• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP Need to rescind Bluegreen purchase Aruba

cfd6

Reaction score
If this is not the correct forum, please repost - thanks

We are in the middle of a visit to Bluegreen property in Aruba. After 6 hrs we made purchase=
the very next day we began to notice big differences in what we were told and what the ton of documents say-
Our free 7 day cruise to any destination except alaska or the Med is shown as a 4 day cruise to bahamas etc.. My extra point certificate shows issue date of April, but it will be Sept in a couple of days so it will be void before I can use it
practically nothing we were told appears to be true. I cannot even sign in to the website as I was not given a member card or number..

I only paid 10% down intending to pay off when I return home I want out of this mess, contract states no cancellation if executed in Aruba
My wife and I did not expect such deception, do we have any recourse ?? we are literally sick and miserable !!

stevio99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, after reading a few posts it looks like there really is no rescission period in Aruba. So your gonna have to probably try to fight this legally the best you can (if you can). I would start by getting in touch with a lawyer RIGHT NOW. Also a letter to Bluegreen saying that you want to cancel the contract might be a good idea (again get a lawyers advice), in case American law prevails (unlikely). You might be screwed.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have also read that Aruba offers no rescind period. That said, I wonder--since you are apparently still there at the resort--if you could talk to someone in Member Services (or some such membership support--NOT sales) and tell them you want out.

Also, if you paid the 10% down, any way to contact your credit card or bank to have them cancel the transaction?

Centurion

Reaction score
Aruba may not have a rescission period but Bluegreen is a US company. I would call the US corporate office right away and voice your concerns. If the contract mentions a venue in the US for all disputes it will be governed by US law. Good Luck!

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
And, regardless of whether there is a recission period or not, send a recission letter and tell them that there is a significant disparity between what you were told and the documents that you received. And give details.

Regardless of whether there is a recission period or not, the recission letter will be ammo in your arsenal.

Good luck,

elaine

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aruba may not have a rescission period but Bluegreen is a US company. I would call the US corporate office right away and voice your concerns. If the contract mentions a venue in the US for all disputes it will be governed by US law. Good Luck!

But rescission rights are set by where the contract was perfected (offered and accepted)

cfd6

Reaction score
Need Help

I called my bank, the partial payment is PENDING, they say they cannot cancel a pending charge once it is approved.

What can Bluegreen do if I just ignore them ???
We are literally sick

J

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that whether or not Aruba has allowance for a cooling-off period, you should send rescission letters to sales and customer service offices there as well as to BlueGreen owner services in USA. Do this ASAP and outline the discrepancies between the contract and what you were told, though without proof, it's a 'he said, she said' thing.

You might have wrecked a vacation trying to wriggle out of the noose you put around your own neck, but it will pay off if you succeed.

Good luck, and we're happy you found TUG in time to at least find out the severity of the consequences.

This isn't the time to be sick, it's the time for action. Keep us informed!

Jim

cfd6

Reaction score
update

Does anyone have good nbr to call the dept I need to call at Bluegreen
I am about to panic down here
I am trying to find a nbr for the U S Consulate here, but no luck yet, there is one in Curacao but I do not know how to dial there from here

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.bluegreenonline.com/corporate/contact.aspx

Bluegreen® Corporate Headquarters
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Bluegreen Resorts
(Owner Relations)
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Bluegreen National Direct
(Vacation Club Sales)
Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Bluegreen Communities® (Residential Information and Sales)
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Bluegreen Vacation Rentals
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.

All hours shown are Eastern time zone.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The nationality of the OP or the company is not relevant. Only the law of Aruba counts. No time to rescind or think it over, until recently, but there is buyers protection when it concerns real estate, only 3 days, and the consumers protection of 5 days where the article talks about. I don't know if the law is already applied but this might be a solution to get out of it, maybe with a lawyer, or maybe the TS company might be willing to settle. However there might be costs involved. It is very good that foreign tourists are warned for these practices and realise that sales are final, that it is always hard to get out of a contract and that you are under foreign law. To the OP: good luck!

cfd6

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this ray of hope

I have placed emails to the lawyer as it was after hrs when I received the news..

