• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help!, Question on II Certificates and Exchanges

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
As you may know I am fairly new to figuring out how Interval works and still no real idea on trade/exchange. I own points, not a week.
In going into my II certificates, I have three which when I go in to look at Inventory, next to the resorts there is an exchange button.
To the left of my certificates I see this:
2020-02-14.png

Why does it say Orlando Florida and MZC? Is this something to do with exchanging for the certificates? I do not own there and my "home" where I bought the points is Aruba Surf Club.
Where I see the exchange button next to the resorts listed on my certificates, what do you use to exchange? Not my points I am assuming? Sorry I find this all very confusing. This what happens when you get older and your brain slows down :(
I appreciate any and all help!
I will need to know about exchanges in case Aruba Surf club is not available when I want to use my points for end of April next year. It sounds like it is easier to exchange weeks instead of having points since those cannot be exchanged.
TIA for being patient with me!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your best bet may be to call the Interval International desk at Marriott and ask them to walk you through everything.

By the way, Marriott does now own 100% of Interval International.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Ok I will try. Last time I called I was on hold for over a half hour and time before that they said a lot of calls and to call back another time. Its unreal trying to get a hold of them.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are not tied to any location. It doesn't matter where you bought them. Points are part of trust which is registered in Orlando, which is why it says that.
What you are seeing on the left is your "resort" if you want to exchange in II. If you also had weeks, you would see them below that.
If you select exchange you can then see the number of point that are needed to make an exchange based on room size and TDI. Then you can start a search.
Or you can search from exchange and then it will ask you to select your unit will will allow you to select that.
If you are wanted to use points at a MVCI resort then you need to go to the vacation club website and select "book using points." You will then see all the Marriott resorts you can trade into.
There is also a thread here that has the point charts for all the resorts. Here is the doc https://vacationpointexchange.com/pointschart/points_charts_2021.pdf

Most people believe that using points to trade in II is not a very good value.

All that has nothing to do with certificates, which most people refer here as AC.
If you select those you will get the option to select month and then it will show you locations you can search within that month.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if you still have questions

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Thank you rthib. I appreciate you explaining this to me. I knew the points were not tied to any particular resort but did not realize they were registered in Orlando. Now it makes sense. I also did not realize you had to exchange for the resorts listed in your certificates. I am not sure what is so great about having the certificates if you have to exchange for the resorts. What would be the advantage of that since you can exchange your points anyway? Am I missing something? Are the resorts cheaper because it is within a short time frame?
I had heard exchanging Marriott into II was not the greatest. Not sure what I will do if Aruba is filled when I go to book late April. Could keep trying I guess. It stinks when you have a daughter who teaches. :( Someone had mentioned maybe trying for The Westin in St John?
I did see the new point thread made by Steve but I appreciate you posting the link.

Just trying to learn all I can to make the best use of my points. We usually being my daughter, husband and two kids so try to look for a beach resort they would enjoy.
Because they have been to SC and Florida multiple times in general I try to find something different. I wish they had more places in the Caribbean.

PS I was on the line waiting for Marriott for over a half hour when you posted, so thank you!

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AC are separate. They are given by II and you can use them without having any impact on points. They have a cost based on size but usually cheaper than getaway.
Also suggest reading the FAQ here on points and keep asking, only way I learned

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
Thank you rthib. My AC'S only have an exchange button next to the resorts when you search and was why I was confused.