• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help Please! [Cancel DC points purchase?]

doctormom

Reaction score
I just recently attended a presentation and bought 3500 trust points. Now I am re-thinking things (and preparing my letter to cancel) and would like some advice from the experts :D

I have owned DVC for many years and love its flexibility. I thought the new Marriott would be a good fit- but after reading the info here, I've come to be concerned.

Here's my situation-

1. We would probably use most of our points at one of the SC beach resorts in the summer (And maybe every other year in the Caribbean or possibly Spain.). BUT, I don't know what weeks I will have off until about 8-9 months in advance. Will I be able to get something at Oceanwatch, Grand Ocean, or SurfWatch?

2. With Disney I have been able to guess my week, reserve it and then change my reservation to fit my schedule. Will I be able to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just recently attended a presentation and bought 3500 trust points. Now I am re-thinking things (and preparing my letter to cancel) and would like some advice from the experts :D

I have owned DVC for many years and love its flexibility. I thought the new Marriott would be a good fit- but after reading the info here, I've come to be concerned.

Here's my situation-

1. We would probably use most of our points at one of the SC beach resorts in the summer (And maybe every other year in the Caribbean or possibly Spain.). BUT, I don't know what weeks I will have off until about 8-9 months in advance. Will I be able to get something at Oceanwatch, Grand Ocean, or SurfWatch?

2. With Disney I have been able to guess my week, reserve it and then change my reservation to fit my schedule. Will I be able to do this?

Thanks in advance!!

IF IN DOUBT THEN GET OUT. You can always go back to the well to repurchase at any time.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a DC member and so hardly count as an expert, but I would rescind ASAP. You can always buy again later if, after doing lots of research, you decide it is right for you.

Don't forget that you can usually rent what you want at about the same or lower cost and much less risk.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
My reply is based on the assumption that you want to buy directly from MVW and that you want use DC points to trade at some point. It's also based on the premise that you want to vacation in SC, Europe or the Caribbean in Summer.

I would not buy into the DC program directly. I would look for a Carribean Gold week at Aruba, St Kitts or St Thomas. You should be able to pick one up for less than 3500 trust points is going to cost you. The MF's will be about the same or maybe a little less. I'm not sure of the MF's for Gold weeks in the Caribbean. After you buy a "week" you can enroll it in the DC program if you chose. The DC program does not allow you to use DC points, either legacy or Trust, to reserve in Europe. I think you can do it but you trade for the size unit you want based on what II says the points are worth. I really haven't explored that avenue since it's easier just to trade week for week with II.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go with your first impulse and rescind. Then come back here and learn what will work best for you and BUY RESALE! Get that cancellation letter in the mail pronto.

Jim Ricks

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
After you buy a "week" you can enroll it in the DC program if you chose. The DC program does not allow you to use DC points, either legacy or Trust, to reserve in Europe. I think you can do it but you trade for the size unit you want based on what II says the points are worth. I really haven't explored that avenue since it's easier just to trade week for week with II.

Becarefull. You cannot enroll a resale week unless you purchased it before 6/20/10. You would have to buy a week from Marriott now to be able to enroll it in the DC. I assume Marriott still sells weeks in the Caribbean.

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Becarefull. You cannot enroll a resale week unless you purchased it before 6/20/10. You would have to buy a week from Marriott now to be able to enroll it in the DC. I assume Marriott still sells weeks in the Caribbean.

I don't thnk the carribean properties are currently eligible for the DC so that will not work. I assume at some point they will be and that is probably a lower cost alternative if you can wait for that to happen.

Davidr

TUG Member
Reaction score
!
Cancel !!
IMHO if you are interested in traveling to SC most years, you should look for a SC Plat beach week on ebay. They come up infrequently but they do come up. You should be able to get one for a third (maybe a little more) the cost of 3500 DC points. Use the $20,000 you saved for extra vacations anywhere you want to go that you can't trade to. I would guess that you should be able to trade to either the Caribbean or Spain without too much trouble.

tlwmkw

Reaction score
doctormom,

From my reading of your post I think you would be better off buying a re-sale week at one of the SC properties. If you get a Platinum week you can then use it, rent it for more than maint fees, or trade (and it will trade very well). The maint fees will be less than 3500 new points and you will still be able to trade via II. If point systems really appeal to you then I still would rescind and wait to see if the points become available re-sale in the future. I think the system is really too new to spend much on it yet and would watch TUG and see how things go rather than jumping in now.

jmho, tlwmkw

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I agree with the others. Rescind while (if*) you can and take some time to read through this board to figure out which Marriott purchase will work best for you - an external resale week that can't be enrolled in the DC but should give you the stay and exchange benefits you want, a direct-purchase Caribbean or European week that may be able to be enrolled in the DC in the future and should also give you the stays/exchanges you want, or direct-purchase DC Points that you're sure will work for you. The only option I'd stay completely away from at this point, even if you're able to find it, is an external resale of DC Points. There is just too much uncertainty about their cost and use this early in the program.

*Make sure that you look over the purchase papers you signed for the time limit you can rescind, the correct wording of your rescission letter and the address to which you have to send it. Most enrollments (of existing Weeks) only have a 3-business-day rescission period. I know your purchase is different from an enrollment but I don't know if you have a longer period to rescind.

Good luck. :)

doctormom

Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone!

We decided to rescind- the certified return receipt letter went in the mail yesterday (day 3 since signing- contract gives us 10 days.)

I plan to spend some more time on here and try to figure which and if a program/resort is right for us. Renting may be just the way to go!

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Good for you. No doubt you'll hear back from your sales rep with some plea to stay...but don't change your mind until you've had enough time to know exactly what is best for you by studying TUG and asking questions. First timers are the prey for Marriott DC salespeople as they are usually impressed with the resort they are at and get a call to find out how they can 'own' it. They are not too fond of TUGgers.

I think resales is the way for you to go as eBay prices these days at the resort you'd call your home resort choice will sell cheap enough that you might be able to get that amount or more if you decide at some future date to sell. Probably best to buy a resale week you'd like to go 3 out of 4 years...and preferably one that you don't have the added expense of having to fly and rent a car.

Those who bought weeks direct from Marriott and those who are buying DC points from Marriott are going to lose for sure when they want to 'sell'. And someday....everyone will sell.