• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me plan trip to San Francisco with pts

llori7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just got my timeshare (from this site)----its points, not week. Today I received my RCI member number and went on to book a trip to SF for next summer, but nothing is available after April 2016---not even summer 2017.

So, my question is are they not booking that far out, or is it so popular they are already booked???

Thanks for any help! I am so excited to be able to use the timeshare, and we were planning on SF next summer, so I'm bummed I can't book.

Lori

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Did you place an on going search?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
An ongoing search is like "wait listing." Ongoing search requests are filled FIRST, before any inventory appears online, so the online inventory is the leftovers, after the ongoing searches are matched.

So the most effective way to get an exchange is with an OGS. How many points do you have for an exchange?

llori7

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't do an ongoing search. I just got my number today (still waiting on my welcome pack). I currently have 98,000 points.

If I do an ongoing search, do I have to pick a specific week, or can it be a time frame? How long does it usually take to know if it will work out or not?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can pick a specific week, or a wide time frame - your choice.

You could get an exchange right away - or never - there is no way to know.

Exchanging is kind of like gambling - you "place your bet," and take your chances.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you are flexible, give them a wide window of time, you are more likely to get an exchange.

llori7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to do ongoing search, but it says my total is $209. Do I pay that now? Or just if they find me something? How do you know if you get it or not? I just put in dates of whole summer. Not sure if i should just pick a week.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to do ongoing search, but it says my total is $209. Do I pay that now? Or just if they find me something? How do you know if you get it or not? I just put in dates of whole summer. Not sure if i should just pick a week.

Welcome to the Exchange racket business.

If you can travel any part of the summer, putting the whole summer greatly increases your odds of a hit.

llori7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Exchange racket business.

If you can travel any part of the summer, putting the whole summer greatly increases your odds of a hit.

Ok---great! So if they don't find me something, do I get my $209 back? Or if they find something, but for some reason between now and when they find it, that is a bad travel time?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok---great! So if they don't find me something, do I get my $209 back? Or if they find something, but for some reason between now and when they find it, that is a bad travel time?

Here is some stuff for you to read:

http://www.tug2.net/advice/tugrcipoints.html

http://www.tug2.net/advice/FAQ-AskRCI.htm

http://www.tug2.net/advice/onlvsong.htm

http://pgs.rci.com/landing/InsideRCI/ongoingsearch/index.html?promo=VANNAENUSWInsideRCIOngoing - particularly pay attention to Step 4 here

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If a match comes up, you will get an email.

To get your $209 back you have to request it, but most people just leave it on account for the next exchange - if you don't get this one, you will want to use the points for something else.

You can cancel if you don't want the exchange, but it's better to only request a time frame when you can go. If your plans change, then you should change your request.

A broad request is much easier to get than one particular week.

e.bram

Reaction score
If you wanted SF you should have bought in SF. It is a hard trade like NYC and oceanfront in the summer.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What kind of points do you have? Is it RCI points. If so booking outside of your home resort group starts at 10 months out. What you see beyond June 15 and what you search for with an Ongoing Search (OGS) is weeks inventory. I am not sure if their are any SF resorts that autodeposit at 10 months into RCI points but it is worth continuing to search manually because the OGS won't usually pick up points inventory.

Also what size unit are you looking for many SF properties are going to be sleeps 2 or sleeps 4. Requesting a 2 br in the summer has very little chance of coming through.

llori7

TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of points do you have? Is it RCI points. If so booking outside of your home resort group starts at 10 months out. What you see beyond June 15 and what you search for with an Ongoing Search (OGS) is weeks inventory. I am not sure if their are any SF resorts that autodeposit at 10 months into RCI points but it is worth continuing to search manually because the OGS won't usually pick up points inventory.

Also what size unit are you looking for many SF properties are going to be sleeps 2 or sleeps 4. Requesting a 2 br in the summer has very little chance of coming through.

We have RCI Points---49,000 a year. However, we are starting with 147,000 because the people we bought from haven't used it. I am looking for 4 people, but just a 1 bedroom.

Can I use the Ongoing Search if I have points (instead of a week)? Maybe I will keep checking manually for a little while and see what happens.

Thanks!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I looked and I don't see any regular points inventory there. It looks like Wyndham is going to be the only one depositing points inventory and they don't auto deposit, they deposit excess inventory. I wouldn't expect any summer inventory from them. It won't help you get to SF in summer 2016 and it won't help with expiring points but you may also want to include summer 2017 to your search. Difficult locations during prime time may require an 18-24 month search to secure if any at all. I don't really track San Francisco inventory but from sightings, I know that during a typical summer there might be a dozen sleeps 2 accommodations and about 3-4 sleeps 4.

So, my question is are they not booking that far out, or is it so popular they are already booked???
It isn't a question of booking. It's a question of depositing. It is so popular and limited inventory that many owners don't deposit. It's one of those locations that have way more demand than supply. I don't know the numbers but I would imagine it may be in the 1 deposit for every 50 people that want it. Now many of the 50 won't bother with an ongoing search but still quite a few will so you are fighting over a handful of deposits so the earlier you start a search the better.

Last edited: