• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP needed for homeless family & disabled dog

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
American Dog Magazine
Can you believe the Sheraton Garden Grove Hotel in Anaheim, CA will be kicking this lady and her ailing 79 yr old mother and their paralyzed dog out of their hotel in a few days when the donations run dry. Click on the link and read the story. I just called them and spoke with the manager Annelle who spoke to the Gen Mgr Rick Ross and asked them to reduce their rate in half just for a week so this... family wouldn't be kicked out for xmas.....and they said "sorry, the rate is $99 + tax per day and we won't reduce the price at all..." WOW.....where is the compassion at Christmas time?? If anyone has Starwood miles to donate to this family so they can stay a little longer would be awesome! Here is their website/number: http://www.sheratonanaheimsouth.com/

Steve

Reaction score
I hope these women and their dog find a good home...a permanent home where they can stay. They are in a very sad situation.

Steve

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I made a small donation on behalf of the dog rescue.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The latest news:
American Dog Magazine ‎*******UPDATE: JUST CALLED the Sheraton Garden Grove and spoke with the front desk manager Nader who told me that the 2 women and their paralyzed dog are only paid thru 2 more nights (Tues/Wed) and they have to check out on Thurs morning! ...Nader said that if anyone has the Starwood miles/points, that it takes 7000 points = one night stay. So as of Thurs morning the daughter, her ailing 79 yr old disabled mother and her paralyzed dog will be on the streets, homeless, to fend for themselves!

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, presley.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they don't go to a less expensive motel, or contact a church or other organization that runs shelters, and if the shelter doesn't take the dog then call a rescue to foster him until they get their situation figured out. Surely there are social services that will help them.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they don't go to a less expensive motel, or contact a church or other organization that runs shelters, and if the shelter doesn't take the dog then call a rescue to foster him until they get their situation figured out. Surely there are social services that will help them.

I agree. $99 a night is very expensive. It is not sustainable. The money being spent for them could be better spent for them and others.

But I guess at this time of year it is easier to try to stay where they are.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree. $99 a night is very expensive. It is not sustainable. The money being spent for them could be better spent for them and others.

But I guess at this time of year it is easier to try to stay where they are.

I think probably getting from where they are to somewhere else may be the hardest part. Orange county, CA is one of the most expensive places to rent and very difficult to meet the requirements to even rent something.

I am not sure how many hotels/motels allow pets in that area. If they are totally broke and disabled, commuting a few miles might not be possible. Of course, someone could volunteer to transport them. Hopefully, that will happen for them soon.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sadly, this woman is going to have to make a tough decision. Is she going to keep the dog, which is an enormous drain on their resources, or is she going to find a safe home for her mom? IMNSHO, no matter how much she loves the dog, her elderly mom should come first. YMMV

Steve

Reaction score
Sadly, this woman is going to have to make a tough decision. Is she going to keep the dog, which is an enormous drain on their resources, or is she going to find a safe home for her mom? IMNSHO, no matter how much she loves the dog, her elderly mom should come first. YMMV

I don't think she should have to make that choice. To many people, their dogs are true family members. They shouldn't be forced to abandon them regardless of their financial situation.

Hopefully, someone in Southern California will help her find a home where she, her Mom, and her dog can live. Or help her find transportation to another state where she can find a true home. Obviously, she can't live in a Sheraton hotel for the long term. I hope she finds a real home soon. If I lived closer, I would try to see what I could do to help. Suggesting that she give up her dog is not very helpful, IMHO.

Steve

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone has choices to make. I am sure it would be a difficult decision and probably one they would not consider but they are in a very tough situation in a very expensive place of the country. Once the holidays are over and bills start to come in it will be tough for people to continue to help.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

Latest update on Facebook:

American Dog Magazine "I spoke with the Animal Assistance League of Orange County a few times tonight and the family and dog are getting lots of donations and seems that the Sheraton is working with them and reducing their daily rate.....now (since all the calls/emails). I was told that the Sheraton is taking good care of them and that many concerned people have offered donations, so it seems that this family with their paralyzed dog will be able to stay there thru the holidays - that is what I was told."

A little bad publicity seems to have made them change their tune.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Staying thru the holidays is a good thing, but for the $3000 a month they are paying for a motel room, they could do better than that. Even in California. That's a LOT more than I am paying, and I don't live in the cheap seats either.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's nice that Sheraton reduced their rate, and that people stepped up to help out- especially during holiday time. However, this living situation simply is not sustainable. I hope the people are taking this little bit of 'breathing time' to look for a place where they can all be together. Or a solution to humanely reduce their numbers.

I love pets in general, and my dog in particular, but were she disabled and life's situation had DW, the dog and me living in a hotel on the charity of others, best believe there would be some changes made.

I wish these folks well, and hope they can some up with a solution they can all live with.

Jim

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an email about this last night. It wasn't the best of endings.

"We cannot thank you enough for the donation that you made to assist
Jerry, the paralyzed dog and his family. Jerry's story didn't have
the "happy ever after" we were hoping for but we know that his life
was better because of you.

Jerry was able to enjoy his life in comfort, safety and warmth at the
Sheraton Hotel with his family. A veterinarian donated a cart for
Jerry's back legs, which allowed him freedom that he hadn't known for
some time. We truly wish that he could have enjoyed his new freedom
for years to come.

Jerry became suddenly ill on December 24th in the evening when his
owner called our Helpline Counselor Linda to state that he had begun
vomiting, shaking, and had intestinal bleeding. We had his owner to
take him directly to ACCIM, the emergency room in Tustin. Tragically,
Jerry passed away before they arrived. AALOC paid for an ultrasound
to determine what had caused his vomiting and intestinal bleeding that
night. A large mass in his abdomen was found indicating that he had
an unknown cancer which took his life. AALOC paid for his cremation,
as his owner wished.

As of today, Sam reported that her mother's condition has required
placement in a nursing home. Sam's plan now is to live with a friend.

Although we had hoped for a happier ending, their lives were touched
in very special ways because of your kindness.

We deeply appreciate your compassion and generosity.

Colleen McCammon
President
Animal Assistance League of Orange County
www.aaloc.org
Humane Center (714) 893-4393
Pet Helpline (714) 891-PETS "