Does anyone know how the "days" are counted ?? I signed about
7:30-8:00 PM Do the weekends count ?? They are only available part of Saturday and Unavailable on Sunday, so is Monday day 3 or day 2 ????

How likely is it that I may need an interpreter with the lawyer IF he calls ??
I will certainly be calling him if he does not call..

Again thanks to everyone

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd not wait for the lawyer. I would write an addendum to your rescind letter stating to the effect that pursuant to the new Aruban law dated 8/1/2012, you are allowed a 5 day rescission period on timeshare sales. You wish to rescind in accordance with this consumer protection law.

Quote the Lawyer's website if nothing else and copy in plain sight both the sales office and BlueGreen.

Hope you are able to sleep better.

P.S. Since the attorney's website is largely in English and the vast majority of Dutch speaking people are multi lingual, I doubt you'll have a language barrier.

Jim

lbjen

Reaction score
I agree, language will not be an issue, the majority of business done in the Antilles is international, their English is outstanding.

arubanut

Reaction score
Good luck!

I wish the best and hope you get out of it.

Every year they would like for us to go on there POINT system.

If you like Aruba (LaCabana Resort) -Buy a Re-Sale Deeded unit.

We have back to back (fixed) weeks in Aruba at two different properties.

Even when we stayed at The Fountains in Orlando(rented through bluegreenrentals.com) I was talking to a bluegreen sales rep. and explained our setup in Aruba.

Even she agreed "switching to Bluegreen would not work for you" "you may never get that exact week back year after year".

We do LOVE our Fixed (deeded week)!!!!

So long story short -Find a LaCabana OWNER that is selling there (deeded)week.

cfd6

Reaction score
Aruba has been GREAT ! The people are so nice & friendly, the Beaches awesome and food is wonderful.. Went to the National Park today, Unbelievable !! We were so amazed at the terrain and desert like mountainous views. The it all ends at the sea, what a treat. We were actually able to forget this mess and enjoy ourselves..
We arrived late Thursday, were tied up all day Friday with BlueGreen, were miserable Sat & Sun could not enjoy anything or feel like doing anything.. Tonight I sat & looked at my Chicken Tikka Masala at Tandoor, unable to eat it.. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
I have some details to work out tomorrow, one I have no printer to make a copy of the lawyer site, maybe at business center. Next, I am sure when I present the letter, they will refuse to accept it and surely may not sign it
I think I will need a reliable witness or two who knows ?????

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aruba has been GREAT ! The people are so nice & friendly, the Beaches awesome and food is wonderful.. Went to the National Park today, Unbelievable !! We were so amazed at the terrain and desert like mountainous views. The it all ends at the sea, what a treat. We were actually able to forget this mess and enjoy ourselves..
We arrived late Thursday, were tied up all day Friday with BlueGreen, were miserable Sat & Sun could not enjoy anything or feel like doing anything.. Tonight I sat & looked at my Chicken Tikka Masala at Tandoor, unable to eat it.. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
I have some details to work out tomorrow, one I have no printer to make a copy of the lawyer site, maybe at business center. Next, I am sure when I present the letter, they will refuse to accept it and surely may not sign it
I think I will need a reliable witness or two who knows ?????

I am glad you are able to enjoy some time there. You now have me on the edge of my seat.

Good luck. I hope I read some good news from you soon.

lbjen

Reaction score
Don't just hand them the letter, get it sent with proof from the postal service (registered, with confirmation of receipt). That is the only way you can prove you sent it and they got it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Court Bailif is hand delivering the letter

First I've heard of something like this. Either way it goes, you will remember this vacation!

Hoping for your success!

Jim

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Court Bailif is hand delivering the letter

Make sure you have some sort of written proof as a back up. I would even be inclined to send it registered mail as well post marked for today and referencing the name of the bailif and the name of the person the notice was hand delivered.