• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP! My friend took the plunge.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My dear friend married a lady 3 years ago who owned a fixed week at the Royal Mayan in Cancun. I have spoken to my friend about their timeshare before, and honestly, they just go each year and have no idea on how to exchange internally or through II.

Well they just got back from their annual trip and he sent me a disturbing email. He fell for the salesperson's spill and bought another timeshare! The Royal Haciendas in Playa Del Carmen week 24.

Please tell me the quick low down on the Royals before I speak to him.
What perks would he loose if he bought resale?
What is the timeframe to recind on his purchase?

Terry

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeframe for rescission in Mexico is only 5 days (business days, I think, but I'm not sure.)

On the other hand, the Royals are a class act and may not hold the buyer to the deal. I gave advice recently to someone who had bought at the Royal Haciendas about 3 weeks earlier. I advised her to ask them if she could cancel; they let her walk away by just forfeiting her deposit. (They also offered to apply her deposit to a cheaper Royal resort.)

As to whether you lose any perks by buying resale, I don't know. But even if you do, the perks from buying from the developer rarely are enough to justify the added cost over resale.

One argument you could give your friend for rescinding -- does he really want to go to Mexico in mid-summer (week 24)? Wouldn't he rather go during cooler weather?

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow-up.
He bought on Friday. It is one of the absolute nicest units Royals had to offer at Haciendas - OF and ground floor. My friend went to the TUG classifieds and found comparable units to show the sales people. The sales team knocked almost $20K off of the asking price!!

There are NO resales of this quality available, so using his knowledge of the resale market he actually did really well. Their Royal mayan expires in 4 years and they needed summertime to match their child's school schedule.

Terry

toskeysam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perks? Price? Location?

I am not aware of any loss of perks from buying a "Resale" unit. We have units at the Sands and Haciendas. The Sands was a resale(through the Royals), but we still got the little things that are nice....but weren't a determining factor.
Anyone considering a timeshare purchase should get all the information they can before making the jump. Prices are always flexible, and your friend was well prepared. Way-to-go. My dealings with the Royals have always been very clear, up-front, and reasonable. I never felt like I was talking to a used car salesman. We looked at a lot of different units, but went for the OF,GF unit both the Sands and the Haciendas. Glad we did too.
Location determines you experience. If you want a Mexican experience, go to the Haciendas and Playa del Carmen. We love the Sands, but it is an entirely different environment. Bottom-line ( I hate that phrase.) is the Royals are the class-act in the region....don't worry about it.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
My girl friend and I had our "girls" week at Royal Sands last week. She had exchanged thru II for our 2bd/2b unit. I was so impressed with the Royals and their staff. We were "invited" to do the RH tour and we did. Very nice property not as many ocean views as the other Royals. I will say our sales person was not pushy and when we said we only buy resale do not finance out timeshare purchases he said fine and let us enjoy the beach until the bus came at 4pm.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely no difference in how the Royals treat owners who bought through the developer, resale, renters, or exchangers.

All owners have the same contract and no difference in ability to sell, trade, rent, etc.

I am amazed that the salesperson knocked off some of the cost - the Royals prices are typically fixed, though there are some discounts for those who already own one or more Royals week.

These are among the very few timeshares that keep a good value - not generally as much as the original price (depending on what week, when purchased, and so forth), but you don't find them for $1 on eBay!

As JudyS said, the Royals are a class act, and though they are expensive, their people are not likely to give someone with second thoughts the runaround.

We originally bought winter weeks, and why anyone would buy summer weeks. Then we had kids and they got old enough to go to school and our schedules and priorities changed. Summer weeks are just fine, and we do the sea breezes, pools, ocean, and A/C take care of the heat.

jschmidt

Reaction score
There is one anomaly that I found that favors the resale buyer. If you buy resale for a price less than the original buyer paid, you will get residual rights equal to the original selling price. Which means, you should make a profit when the trust ends in 30 or 50 years depending on the resort.

Buena suerte!

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is one anomaly that I found that favors the resale buyer. If you buy resale for a price less than the original buyer paid, you will get residual rights equal to the original selling price. Which means, you should make a profit when the trust ends in 30 or 50 years depending on the resort.

Buena suerte!

True for VCI, RM, and RC. RI, RS, and RH don't consider the original selling price at the end of the trust - proceeds are split evenly. Even so, the person buying at resale for $5K will get the same piece of the pie as the person buying originally for $25K. Another great reason to buy resale! :cheer:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the typical residual value for Royal Mayan - OV & OF?

Terry

It depends on the week (51 and 52 would be much more), the building and floor (GF and penthouse are more), and when it was purchased (prices were less pre-construction, then went up over the next few years). Each unit will be different.

As a wild guess, the lowest was likely around $4-5K (lagoon view bought pre-construction and the highest maybe around $15-20K (Christmas or New Year's beachfront walkout or penthouse)

Last edited: