• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help re. buying Wyndham resale vs. new

Sharon&Dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying a Wyndham unit. I like the program. My question is, if I buy a re-sale, rather than from the developer, can I place existing RCI units into the Wyndham program for Wyndham points, or is that privilege only for those who buy in through a developer? Need ASAP reply as meeting with Developer for second time today. Many thanks!

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand question.

Resale points if UDI or converted fixed weeks are governed by 1991 Trust Agreement. For convenience make sure all are deeded the same.

Resorts that use RCI as exchange company can sometimes be be put in PIC
Program. I do not know how this works, some one else will have to jump in!

Sharon&Dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Paco. I know which ones they would accept in the PIC program. They were "approved." My question is, if I bought into Wyndham through resales, would I still be allowed to put other resorts I own into the PIC program? It looks to me like they only let you put resorts in through PIC if you bought retail and got them approved as part of the purchase. And same seems to go for VIP status. Only those bought retail qualify for the magic 300 points per year. Would others agree?

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
The PIC Program is covered on page 299 of Club Wyndham Plus Directory.

As I read, it states eligibility requires a new developer purchase.

I know others here have used and are very happy and counts towards VIP eligibility.

It is subject to annual review.

Hopefully, others who are using will jump in.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. You do need to purchase direct from WYndham to do PIC weeks. It is so many points for the first week and then a smaller amount of points for the second week, as long as they are done at the same time. You are also limited to 2 PIC weeks, so if planning on doing this, go for the largest high season units that you can get on the resale market, 3 bedroom red units. One good thing is that they just need to be red, so they can be pinkred and not red red, if you know what I mean.

Sharon&Dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I had second meeting with developers and gave final answer of "No." For info, I would have had to buy one to be able to PIC two others. With all discounts, etc., it would have cost me about $10,000 for 105,000 points, and they would have given me 105,000 for each of two I already own. That would have qualified me for all the bells and whistles. Very enticing, but we are 73 and just don't need anymore debt at this time. I did like the program and all the flexibility it offered. They offered to do in two steps, with 126,000 points for theirs and each of mine, but would have cost $18,000 more in the long run. So, you can't get into their Plus Partners program or VIP without buying the first one from them. Wish it existed when we started. Thanks.

SlimDave (Ask me how I lost 50 pounds in five months and have kept it off...)

Reaction score
And, as others have said before... VIP and PlusPartners aren't all that big of a deal. Yeah, a few perks here and there, but for 300000 RETAIL points (before the change later this year)? Better just to buy resale for a $10,000+ discount and enjoy what you get!

TS

Sharon&Dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, guys, for error in my last post. If we had done the two-step process where we would have bought every other year for 126,000 points, and bought the second half next year, we would have gotten 126,000 for each our PICs (instead of 105,000). It would have cost $1800 more. ( I said $18,000 !!!) But we would have had 126,000 per year for the new one, plus 126,000 for each of our PICs; so there was some additional value offered for the two-step process at higher cost. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope my postings might help to educate others, as well. Very complicated. A lot to absorb in high pressure environment. I did like the program but finances at the minute were not right to move on it. Just buying another one on the secondary would not have gotten me the benefits of PIC, which I do like. It would have helped us to manage two that we already own.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could eliminate the two you own - Give away if you have to

Purchase the equivilent Wyndham Points on he Seconday Market for essentially transfer fees, with a couple of deeded exceptions and have your 300K + Points

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
A lot to absorb in high pressure environment. .

Dave
We know how that goes.....

It amazes us that at age 70 (and in your case, 73) , they think we want to spend $39K (the offer the last time we went to a presentation) to buy a few more points...obviously they just want to get $$$$ and are not interested in a person's situation. How many years more do we have to travel like this? We are thankful for the years we have! but any minute, things could change....

The great thing about Wyndham is the flexibility, and so resale points (look for free closing costs, too) are a great deal.

Sharon&Dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could eliminate the two you own - Give away if you have to

Purchase the equivilent Wyndham Points on he Seconday Market for essentially transfer fees, with a couple of deeded exceptions and have your 300K + Points

Thanks but problem is I would not have the PIC privilege. I want to be able to use my existing time-shares for hotels... I don't think you get VIP with hotels unless you buy one from the developer.

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks but problem is I would not have the PIC privilege. I want to be able to use my existing time-shares for hotels... I don't think you get VIP with hotels unless you buy one from the developer.

I believe you are referring to the Plus partner benefits, which are included as part of a Developer purchase.

Plus Partner benefits are also available from the Developer with a payment of approx. $2,400.

So, you could buy resale points, buy the Plus Partners feature separately and still be thousands of dollars to the good over PIC'ing and buying the required purchase of points at retail price.

I will tell you that in most discussions of the value of Plus Partners I have seen, the overwhelming opinion has been that it is not worth it. Myself, I have had for 10 years or so now and have never used since lower cost options are available for hotels and cruises which were attractive to me.

Most Hotel stays are also available with use of a Wyndham Rewards credit card, if you are one who runs most charges through one rewards card then that may be worth while for you to look into.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I believe you are referring to the Plus partner benefits, which are included as part of a Developer purchase.

Plus Partner benefits are also available from the Developer with a payment of approx. $2,400.

So, you could buy resale points, buy the Plus Partners feature separately and still be thousands of dollars to the good over PIC'ing and buying the required purchase of points at retail price.

I will tell you that in most discussions of the value of Plus Partners I have seen, the overwhelming opinion has been that it is not worth it. Myself, I have had for 10 years or so now and have never used since lower cost options are available for hotels and cruises which were attractive to me.

Most Hotel stays are also available with use of a Wyndham Rewards credit card, if you are one who runs most charges through one rewards card then that may be worth while for you to look into.

Regarding Plus Partners, I do not disagree, I have had this capability for a little over 3 years. I think I can do better elsewhere.