• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! I need to buy a new refrigerator ASAP

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased a new refrigerator in the past couple of years? Do you like it? Is there one you can recommend? I would prefer a top-freezer model but at this point I just want a new one that’s not going to have problems. Thanks.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love our GE Cafe, now rebranded as just Cafe. It dispenses hot water of varying temperature settings. I thought that feature was gimmicky and would break, but nope it works very well. I drink hot tea and use the hot water feature at least once a day. I also use it for soup etc. The fridge has various default settings, meat drawer always at 32 degrees. My produce stays fresh for weeks and meat stays fresh longer since it is at 32 degrees. Spoilage has gone way down. A bunch of celery is still fresh after more than a month. The odor filter ensures that the fridge does not ever have any fridge smell. It is just an amazing engineering piece.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a Samsung French door model, my neighbor has a GE Profile series, my daughter and DIL both have LG models. I wish I could give you a recommendation but the fact is all of these have had problems especially with the ice makers. My daughter actually had hers replaced and Home Depot gave her full credit for the original cost. The new electronic gadgets they put in these things are very unreliable it seems.

Read the reviews on each model especially from Consumer Reports. If you're buying anything more than $1000 then get an extended warrantee. I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear but it's my honest assessment.

I would stay away from GE entirely as they have sold their entire appliance line to another company. The Cafe model described above has been discontinued.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When we bought our fridge a few years ago in our former home, we went with a Kenmore based on price and reliability from Consumer reports. We did not have the ice make hooked up as they say those are what cause problems down the line. We liked it.

Here in the rental house the owners took their really nice LG fridge with 2 bottom drawers in front (freezer and fridge drawer) and left us an old top freezer Frigidaire. (gee- thanks a lot). But- it is old and it is still working.

In our new home we chose a GE Counter Depth French Door fridge (see link below). But this is a smaller fridge as our kitchen there is small. We did no research on it. We just used the builder's contract person who is a GE rep. and another homeowner there also has this one, so we went with it. So much going on I could not painstakingly pick appliances like I did when we remodeled our former kitchen. Hoping for the best.

https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/GWE19JSLSS

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We went the Samsung route w/ 5 little ones. Our 1st has to be replaced because of a defect so buy the extended warranty. Well worth it.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have a KithchenAid (Whirlpool) countertop depth side-by-side. I like it because it only sticks out only 2" - just enough to open the doors wide. We have had no issues with it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just go to Lowe's. Great selection, decent prices. Quick delivery. We have a cabinet above ours and (without considering) installed hardwood floor in the kitchen. Consequently, clearance is an issue. We went with a KitchenAid French Door because it fits. But it turned out to be the same fridge as the bottom freezer unit (2008 vintage) in our condo second home but with a different door configuration. Same layout inside, same filtered water dispenser inside, same ice-maker. So it seems to be reliable. Who knows.

Jim

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious. Someone was advertising a refrigerator from a model home and it didn’t appear to have any shelving on the door. Is this a new trend?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from GE entirely as they have sold their entire appliance line to another company. The Cafe model described above has been discontinued.

GE Cafe is now Cafeappliances.com

We bought ours in early 2014 and is the best refrigerator that we have ever had.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you have been given lots of good advice and the only thing I would add is that I would avoid an ice maker in the door. I have never had a problem with our GE ice maker in the freezer but I had one fridge with ice in the door and in my two year extended warranty period, we had it fixed 6 times! They would come and fix it and it would work for a month or so and then seize up and leak all over the door. When we looked online, the model we had purchased had many complaints about the ice on the door (most posted after we had purchased this newer model). When we replaced our fridge at an appliance store, the salesman said that with an in-door ice maker/water dispenser, you are basically running a second tiny freezer in your refrigerator, which gets opened often. Good luck - buying appliances is such a challenge!

Judi

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like the look of ice & water dispensers in a door, so I avoided that. My primary reason for getting a French Door is that you can put something in the fridge that is really long / big if necessary: such as large roasting pan with a turkey or a giant pan of lasagna.

Yes, I used to have a $10K Sub Zero and hated it. Now I have a straight-forward GE and it's a great fridge!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like the look of ice & water dispensers in a door, so I avoided that. My primary reason for getting a French Door is that you can put something in the fridge that is really long / big if necessary: such as large roasting pan with a turkey or a giant pan of lasagna.

