninvolved. It took quite a while to clean up OUR credit rating which is generally in the 800's and it dropped 100 points while all this was going on. this is not a time when you want problems with your credit rating. Just say you can't jeopardize your rating and his past financial problems make you unable to do it.
Believe me, in the long run your relationship will be better. Otherwise you are always nagging them about paying their bill etc..........JMHO.

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Say no and deal WITH YOUR OWN FINANCES!

Co-signing never a good idea but in this case it is a really bad idea.

Most families have some family like this that lose and lose and have no problem asking you to Co -sign another loan. :annoyed:

You should tell this family member the loans and Co-signing is not happening again and that is it.

These family members that we all have seem to have no problem walking away from loans and also no problem hanging other's out to dry.

JUST SAY NO!:crash:

PHIL

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. He is your son-in-law? Is that what SIL means? And a girlfriend? Is he even blood?
The answer is still no.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO, NO and NO

What Phil said, "JUST SAY NO." Look at the history............

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
No

What everyone else said. You know the answer. No.

Best book I ever read to help me deal with this sort of thing is "Boundaries" by Cloud and Townsend.

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the 40,000 or any part of it was a loan advise that you are looking for him to pay that back first and until that is paid back, you can't sign on for more debt. And, since Florida has a lot of great deals, perhaps they can find another one without your signature. In other words, Just say no. Funtime

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thought - if the seller wants to sell badly, maybe he can carry a note back on the house.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You know you don't want to do it. If you did (want to), you wouldn't be asking us. Are you asking because your DH isn't as certain about saying "NO" as you are?

If that is the case, the high points to hit when you talk to him include the fact that the SIL has a proven track record of NOT paying back, and you (as a couple) can't afford to own the house. Cosigning not only makes you responsible for the loan if he defaults, and it sounds quite possible, but it also makes you his landlord in that case. If you're not willing to say "NO" now, would you be willing to evict him when he defaults? Ugly thought, huh?

Also, bring the current economy into the situation. You're a government employee. It is likely that you won't be getting a raise any time soon. I know. I was one in the 1980's and beyond, and I didn't get a raise for five years straight. No raises and a bad economy means your money isn't going to go as far.

It seems to me you are planning for a retirement in the not so distant future. You need to mind *your* finances, not a deadbeat (and that is what he is) relative. I know it is cold to think of your SIL in that way, but you must. You need to think of yourselves first in this case.

Fern

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No way

Have you wever wathed Judge Judy or one of the many other tv courts? Then you KNOW the answer is no way. There are reasons regular sources won't give them money. Don't ignore that and be the one who is out the $$.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Cosigning not only makes you responsible for the loan if he defaults, and it sounds quite possible, but it also makes you his landlord in that case. If you're not willing to say "NO" now, would you be willing to evict him when he defaults? Ugly thought, huh?

Fern

Fern beat me to the punch...this is the point I was going to put forth. My father was put in a similar position as landlord to son and it got real ugly.

Ingrid

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
What everyone else said. You know the answer. No.

Best book I ever read to help me deal with this sort of thing is "Boundaries" by Cloud and Townsend.

I second that ! Great advice, great book.
Boundaries are healthy, boundaries are your friend !

Last edited:

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. He is your son-in-law? Is that what SIL means? And a girlfriend? Is he even blood?
The answer is still no.

I don't get it either...your son-in-law and his girlfriend? Is that correct?

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whoever

Whoever it is, Just say NO!

Nancy

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1603:

LORD POLONIUS:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

emphasis mine! :)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this a late April Fool's Day joke??? I would only be interested in hearing a logic for a vote to co-sign the loan.

Just tell him you would consider being a co-signer ONLY AFTER they pay back the $40K. Until then they need to invest in the LOTTO.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
I wouldn't say "no." I'd say, "Grow up, become responsible and save your money for a house LIKE EVERYONE ELSE." I'd be so flat out insulted that someone with his credit (and leeching) history would try to take advantage of me that I'd probably strangle him. :mad: :mad:
So, yeh, what everyone else said...

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Political comments removed

Last edited by a moderator: