• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help -- newbie questions (several)

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
Hi All,
First of all, thank you for the informative posts, this forum is very informative. I've come to understand that ownership is very complex, so appreciate the folks who post regularly and answer questions. I'm in the process of buying my first timeshare at HGVC SeaWorld in Orlando. Going through the ROFR process currently.

I have several questions:
1) Are you all able to find and book, vacations to popular destinations 3 to 6 months out? Or do you have to book 9 to 12 months out? We are thinking of going to GW Hawaii in December, but I have no idea if we will actually be able to book a week in Hawaii since I can't really see what's available (and won't be able to until the transaction closes and I have an active HGVC account). Note: I understand the booking rules, looking for your experiences.

2) If I get a bHC property at the Residences by Hilton Club, will I be able to combine my points, 7,000 Club + 5250 bHC to book at HGVC or bHC properties? In other words, is there unlimited flexibility (other than the limited booking window for bHC)?

3) If I get the bHC property, will the all-you-can-eat club fees cover HGVC reservations or only bHC reservations? And if I use my "HGVC" points to make reservations at HGVC during Club season, would those also be free?

4) For those that saved 2019 points into 2020, did your 2019 points also roll over 2021? The seller unfortunately lost their 2019 points that were saved in 2020, and I encouraged him to try and restore his points so he can use them in the future, even after selling to me. Is this possible? Just learned from the seller that their 2019 points indeed carried forward, so problem solved.

5) Do I need to buy title insurance? I'm not currently getting title insurance, there are additional costs involved, not sure if I need to?

Thank you

Last edited:

rjp123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please read the ownership guide/manual. There's so much information there that's important to have reviewed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Are you all able to find and book, vacations to popular destinations 3 to 6 months out? Or do you have to book 9 to 12 months out? We are thinking of going to GW Hawaii in December, but I have no idea if we will actually be able to book a week in Hawaii since I can't really see what's available (and won't be able to until the transaction closes and I have an active HGVC account). Note: I understand the booking rules, looking for your experiences.

Thank you

I can only answer the first question and the answer is, it depends. Also the answer is for a non-covid restrict travel prospective. Some places are very hard to get, even at 9mths out. For example, the Lagoon Tower in HHV is almost impossible to get 3 to 6 mths to check in. It is situated in a great location in the Village and the points are cheaper than the other TS in the Village. People use the "walking" trick to get a 7 day stay at the Lagoon Tower. Grand Waikikian is easier to get but you will be paying a whole lot of points compared to the Lagoon Tower. For example a Lagoon 2bdr Premier, Ocean Front, is 9600pts and the GW 2bdrm Premier Ocean View is 14400pts. Ocean Front - unobstructed view of the beach and ocean; Ocean View - You can see the Ocean + other things like a marina, bldgs, trees, etc. With that said, the smaller, cheaper rooms in GW will go faster than the bigger more expensive room.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
For your #2 questions, you can combine both and book any properties in HGVC inventory for club booking only. If you want to book bHC properties, the residence properties (new york, DC) you have a 15 days earlier advantage over other HGVC members that are not bHC owners but you can only use the bHC points (5,250).
For #3 You can book any properties unlimited HGVC or bHC any season
For # 5 I have not purchased any title insurance for any of my TS
Hope this helps...

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
I can only answer the first question and the answer is, it depends. Also the answer is for a non-covid restrict travel prospective. Some places are very hard to get, even at 9mths out. For example, the Lagoon Tower in HHV is almost impossible to get 3 to 6 mths to check in. It is situated in a great location in the Village and the points are cheaper than the other TS in the Village. People use the "walking" trick to get a 7 day stay at the Lagoon Tower. Grand Waikikian is easier to get but you will be paying a whole lot of points compared to the Lagoon Tower. For example a Lagoon 2bdr Premier, Ocean Front, is 9600pts and the GW 2bdrm Premier Ocean View is 14400pts. Ocean Front - unobstructed view of the beach and ocean; Ocean View - You can see the Ocean + other things like a marina, bldgs, trees, etc. With that said, the smaller, cheaper rooms in GW will go faster than the bigger more expensive room.

Thanks, I looked up the "walking" trick. Very helpful.

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
For your #2 questions, you can combine both and book any properties in HGVC inventory for club booking only. If you want to book bHC properties, the residence properties (new york, DC) you have a 15 days earlier advantage over other HGVC members that are not bHC owners but you can only use the bHC points (5,250).
For #3 You can book any properties unlimited HGVC or bHC any season
For # 5 I have not purchased any title insurance for any of my TS
Hope this helps...
Thank-you, that answers all my questions!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thank-you, that answers all my questions!

#5 I purchased title insurance when I bought 3 years ago. To me, it wad $500 well spent for piece of mind. Was it necessary? Probably not, but it put my mind at ease over our $4500 purchase. It doesn’t hurt to have the added protection.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
vacations to popular destinations 3 to 6 months out?
I will add, if this is your plan then I think that you will be disappointed. Popular destinations since they are popular will be booked. You will only see the left-overs or maybe nothing at all such at Ocean Oak on Hilton Head Island. You might be able to pick up something if someone cancels.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
2) If I get a bHC property at the Residences by Hilton Club, will I be able to combine my points, 7,000 Club + 5250 bHC to book at HGVC or bHC properties? In other words, is there unlimited flexibility (other than the limited booking window for bHC)?

As mentioned, yes you can use bHC points flexibly with HGVC for HGVC properties (but not vice versa). I'll argue, however, that that is a bad idea. The bHC properties cost more at buy-in and in MFs (typically, although maybe not in every case). Using them for HGVC reservations is a self-devaluation of those points. Certainly better than stranding them if they're going to expire (although paying to bank them is a better idea for those than can be banked). If buying bHC, the intention should be to use for bHC or it's not worth it, IMO.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will add, if this is your plan then I think that you will be disappointed. Popular destinations since they are popular will be booked. You will only see the left-overs or maybe nothing at all such at Ocean Oak on Hilton Head Island. You might be able to pick up something if someone cancels.

If OP consider Hawaii Island popular, then yes.. Oahu (from what I've read) not so much.

Cheers.

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
Thanks for the candid feedback! I'm going to pause on buying additional timeshares until I can get some first hand experience. My planned, typical use case will be to book non-home resorts, 9 months out, but likely during vacation times when kids are home from school.

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
As mentioned, yes you can use bHC points flexibly with HGVC for HGVC properties (but not vice versa). I'll argue, however, that that is a bad idea. The bHC properties cost more at buy-in and in MFs (typically, although maybe not in every case). Using them for HGVC reservations is a self-devaluation of those points. Certainly better than stranding them if they're going to expire (although paying to bank them is a better idea for those than can be banked). If buying bHC, the intention should be to use for bHC or it's not worth it, IMO.

Cheers.
Makes sense. As I mentioned earlier, I'll pause on a bHC for now, until I get my legs under me with HGVC. Really, the motivation for bHC was to avoid fees and possibly access the owner's lounge for the once in 3 year visit to NYC (don't think I'll be going more often than that). However, given the higher upfront cost and higher MF cost, this might be a weak proposition to begin with.

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club
Had another issue pop up in the last minute. HGVC notified the seller that saved points from 2020 are going to be lost when we close the transaction. I thought that I would be able to use previously saved points (and several resale ads advertise banked points)? Are there some nuances where saved points are transferred to the seller and other situations where they are lost?

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Makes sense. As I mentioned earlier, I'll pause on a bHC for now, until I get my legs under me with HGVC. Really, the motivation for bHC was to avoid fees and possibly access the owner's lounge for the once in 3 year visit to NYC (don't think I'll be going more often than that). However, given the higher upfront cost and higher MF cost, this might be a weak proposition to begin with.

I have briefly considered bHC for the same reasons and figured out that if you are buying a low MF resale the difference in MF's vs bHC covers a lot of reservation fees.\

I can't help you on that last question you posted. I'm in the process of closing two deeds but no 2020 points were included.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have briefly considered bHC for the same reasons and figured out that if you are buying a low MF resale the difference in MF's vs bHC covers a lot of reservation fees.\

I agree. bHC is not worth it for the all-inclusive. We own at W. 57th, but we go to NYC twice a year. The all-inclusive is a nice added benefit. But we bought this for the NYC access. And the lounge is nice as well.

Cheers.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I ended up buying a bHC just for the AI booking fee.

Purchased the District for $1 with MF about $1450 for 2021. Unit gives me 5100 bHC points annually. Also the annual AI club dues this year is an extra $127. Since I make at least 10 reservations a year, it was worth it to me.

My club dues this year was $186 with a credit of $100 from my Kohala Suites HOA.

With the change of rules to 60 days or less and forfeiture of booking fees. Getting the all inclusive fee is going to be very helpful in 2021.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sng85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld
HGVC Sunrise Lodge
Four Seasons Aviara
Teton Club

I was looking at Lagoon Tower and noticed that there are 139 units for rent on Redweek. This compares to only 8 units at GW! Further, # of available Lagoon rentals are 3.5x the next highest HGVC resort.
Not sure if Lagoon is unavailable during club season because owners rent out their home weeks or the high rentals currently are because of COVID or something else.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Had another issue pop up in the last minute. HGVC notified the seller that saved points from 2020 are going to be lost when we close the transaction. I thought that I would be able to use previously saved points...

IDK, but the seller could use 'em by booking a stay + buying a guest certificate for you.
HGVC's own doc on resales says seller's reservations are valid after a transfer, but can't be changed.
See: https://tinyurl.com/y2dzvpay

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Lagoon Tower and noticed that there are 139 units for rent on Redweek. This compares to only 8 units at GW! Further, # of available Lagoon rentals are 3.5x the next highest HGVC resort.
Not sure if Lagoon is unavailable during club season because owners rent out their home weeks or the high rentals currently are because of COVID or something else.

In other post I have read, it would appear that Lagoon tower owners tend to rent out their TS because of the money they can make. For example using Redweek as reference: Lagoon 2bdrm Premium Ocean Front rent for $3000 a week, with a MF to the owner of $2000. GW 2bdrm Premium Ocean View rents $3500 a week, with a MF to the owner of $3500. Lagoon owner making money, GW owner breaking even. So my thought is that GW owners in Redweek are trying to recoup their MF because they can't use their points, where as Lagoon owners are most likely renting out for profit. Lagoon owners either own another property or they use cash to rent open rooms (1 - 30 days to check out).

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Thanks for the candid feedback! I'm going to pause on buying additional timeshares until I can get some first hand experience. My planned, typical use case will be to book non-home resorts, 9 months out, but likely during vacation times when kids are home from school.
I’m a Lagoon Tower owner (x3). We’ve generally booked at vacation times, spring break and summer. I can tell you with pretty good confidence you won’t be able to get a room there with club points at those times. It’s my home, so I use home week, and I still make sure I reserve on the day that’s 1-year ahead because it’s very popular. At BEST, you’d have to check the website several times a day and hope/wait for a cancellation, and that’s no fun. I tell people, if their target is Lagoon Tower, or Hawaii generally during vacation times, you need it to be your home location.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have booked Lagoon standard and plus 2br for the past few years for July 4th week in club season. It is possible to book Lagoon during summer, but it wasn't easy. I just make sure to book it at the 276 day mark.

Now the 2br premiere OF and penthouse units are gone before club season starts for July 4th.

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have booked Lagoon standard and plus 2br for the past few years for July 4th week in club season. It is possible to book Lagoon during summer, but it wasn't easy. I just make sure to book it at the 276 day mark.

Now the 2br premiere OF and penthouse units are gone before club season starts for July 4th.

I am with you. My annual staycation is Lagoon 4th of July week. It is a hassle but I would say I am hitting 99% 2bdrm (standard) using the walking method (min of 3nights but normally 6 to 7 nights). Then I ask for the Ilikai side highest available room. This gives a great view from the Lani of the 4th of July fireworks from Magic Island/Ala Moana beach park. (Bonus; all the times I have stayed in the 2bdrm, I was high enough to see the Hilton Luau on the parking structure from the back Lani. The first few times, my family ate diner on the Lani as we watched the Hulu dance.) However, it is near impossible to get the 2bdrm premium (Ocean Front) or the Penthouse, even with the walking method. I got lucky this year (2021) because there was so much uncertainty of being able to vacation due to COVID, I guess owners were not reserving rooms or cancelling their 2021 vacation plans. I was able to snag a 2bdrm premier for 7 nights on the front end of 4th of July Week. Hopefully they start up the Friday Fireworks so I can get the double fireworks show (Friday night then Sunday Night). I was also able to snag a 3bdrm penthouse on an event week in 2020. I can now check those 2 rooms off my bucket list of rooms to stay in.

Last edited: