• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me with Sand Dollar craft project!

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My granddaughter and I brought home a whole box of sand dollars from our summer beach trip to Hilton Head. We'd like to make ornaments and I found some instructions but wonder if anyone has any other good ideas? I'm also not sure where to find supplies such as acrylic finish or glitter paint. Please help!

Here is the internet page I'm using for a reference: http://goflorida.about.co...eaches/ht/sd_ornament.htm

Deb

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb,
Purchase some cocktail napkins with the design of your choice. Lots of holiday designs out now. Peel off the back layer of the napkin so it is one ply. Center the design over the front of the sand dollar and cut it leaving some extra to tuck behind the sand dollar. Brush on elmer's glue. You can dilute the glue with water if it is too thick. Let dry an voila! If you are real ambicious you can apply lacquer after the glue dries. Cute holiday decorations. You can choose your occasion since there are so many different designs.

Make sure the sand dollars are free of the mollusk and also soak in chlorox to bleach. If they aren't totally clean, they will begin to smell like rotten seafood.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kay, you are lifesaver! This sounds easy and fun. We cleaned the sand dollars this summer and used the glue solution as a preservative.

My daughter and granddaughter are on their way over now so its good to have a plan!

Deb

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also not sure where to find supplies such as acrylic finish or glitter paint. Please help!

Do you have a Michael's near you? They have all the craft stuff you could ever, ever, ever want--tons of things I never even knew existed! A.C. Moore is another crafts store; another one is Hobby Lobby. Art supply stores like Pearl Paint also have some of these things. Good luck!

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you have already cleaned them, the skys the limit. Any hobby shop will have stuff. Michaels is always a good start.

We painted ours with coordinating colors to the girls bedrooms and made mobiles, and put some in with other collected item from the trip into a shadow box. Any paint really works. I like paints that have a shimmer or sparkle already. but you could paint then dust with glitter.

You could paint Christmas colors and hang from a special tree. They already have built in holes for wire or colored ribbon or thread. You could glue little eyes and make faces with other beads. Start it as a Santa decoration with the sand dollar as his face. Reindeer face with a red bead or pom pom as the nose.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Family Fun magazine always has really nice family crafts. You might want to look on their website to see what they've got.

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
My Daughter & kids a few years ago for Christmas made windchimes as gifts, (indoor only), from the Sand Dollars they collected. Came out really cute.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My daughter stopped at Walmart on the way over and arrived with a bag full of acrylic paints, glitter, stickers, napkins and other tidbits. Once we got started we just used our imagination. It was alot of fun. Next weekend they will be back to work on the other side since ornaments can't be trusted to only hang in one direction.

I like the wind chimes idea. We'll have to go back to the beach to collect more!

Deb

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deb.
Is it possible to glue 2 sand dollars back to back to make it a pattern on each side? It may be worth a try.