• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help please regarding Westin lagunamar

Creative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello expert tuggers, i bought a one and studio apartment 10 years ago resale ( very cheap) thanks Tug. I have a yearly allocation but they are split into two units ( one 1 bed and one studio). This has worked brilliantly for me in the past because I tend to come every other year with family so have two large and one small units for two week. Over the years I don’t visit Cancun I deposit in II and have never found a problem matching up the weeks for the years I do want to visit . However, since Marriott bought both Westin and II the system doesn’t seem to work for me? Why is this do you think? When we got here ( i am here now). We attended a sales pitch ( not to buy but get info) . They want us to “grandfather’ our weeks if we by another unit $16750 K ! And say points will work out better for us. Now I know this is not true. We only really want to come to Cancun every other year so are not interested in investing more money in units) and I wouldn’t buy from developers ( thanks Tugs). Any advice at all so I can continue every other year vacations at the Lagunamar?
Thanks in advance all of you
Lisa

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The last couple years exchanging through II has been more difficult. This is because more onwers have been going to their home resorts and not depositing their weeks into II. Also, there is a lot more competition as people have started to travel again after the pandemic. People also had banked up deposits to use. So a combination of those things has made exchanging more challenging.

The sales pitch might be to have them requalify your current weeks by purchasing more timeshare, namely Westin Aventuras. I don't really know how many VOIs you own; is it one, two or three? Requalification would require you to spend $10K for one VOI and an additional $5K for each additional one. This usually isn't a good idea, but it is really the only way you could qualify your weeks into VSN and Abound.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have a 2br. You lock it off and deposit both sides to II.
Have you set up an ongoing search ?
What problem are you having ? What weeks are you attempting to reserve?

Creative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Hudshut, i deposited my one bedroom and studio separately from my 2022 allocation which is platinum plus and tried to get 18th march - 1st april march 2023 . i started the exchange 10 months before and got no Lagunamar offers at all ? i have always been able to do this before . started thinking conspiracy theories about Marriot owning it all and disliking resale units !

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You set up two ongoing search requests for WLR , for those dates , for what unit sizes?

Creative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I bedroom unit only. but no matches at all only at other resorts.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is surprising. Especially with the Vistana preference.
I agree that inventory was much tighter this year, since many II members had one to two years worth of weeks/points that they had to use.
If your ongoing search is still active, edit the dates to 2024 and let it keep searching.

Creative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I bedroom unit only. but no matches at all only at other resorts.
That is surprising. Especially with the Vistana preference.
I agree that inventory was much tighter this year, since many II members had one to two years worth of weeks/points that they had to use.
If your ongoing search is still active, edit the dates to 2024 and let it keep searching.
Thanks good advice

chanakya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Requalification would require you to spend $10K for one VOI and an additional $5K for each additional one. This usually isn't a good idea, but it is really the only way you could qualify your weeks into VSN and Abound.

Could you please elaborate on why this may not be a good idea?

I guess the merit of requalifying a 2br WLR is you get into Abound and get 4950 pts for about 1800$ MF (0.36$ per pt).

Not a good idea because these Abounds pts may not provide a significant value over either directly using/renting the WLR week, or exchanging through interval?