• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help I think I made a mistake!

dbutts3

Reaction score
We purchased a time share interest while in Orlando last Saturday we felt good about the decision, we were told we could use our points and stay on Disney property and now I am trying to find info and don't see anything on how that is possible without costing us more money. I believe we have 10 days to cancel our contact and since I cant reach the guy that helped us I am thinking that is the best route. Any advice, we got 154,000 points for 17,000 dollars which now I am feeling was not a good deal. Help!!

Last edited:

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchased a time share interest while in Orland last Saturday we felt good about the decision, we were told we could use our points and stay on Disney property and now I am trying to find info and don't see anything on how that is possible without costing us more money. I believe we have 10 days to cancel our contact and since I cant reach the guy that helped us I am thinking that is the best route. Any advice, we got 154,000 points for 17,000 dollars which now I am feeling was not a good deal. Help!!

Rescind right now! You didn't purchase DVC and you paid far too much for far too little --- whatever it is (the 154k points amount clearly suggests, but does not prove, that's it's probably Wyndham. Wyndham sales weasels are notoriously deceitful btw, along with the sales weasels of Westgate).
You could acquire 154k Wydman points (resale) for mere pennies, virtually any day of the week. $17k is nothing short of just obscene.

You are correct that FL law provides 10 days to rescind (you're very lucky --- it's only 3-7 days in most other states). Every day counts, including non-business days, so you have only a very few days left to rescind. Follow the cancellation instructions precisely and get a certified mail receipt for your rescission letter at a USPS counter. It's that postmark date that matters, not when it is received later. Get hopping and get out, while you still can.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You didn't mention which system you bought into, but I am assuming from the points amount you mention that it is Wyndham. If that's the case, not only should you rescind immediately, but you should also spend a couple of fascinating hours reading the Wyndham BBS here on TUG. The Wyndham Reservations system is completely fouled up, and owners now believe the new website--which went online several weeks ago and which was untested prior to release--was rushed into existence as a way for Wyndham to get on top of a terribly mismanaged points system that was threatening to collapse the points trust.

If it is Wyndham you bought into, not only should you rescind, but I would advise against buying even resale into Wyndham until the mess is straightened out, which could be weeks--if not months--from now.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
+1

You already know that what you bought is not what you were promised. You also know that you have $17,000 on the line based on this impulse purchase. The good news is that you have a get out jail free card; you can rescind. You should.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It sounds like it could be wyndham and unless you negotiated a lot you probably have 154,000 every other year points plus some bonus points.
It also could be Holiday Inn Club Vacations which I am less familiar with their pricing but in that case I don't think it is enough to get a 2 br in the summer.

YOu should rescind ASAP.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Rescind right away. I don't know what the laws are for California, but you should rescind now. Go to the post office and mail your letter to the address for rescission that is in the documents. You need to send it RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED, so you get a slip of paper delivered to you at home, showing Wyndham received it. It's your proof, in case anything goes wrong.

dbutts3

Reaction score
You didn't mention which system you bought into, but I am assuming from the points amount you mention that it is Wyndham. If that's the case, not only should you rescind immediately, but you should also spend a couple of fascinating hours reading the Wyndham BBS here on TUG. The Wyndham Reservations system is completely fouled up, and owners now believe the new website--which went online several weeks ago and which was untested prior to release--was rushed into existence as a way for Wyndham to get on top of a terribly mismanaged points system that was threatening to collapse the points trust.

If it is Wyndham you bought into, not only should you rescind, but I would advise against buying even resale into Wyndham until the mess is straightened out, which could be weeks--if not months--from now.
It was Wyndham, I am going to write my letter now and get to the post office.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind right away. I don't know what the laws are for California, but you should rescind now. Go to the post office and mail your letter to the address for rescission that is in the documents. You need to send it RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED, so you get a slip of paper delivered to you at home, showing Wyndham received it. It's your proof, in case anything goes wrong.

I had assumed that OP made a simple typo error, omitting the letter "o" from Orlando (Florida) , erroneously typing Orland instead. Hope I'm right.
Is there an Orland (no "o") in California? If so, dunno what CA rescission period is, but am reasonably certain it is not as long as Florida's 10 days. :shrug:

dbutts3

Reaction score
Thanks everyone I am so glad I looked into this when we got home. Not being able to get any answers from their website I turned to the internet and found this site and I am so grateful that we did. They made it sound so good and made it seem like we could vacation three times a year on this amount of points. I am always so careful and researched with my decisions and I just feel so used. I have my letter written and I am heading to the post office now to mail it certified. Feeling sad was really hoping to vacation more by so grateful I found out before it was too late.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I just feel so used. I have my letter written and I am heading to the post office now to mail it certified. Feeling sad was really hoping to vacation more by so grateful I found out before it was too late.

Don't feel "used", feel smart! You did your homework (albeit at the 11th hour) and you are now dodging a very expensive bullet. Congrats! :clap:

As a (former) Wyndham owner, I'll say that our 182k points got us one 2BR week, once per year, at a so-so Wyndham property in Atlantic Coast FL.
The assertion that you could somehow extract 3 weeks of vacation out of 154k points was mistaken at best --- and outright, overtly deceitful at worst.

If you are genuinely interested in Wyndham (...but not right now, please --- they have major, ongoing reservation / computer problems at present) you could purchase 154k points (too few for much vacation time, IMnsHO) in the resale market for, at most, a very few hundred dollars (never mind $17k). But that's for another day. Today, focus exclusively on rescinding while you still can. :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My example below is for where I stay most often in Florida ... Pompano Beach. School vacation time is almost always PRIME season at Wyndham resorts.

Most Wyndham sales persons ONLY sell their product and ALL will lie up one side and down the other, about benefits and vacations THEY have taken and what you are getting in value.

154K will NOT get you 3 weeks unless in a studio at the worst time of the year and in the oldest Wyndham resorts. A 154K will get you a STUDIO for 1 week in most of their resorts EXCEPT NYC ... but maybe in PRIME season studio in SOME of the resorts.

If your goal is to stay onsite in Disney properties, BUY DVC (Disney Vacation Club) points. You could have exchanged several years ago ..but today, it is way harder and usually, in the slowest (lowest value) seasons...with ongoing searches.

In the older Wyndham resorts, 154K would get you a PRIME week in a 1bdr. In the newest resort, a studio in the non-prime seasons.

If you are looking for prime seasons, 1bdr unit and 3 weeks total stays, 616K would get you that .. if you spread your vacations over several resorts types and booking seasons.

I book several weeks with Wyndham in Snowbird season in Pompano Beach (South Florida) in the winter. Yes, there are 140K 1bdr units (420K for 3 weeks), but those units are the cheapest 1bdr units and my luck in getting those, should have been used on the one-arm bandits machines in Vegas. The 154K 1/1 units get book very quickly also. Studios units get booked fast for people planning to stay multiple weeks .. right after the 1bdr units. But plan to book 1 week stays in the 2/2 units ... and figure 231K per week (693K in points) ... and if you are lucky, extra points can be used later in the year for other vacations stays.

And MFs for that level of point ownership at those resorts for those weeks' stays, about $4400-4700 per 2017 MFs ... and MFs go up each year (does not include an RT fees .. will likely be okay on HK fees).

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo; indeed there is an Orland, CA located at zip code 95963

Let's hope the OP is from Orlando, FL and not from Orland, CA.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I cant reach the guy that helped us I am thinking that is the best route.

Who is "the guy" and how exactly did he help you? If you are talking about the sales person who sold you this, he by no means helped you other than to get you all worried (while on vacation, at that) and try to separate $17,000 of your hard-earned money from you.

Also, if "the guy" is indeed the sales person who sold you this, trying to reach him is not "the best route". As others have mentioned, "the best route" is what is printed in your contract which is to send your letter of rescission via certified mail. If you try to reach "the guy" (again, assuming this is the guy who sold you the package), the only thing he will try to "help" you do is reverse your decision to rescind.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo; indeed there is an Orland, CA located at zip code 95963
Let's hope the OP is from Orlando, FL and not from Orland, CA.

It matters not at all where the OP is from, but only where the actual transaction at issue here was conducted.
I hope that the transaction was in Orlando, FL and not in Orland, CA. It's already too late to rescind in many states (3-5 days, although some allow 7 days). Only TN, FL (and one other state which escapes me at the moment) have rescission periods as long as 10 days. I think Alaska allows 15 days for contract rescission, but I'm not sure there are many (if any) timeshares in Alaska anyhow. :shrug:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It matters not at all where the OP is from, but only where the actual transaction at issue here was conducted.

Indeed.
OP: Whoever it was that "helped you" was only helping himself while robbing you blind.
That's not to say that you should not buy a TS. Nearly everyone here owns one or more.

If its a vacation mode that suits you, research the resale market...
Read the forums for the specific types you want to consider, and look at prices at...
Closed eBay auctions; www.redweek.com listings, and brokers who specialize in TS's.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
This is the kind of thread where ALL Tuggers agree. RESCIND. DO IT NOW.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Rescind, then buy something from a tug member, better deals here!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't there another 'gotcha' here whereby if you own an Orlando (FL) timeshare, you cannot trade into Disney or any other Orlando timeshare, simply due to the proximity? Something like within 50 miles or so?

Not a FL expert, but thought I'd read that before.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Points portals into rci don't have the Orlando restriction. Even if they did, just because you buy Wyndham in Orlando doesn't mean the points package that they sell you are deeded in Orlando.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding owning Orlando or points from an Orlando resort below is from an RCI exchange into DVC.

There is an area ownership restriction at this resort. If you made this reservation using points from an Orlando ownership or a resort within 30 miles of Disneyworld resorts in Orlando, it will be cancelled and you will be notified about rebooking a non-Disney property.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regarding owning Orlando or points from an Orlando resort below is from an RCI exchange into DVC.

There is an area ownership restriction at this resort. If you made this reservation using points from an Orlando ownership or a resort within 30 miles of Disneyworld resorts in Orlando, it will be cancelled and you will be notified about rebooking a non-Disney property.

So they are now enforcing the restriction when you own at Bonnet Creek or Star Island and book through the portal? What if you own multiple resorts including one of those 2? What if you own CWA that includes Bonnet Creek?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
So they are now enforcing the restriction when you own at Bonnet Creek or Star Island and book through the portal? What if you own multiple resorts including one of those 2? What if you own CWA that includes Bonnet Creek?
No, the word "points" in that statement means "RCI Points."

The area restriction applies to Weeks exchanges and RCI Points exchanges, but not exchanges through the various mini-system portals (e.g. Wyndham, HGVC, etc.) In Weeks, any deposit line that is derived in whole or in part from an Orlando-area ownership cannot be used for DVC. So, if you combine the "leftovers" from an Orlando deposit with some other non-Orlando deposit, the resulting combined deposit is ineligible. But, deposits derived exclusively from non-Orlando weeks are eligible. In RCI Points, any ownership in an Orlando-area resort disqualifies the entire account.