• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help Please...Have I been scammed?

irishclover59

Reaction score
I'm just returning from a short vacation in Myrtle Beach and went to a Wyndham timeshare pitch to get two show tickets and a $50 voucher for dinner. Well, they got me! We were worn down after spending almost 5 hours there. Every time we said no, they kept bringing out another salesman (four in total). It was exhausting. They started wanting $100K for 400K points or $50K for 200K points. I was thinking about it and I guess they saw the glimpse of weakness.
Long story short, all of a sudden another sales guy comes over with "party weekend" units that he shouldn't be showing me because they are being held for Wyndham owners. Now the 200K point package was reduced to $29K and another option of 154K points for $23K with approx. $50/month in maintenance fees. That came out to $481 and $374/month respectively. It seemed like a good deal and I was going to purchase the 154K points but I stepped out and called a friend. He wasn't able to offer any good advice so I went back to my husband and the sales person and said I changed my mind. No problem said the sales person, we are done here. She said we would have to fill out an exit survey. Well, instead of an exit survey along came another sales manager with an "incredible deal" of 84K points for only $14,500. With monthly maintenance, this will only be $250/month.

Guess what....I signed up for this deal and later found this website.

What should I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Rescind immediately! Look at your paperwork and follow the instructions exactly. You have very limited time to do so! Do it through certified mail! Do NOT- I repeat- DO NOT go back to the sales office!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
RESCIND - (see the link in post #3 above for an article with more info.)

You can buy the same thing on the resale market for pennies on the dollar.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We understand the instructions are at the end of the contract- near the signature page. If there isn't a sample letter, just a simple 'I/We wish to cancel contract #___________ Dated 9/23/2017.
Signed__________Husband, ______________wife
Include a COPY of the signature page.

I agree, do it by certified mail, and stay off the phone (unplug it) Put their junk in a cheap mailer back to them.

Welcome to TUG

Jim

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Not exactly a scam, but a razzle-dazzle high-pressure hustle with no chance to research the open market for what they're selling.

Nothing that the timeshare companies sell at full freight is worth the money. Get the same thing, or the equivalent, or something even better, for pennies on the full-freight dollar via the secondary market -- i.e., resales (eBay, TUG, etc.).

Get out of it while you can. Find the rescission instructions & follow them exactly before the cooling off period runs out.

Good luck -- & thanks for making contact with TUG-BBS.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The price you paid (agreed to pay) is highway-robbery.
See what these TS's sell for on Redweek, eBay (closed auctions) & in the "Marketplace" here.

You have not been scammed, just hornswoggled into a bad decision.
RESCIND eggsactly as stated, even if you think you there's a better way.
In you letter, identify the contract+property precisely & use both signatures.
Do not answer their calls, so they can't claim you changed your mind.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What day did you sign the contract? I believe the rescind period in South Carolina is 5 days. If the 5th day is Sunday than you have one extra day. You need to have rescind postmarked within the rescission period.

irishclover59

Reaction score
What day did you sign the contract? I believe the rescind period in South Carolina is 5 days. If the 5th day is Sunday than you have one extra day. You need to have rescind postmarked within the rescission period.
Contract was signed on 9/22 (Fri). I plan to send the rescission letter tomorrow 9/25 (Mon). The contract does say the rescind period is 5 days. Thank you!

irishclover59

Reaction score
See what these TS's sell for on Redweek, eBay (closed auctions) & in the "Marketplace" here.

You are correct, I did agree to pay this amount. I didn't know what I was getting into. This site has been a lifesaver.

irishclover59

Reaction score

Thank you! How can you buy for pennies on the dollar in the resale market but the developer was charging $251/point. If I purchased points I don't think I even got a timeshare property to trade only points. I'll have to do some more research on this site and figure it all out. Owning a timeshare is of interest to me but I'd prefer to make an informed decision ;-)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of 'details' in buying and owning the "perfect" timeshare product ... even with Wyndham points, there are 'several products' and "VERY IMPORTANT" details as to where, what and type of ownership. And then, there are the different points systems ... Marriott, Starwood, Wyndham, Hyatt, Hilton, and several small chains ... many have their own points systems, use different exchange companies (another fee to book via the exchange company plus the annual member fees). II, RCI, Trading Places are independent exchange companies besides 'hotel' chains.

Most of these timeshare companies have different locations for their resorts ... look at the maps of the RESORTs (and learn that a affiliated resort most likely is NOT managed by the 'big name' and has very limited units available to book).

Lots to LEARN and READ ... but if you understand WHAT and WHERE you are buying .. .and ALL the COSTs .. you will be an informed owner who USES what he/she is paying for. And most questions are NOT dumb ... these timeshare products are 'tricky' until you learn the terms and nuisances of the systems you might be interested in. And the type of travelling ... FRI/SAT/some Sunday checkin days for full weeks verse under 7 days, points vs weeks, where and standard of resort chains YOU must stay in (verse the costs to buy & pay annual MFs).

Keep reading ....

I own RCI Points & fixed deeded weeks at a VRI Resort plus fixed deeded Wyndham weeks plus Wyndham points. I can exchange thru RCI or II or VRIety. Plus I own Disney Vacation Club points.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
You are correct, I did agree to pay this amount. I didn't know what I was getting into. This site has been a lifesaver.

congrats, you just saved yourself $14,500 bucks!

i hope you have some AMAZING vacations over the next few years with that extra money!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll have to do some more research on this site and figure it all out. Owning a timeshare is of interest to me but I'd prefer to make an informed decision ;-)

Exactly! Take your time to do research. All the ins and outs. Weeks vs. points. Floating vs. fixed. Owning vs. renting. And again I emphasize, take your time. There will be many deals to be found six, eight, ten months down the road.

But in the meantime, do what everyone else told you and rescind. Follow the directions exactly and watch out for phone calls from the sales people trying to get you to change your mind. Also keep in mind that they will legally have up to 45 days to refund you. So if you do not see your refund right away, don't panic and call the resort.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent off my rescission paperwork this morning. I hope I get a 100% refund of the deposit that I paid on my personal credit card and cancellation of my 84,000 overpriced points.

Please tell us that "sent off" means you mailed your rescission letter, signed by all who signed the original contract, by certified USPS mail, producing a date stamped, USPS counter-issued receipt. Anything less (i.e., email message, fax, Federal Express, smoke signals, UPS or carrier pigeon) is simply inadequate.

No need for "hope" if you have properly completed a timely submitted rescission. Remember --- it's the law (not developer benevolence or kindness) that gives you the indisputable right to rescind the contract (within individual state law time limits) and receive 100% refund. In a worst case scenario, the refund part could potentially (...and yes, lawfully) take up to 45 days, but it will happen (and probably sooner than 45 days). The developers and sales weasels may be skilled liars and deceitful, hungry parasites, but rest assured that they are still smart enough to not violate applicable state rescission statutes.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent off my rescission paperwork this morning. I hope I get a 100% refund of the deposit that I paid on my personal credit card and cancellation of my 84,000 overpriced points.

Thank you all for helping me save $14,500.
Good job! You WILL get your deposit back, but it might take as much as 45 days depending on the billing cycle of your card. Beware of any phone calls that might come from the Wyndham sales department trying to save the sale. They will offer lower price, more bonus points, etc. etc. and finally try to give you another vacation on one of their properties so they have another shot at you. Best to just not answer the phone.

Now relax.

Jim

irishclover59

Reaction score
Please tell us that "sent off" means you mailed your rescission letter, signed by all who signed the original contract, by certified USPS mail, producing a date stamped, USPS counter-issued receipt. Anything less (i.e., email message, fax, Federal Express, smoke signals, UPS or carrier pigeon) is simply inadequate.

No need for "hope" if you have properly completed a timely submitted rescission. Remember --- it's the law (not developer benevolence or kindness) that gives you the indisputable right to rescind the contract (within individual state law time limits) and receive 100% refund. In a worst case scenario, the refund part could potentially (...and yes, lawfully) take up to 45 days, but it will happen (and probably sooner than 45 days). The developers and sales weasels may be skilled and deceitful liars and hungry parasites, but rest assured that they are still smart enough to not violate applicable state rescission statutes.

I should have been more specific. Yes, I properly completed rescission letter, which was signed only by me (as my name alone was on the contract), sent via certified mail (as directed) with return receipt. Yes, I have a date stamped USPS counter-issues receipt. I also included a copy of the contract (signed page) and the deposit amounts. Thank you so much for your help!
Amanda

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wyndham tried that with us. My husband just said, what part of NO don't you understand! We went storming out and told everyone in the waiting room to beware! We knew the drill. Just wanted our freebies.