• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP!! Just bought Retail at Timber Lodge...should I rescind or keep it?

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, so as a long time member of TUG I know I'm not supposed to buy retail from the developer, but Wednesday we were at the Marriott Timber Lodge in Lake Tahoe for a presentation and bought anyway. Lake Tahoe is beautiful and I will probably go here every few years or so, but I would prefer to use the time share for trading purposes

This is a 2 BR Lock-out in a Summer Platinum season. The sales pitch was that there can be no new timeshares build around Lake Tahoe, making this generally highly demanded area even more valuable for trading. Also, he made the point exchange system that Marriott only offers for sales from the developer sound very appealing. And they threw in 105,000 incentive points (would normally take 2 years to accumulate with depositing my week). That's 1/2 a trip to Europe and a week in a hotel. By trading in my new condo this year, we could go to Europe on Marriott next year.

So, for those in the know:
1. Is the point system really worth paying $7500 or so more than a resale at the same time share? Is it worth the extra cost plus giving up one week of vacation every year for the points. I read in the Marriott BB that these points keep getting devalued.
2. I like the feel of the Marriotts and Starwoods...I like the feeling of luxury. I have not stayed at any other time shares to compare (Embassy, Hilton, Hyatt, etc). Is the Marriott really worth the extra money compared to other lock-out time shares, assuming the answer to question #1 is "NO, I should buy on resale". For instance, I can buy an Embassy Lock out on Lake Tahoe...on the lake...for $12500, for an all year floating use, rather than across the main street from the lake, for only summer use, at Marriott's Timber Lodge for $24,000 on resale. Is owning at Marriott really that much better?

Thank you for any insight while I still have the right to rescind. If this is a good deal, I'll be happy to keep it and drop the "buyer's remorse"

Jeff in San Diego

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff

Are you sure the difference between what you paid Marriott and the cost of a resale is only $7500? I'm not a big fan of points because I can't see overpaying for a timeshare just so that I can trade my ts usage for points to stay in a hotel. If you only want to use/trade your ts half the time, I think it makes more sense to buy EOY (resale, of course) and use the money you save for other vacations.

Maybe you need to take a step back and figure out what your long-term vacation needs are. If you don't need prime weeks, you don't have to have the strongest trader in the Marriott (or other) system to get what you want.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Note that while Marriott's prices are fixed, resale prices you see are merely asking prices. There is a lot of room for negotiation and if you are patient, you'll find a really motivated seller. Thus, Stefa's question is right on point.

Also see pwrshift's post # 19 in response to your post #17 in this thread.

Note also that all salespeople, just like yours, will tout the timeshare they are selling as the best trader in the world. If only it were true!

I think you have enough info to make a decision.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
If you haven't already, you should check out what the price would be by a motivated seller by contacting someone at this website: http://www.timesharec21.com/resort_profile.php?rID=24. They are located across the street from the Grand Residence and specialize in both these properties. It's hard to find out what actual resales are in a short amount of time, so they may be your best way to attack this.

On this last Thursday, there were offering 150,000 points for Summer Platnnum and double the self referral which would be 80,000 points, for a total of 230,000. Assuming you are already an owner, the offer should have been for 230,000, otherwise, it should have been at least 150,000. Each sales rep seams to have some lattitude in how much points can be offered.

I hope this helps, ...and no, I didn't bite.

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gary,

You were there the day after I was and you were offered 150,000 points! I only got 105,000!! Hmmm.

Thanks for the web site. I did talk to George at that Century 21 while I was in Lake Tahoe. That is where I got the price of $24,000 for the Summer Platinum unit I purchased at retail. He told me that the hotel rooms offered on the points were difficult to get. I have not really seen that in the letters I have read in TUG. Is this true? I assumed it was sales talk.

You own a couple of Marriotts. Do you trade in for points?

Dave,
I did read Brian's note. The days of 300K point incentives seem long gone. So do retail lock-out Marriotts at $19,000. Even a resale Desert Springs Platinum, through Marriott, would cost $30,000, according to the salesman I saw in Timber Lodge. I saw the same on TUG for under $17,000. So there is no bargain there if I want to get into the Points program with a "lower priced" resale. I do like the idea of the points, though. Along with personal and business credit card use, I could probably get a "free" trip every 3 years, giving up a time share week only once, rather than twice.

Are there any less expensive, decent trading, Platinum Marriotts I should consider in order to get the points, rather than the Timber Lodge?

Stefa,
Thanks for your advice. Perhaps a little more time to sort things out would be a good idea.

Jeff

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I talked to Georges' wife that week and she gave me some numbers what motivated sellers would probably take. I'd talk to George about this.

I primarily use my timeshares, so don't have experience in trading, yet. I may start trading my GC in 07 in hopes of going to Spain and Italy in 08. So far I have been in point acquisition mode and have not spent any, so you'll have to rely on others who have experience with how easly it is to use the points for hotels. Next year will be the year of point disposition. My daughter will be finishing her RN program next year and we will probably allow her to use enough points to put together a travel package. I'd like to put together plans for going to England and Ireland for a couple weeks next year. Those two trips alone could easily soak up 600,000 points. That will only leave me 400,000 for some future trip. It's going to be a full time job trying to use up these suckers...

KenK

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were at Cypress Harbour a few weeks ago. Buying a resale there via MAR (at over twice the cost of listings sold on E Bay.....or buying new (non lock out) the bonus points offer was well over 150,000. Maybe long gone was just at that resort area. ( I will try to find exact info....but there were ALOT of ponts....not as much as the Williamsburg sell out bonus several years ago, though.

The least expensive resale Plat week (that is common, tug has seen gold weeks go for $2500....Cypress Harbour for < $1000 non- spec week from stroman) that I've seen are Williamsburg with the free golf in a no lock out unit for between $7000 and $8000.

No points via these resales, though (unless via Marriott at more cost)

I think your doubts should signal you to stop & check other Marriott & non- Marriott offers. If you are a points wiz, the difference might be worth it...but how many days before your contract locks you in?

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would rescind and do it fast! I agree that Tahoe is lovely but you are spending too much for a trader and maintenance fees are also high. Colorado summer weeks are strong traders and you can get them on ebay for 500 to 3000. It is great to fall in love with a resort or a timeshare system but you are simply spending too much. JMHO Funtime

korndoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
funtime said:
you are spending too much for a trader and maintenance fees are also high. Colorado summer weeks are strong traders and you can get them on ebay for 500 to 3000.

Would that be a Marriott??

THANK YOU ALL for the advice.

On another thread, Brian had suggested that for the high price I should ask for 200,000 incentive points, 110,000 points for this year's non-use, but without mantenance fees this year, plus 105,000 more points just to finance...but to finance only for the minimum required 3 months.

I tried and they did come through with some better incentives, but not enough. They were originally only offering 105,000 incentive. The salesman added 45,000 for a total of 150,000. In addition, they were throwing in a 1 bedroom week at any resort in the system, with an 18 month window to use it. Much better than the original deal, but I think we are going to walk
We sent in the rescinding paper work...that is when he made the offer. He will hold it until Wednesday, the last day we have, just in case we change our mind.

Jeff