Yes, I used to have a $10K Sub Zero and hated it. Now I have a straight-forward GE and it's a great fridge!
I have. Side by side and can’t even put a small frozen pizza in the freezer.
I will need a new one this year and not looking forward to that purchase

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have. Side by side and can’t even put a small frozen pizza in the freezer.
I will need a new one this year and not looking forward to that purchase
I dislike side-by-sides for exactly this reason. The French door bottom freezer solves this problem, and you only have to open one fridge door for most stuff. The bottom freezer (Which I argued against until we had one) turned out to work unexpectedly well. We have had bottom freezer for over 20 years, so when we encounter a top freezer fridge in timeshares, I'm thankful to get home where I don't have to bend over to get something out of the fridge.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We recently ended up with an Electrolux with french doors and bottom freezer when a buddy closed his shop. I was going to use it in a rental house but decided it was better than our Kenmore so we are now using it. I think our next fridge will be french doors and bottom freezer because I really like this one.

Bill

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you have been given lots of good advice and the only thing I would add is that I would avoid an ice maker in the door. I have never had a problem with our GE ice maker in the freezer but I had one fridge with ice in the door and in my two year extended warranty period, we had it fixed 6 times! They would come and fix it and it would work for a month or so and then seize up and leak all over the door. When we looked online, the model we had purchased had many complaints about the ice on the door (most posted after we had purchased this newer model). When we replaced our fridge at an appliance store, the salesman said that with an in-door ice maker/water dispenser, you are basically running a second tiny freezer in your refrigerator, which gets opened often. Good luck - buying appliances is such a challenge!

Judi

I agree wholeheartedly. Consumer reports sad that a fridge with the icemaker in the door is 3X more likely to break within 5 years.

I would go for the modern french door style. We never had one until recently and it is the BEST.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought one for a rental property. Smaller model without an ice maker, but got it for under $500 including delivery and haul away. Got it at Home Depot. I would never spend a lot on a refrigerator for myself other than stainless (matches the other appliances) and with an ice maker. Look at the reviews on whatever site you buy from. That will give you an idea of quality.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have the Samsung french door model. I wouldn't buy it again. It's mainly been issues with the icemakers. Thankfully, DH has been able to fix it each time but I would recommend going with another brand.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. Consumer reports sad that a fridge with the icemaker in the door is 3X more likely to break within 5 years.

I would go for the modern french door style. We never had one until recently and it is the BEST.
We have the ice maker, water and hot water dispenser on the door with freezer at the bottom on our GE Cafe and we are at 5.5 yrs. We have had no issues.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently ended up with an Electrolux with french doors and bottom freezer when a buddy closed his shop. I was going to use it in a rental house but decided it was better than our Kenmore so we are now using it. I think our next fridge will be french doors and bottom freezer because I really like this one.

Bill
Probably the same fridge as our Frigidaire/KitchenAid. Electrolux bought Frigidaire and is putting their name on all those brands. We have a Frigidaire washer & dryer that are now sold as Electrolux.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I ordered one from Costco.com this morning. Seems like all the refrigerators have enough bad reviews to scare me. With Costco I got 2 extra years of warranty and I purchased another 3 for $99 so its 7 years warranty total. Plus I can take it back for 90 days if I don't like it for what ever reason. Sadly delivery is about 2 weeks, but I fit most of the food in my mini fridge. We'll have to eat our way through the frozen stuff while we can. The old fridge is eerily quiet. It was a Kenmore. I had it for 23 years.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I ordered one from Costco.com this morning. Seems like all the refrigerators have enough bad reviews to scare me. With Costco I got 2 extra years of warranty and I purchased another 3 for $99 so its 7 years warranty total. Plus I can take it back for 90 days if I don't like it for what ever reason. Sadly delivery is about 2 weeks, but I fit most of the food in my mini fridge. We'll have to eat our way through the frozen stuff while we can. The old fridge is eerily quiet. It was a Kenmore. I had it for 23 years.
I suspect you will notice a decrease in your electric bill. I did when I ditched a 20+ year fridge for a new one. Hope you enjoy it.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Just curious. Someone was advertising a refrigerator from a model home and it didn’t appear to have any shelving on the door. Is this a new trend?

When my mom had her kitchen re-done, we added a fridge like this to the laundry room, mainly as a beverage fridge (the door is glass as well). However, it's also used for extra space as needed and I LOVE how much you can fit in there without the door shelves impacting the space.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I do dislike bottom freezers, though. They are essentially a chest freezer and things get buried and you have to take things out to find other things. If I could, I would have one big refrigerator and one big freezer in a kitchen.

Side by sides I hate altogether.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay away from ice and water thru the door. Check Consumer Reports for the latest top models and best door configurations.