• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Please advise

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
We have a few more days still to cancel this agreement...We sat through a Wyndham presentation ( San Diego), sounded good, but we were unsure. We purchased the Discovery VIP membership and LesisurePlan Membership. Here's how it works for $2,449.00 you get to freeze the price and points offered for 18 months. You get 308,000 to try in the VIP level and see if you like it. If you decide to buy membership, the monies $2449.00 will roll over into the owner membership. The owner membership is 13.500 for 168,000 points plus 216,00 bonus points for first year. So we get the 308,00o trial points, then 384,000 points our first year.
I have read many articles on the web about Wyndham. Most of it was not good. Owners can never get reservation at their ownership nor any other. Too many members not enough properties. I read on blogs you have a 1% chance of getting a reservation. Lawsuits, etc. I've read better to buy on Ebay, because of value. But I have also read these points are useless too, you just pay less for them, and are out less money for the vacation you bought but can never use.

Does anyone have any advise? Do anyone have comments about Wyndham? I would so appreciate it!

urple2

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Wyndham and like other development names, you have to learn about the system to use it to your advantage.

With resale at less than 2 cents a point, I think the best deal for you would be to cancel.

Spend some time on here, ask the questions and know where you think you may be traveling and at what time of year.

Good luck with your timeshare adventures.

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have a few more days still to cancel this agreement...We sat through a Wyndham presentation ( San Diego), sounded good, but we were unsure. We purchased the Discovery VIP membership and LesisurePlan Membership. Here's how it works for $2,449.00 you get to freeze the price and points offered for 18 months. You get 308,000 to try in the VIP level and see if you like it. If you decide to buy membership, the monies $2449.00 will roll over into the owner membership. The owner membership is 13.500 for 168,000 points plus 216,00 bonus points for first year. So we get the 308,00o trial points, then 384,000 points our first year.
I have read many articles on the web about Wyndham. Most of it was not good. Owners can never get reservation at their ownership nor any other. Too many members not enough properties. I read on blogs you have a 1% chance of getting a reservation. Lawsuits, etc. I've read better to buy on Ebay, because of value. But I have also read these points are useless too, you just pay less for them, and are out less money for the vacation you bought but can never use.

Does anyone have any advise? Do anyone have comments about Wyndham? I would so appreciate it!

Wyndham - great system. Retail purchase? Bad value. Rescind - NOW! IF you don't they points (the only thing of true value in the package) that you would be paying $.15 each for should you buy retail will be worth - at best - $.02 after your chance to rescind ends. RESCIND NOW!

Points are points in Wyndaham. For your $2449 you can buy at least 124,000 annual FSP Points. Probably far more. We have NEVER had any problems reserving the unit/resort/week we've wanted with Wyndham at 7-10 months from use. Never. In over 15 years. Plus if you wait until 2-4 month out you can get some great surprise deals (but obviously not good if you need to plan ahead).

The Wyndham system is highly recommended and at resale cost is a great value. At retail it is a ripoff, pure and simple. Don't do it & don't "lockup" the right to buy at far too high a cost. Rescind the deal.

bookworm

TUG Member
Reaction score

That shows how much junk is posted on the internet. 1% chance of getting a reservation? Wow, is that off. You came to the right website now though. The people here are very knowledgeable. I found out everything I needed to know about my first Wyndham purchase here a few years ago. If you go through the Wyndham forum you will learn a lot. I would also recommend joining the Wyndham owners site at forums.atozed.com. There is a Wyndham primer there which is an excellent introduction.

First off, I recommend rescinding while you can and then stick around here and start reading posts. Resales are currently selling at around $.01 per point so 308000 points might cost about $3080. There is variation depending upon location. Most weeks at most resorts are available at 10 months out when all dates are up for grabs to any points owner. If you want a particular resort in its highest demand weeks, it might be worthwhile to buy there since this gives you advanced reservation priority a few months before everyone else. I have found that lots of great dates are available 6 months and even just a few weeks in advance. I wonder if some people post negative things on the internet who do not take the time to learn the system. You are not going to get to use your points if you want to make a summer reservation at Myrtle Beach 3 months out. If you want high season, highest demand locations, you need to book earlier. I know that at 10 months out, I could have booked almost any summer week at Myrtle Beach this year. But that wasn't the case later. Also, it is difficult to get into most of the affiliate properties which provide little inventory. If this doesn't work for people, timeshare might not be a good buy.

If you are unsure about committing to ownership right now, you can rent points from another owner who would make a reservation for you. There are plenty of people who do that, some as a small business. Last minute deals can be particularly good this way.

Resale points are a great value. With the exception of a few perks available to retail only purchases, resale points do exactly the same thing as retail. And you can buy these deeded at any points resort in the Wyndham system. We are very happy with our resale points and we rent out any points we don't need to other owners. It has been an excellent system for us. We have not let a point go unused yet.

If you decide to cancel, make sure you follow the instructions provided for you to the letter.

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope I can get a "good" answer to the following. The "OP" bought the "discovery" package, which is NOT buying a timeshare, but buying the right to use accomodations at one or more of the Whyndam properties.

They bought a pre-paid vacation plan, and, as such, "IS" there a recession period ?

Sure, if they like the program, they have "locked-in" a certain price to purchase the timeshare points, plus some "other" perks, but right now, they have not purchased a timeshare, so there is no "canceling/backing out" period. ("IF" I am correct in my thinking. "Someone, please set me straight" !!!)

Tony

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I hope I can get a "good" answer to the following. The "OP" bought the "discovery" package, which is NOT buying a timeshare, but buying the right to use accomodations at one or more of the Whyndam properties.

They bought a pre-paid vacation plan, and, as such, "IS" there a recession period ?

Sure, if they like the program, they have "locked-in" a certain price to purchase the timeshare points, plus some "other" perks, but right now, they have not purchased a timeshare, so there is no "canceling/backing out" period. ("IF" I am correct in my thinking. "Someone, please set me straight" !!!)

Tony

As I recall even the "Discovery Package" can be rescinded but, believe it or not, I COULD be wrong!

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Thanks to everyone! I faxed and also sent our cancellation notice today via Priority Mail with signature required!

As far as the comments on the "Discovery Package" not being able to cancel. On the signed agreement I have in front of me for the Discovery Vacations Membership Agreement, it states We have the right to cancel this agreement at any time proir to midnight of the seventh calandar day after the date of this agreement and recieve a full refund. I hope this helps! Thanks again! :)

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As far as the comments on the "Discovery Package" not being able to cancel. On the signed agreement I have in front of me for the Discovery Vacations Membership Agreement, it states We have the right to cancel this agreement at any time proir to midnight of the seventh calandar day after the date of this agreement and recieve a full refund. I hope this helps! Thanks again! :)

Thank heavens. That was close!

jkkee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My feeling is the Discovery Plan, while a little pricey, is a good way to enter into the timesharing world without committing to annual maintenance fees. It's a trial membership and allows the buyer to see if the Wyndham program works for them. Although the lock in on prices is a joke since you can buy resale at a huge discount. This allows you to trial the system to make sure it works for you. I bought a Discovery package, and don't regret it. I also don't regret either of my 2 Wyndham developer purchases. I feel a little silly when I realize how much I could have saved, but we enjoy our vacations, and learn a little every day here to make the most out of what we've purchased. In the future if we feel we need more points or vacation time we now know about the resale market and will take advantage of it.

intheblue

Reaction score
duplicate post deleted

Last edited by a moderator: