• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP! I need a new washing machine.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our trusty Whirlpool just gave out after 10 years of service. Any suggestions for a new washer? Our laundry room is upstairs (above the dining room -- YUCK) so we'd like something very quiet and not too bouncy.

I have been looking at the new frontload machines but they are pricy and require those special HE detergents. Topload would be ok too since that is what we had before and it worked well. I just need it to have a BIG capacity for my active family.

Thanks! Katherine

Jbart74

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frontloaders (generally) have a larger load capacity. They also use MUCH less water and MUCH less detergent, saving you real countable dollars all year long. They are also very quiet compared to most top loaders.

That High Efficiency detergent is easy to find in any supermarket, club-store, walmart, etc. and you only have to buy a bottle every couple of months, which I love.

So, I guess you could say I'm a fan :D

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are loving our new Frigidaire Affinity (front loader) set that was a Consumer's Reports Best Buy this past Spring. Lowes matched any better price we found. It isn't the top o' the line, but has plenty of bells and whistles. Does one really need 20 cycles anyway?

It does spin very fast and you might notice that, but is quiet and if your old machine's spin cycle didn't bother you, the higher speed front loader shouldn't either.

As to capacity, the drum seems smaller than our old top loader, but the manual says to load it full, just don't pack, and since the spin cycle extracts soooo much more water, clothes dry faster making the whole laundry ordeal go quicker.

Jim Ricks

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Another fan of frontloaders

We've had our LG Tromm front loading washer and dryer for a little over a year now and love them.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Frontloaders (generally) have a larger load capacity. They also use MUCH less water and MUCH less detergent, saving you real countable dollars all year long. They are also very quiet compared to most top loaders.

That High Efficiency detergent is easy to find in any supermarket, club-store, Wilmar, etc. and you only have to buy a bottle every couple of months, which I love.

So, I guess you could say I'm a fan :D

The High Efficiency detergent is wonderful and saves lots of money. We buy the H.E. detergent through Sears and it's only $19.95 a bucket. I like the detergent with softener added (it smells great, plus I still add my own softener.) We buy one bucket of detergent a year. That is $19.95 for an entire year of washing for an family of four. I wash at least a load or two everyday, seven days a week. The directions are for 2 Tablespoon per load. Not all H.E. detergents use the same amount...some use more. I am constantly washing, my son's in football, and daughter in karate. Sometimes when my son's friend come over after the game (often) and spend the night I wash their uniforms too!

We just purchased a LG front load washer a year ago and I absolutely love it! We do not have a second story, so I do not know about the noise and movement would be on the second floor. Good Luck!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I was just looking on line at the LG frontload ones. I called Sears and the sales guy said the new ones are made for upstairs too but the older ones are not advised on upper floors.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02606463000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+&+Dryers&sName=

I didn't miss the fact that it is the most expensive one ($1444 on sale this week :eek: ). Gotta admit that cherry red is pretty cool.

Our detergent situation is tricky because my older DD has eczema. So we are stuck using All Free and CLear. I have seen their HE version but I know it's not cheap.

Katherine

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife is alergic to most soaps, but doesn't have any problem with the generic Kirkland free HE liquid detergent (white bottle). It's cheap & lasts for a long time.

ps: That's a very good price!

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just switched from our older Whirlpool set to the Bosch front-loading set which requires the new HE suds. I have to tell you, I *almost* like doing laundry now, when I hated it before. We got the kind that sit on top of the storage units below, so it is so easy to load and unload, and as previously mentioned, you really don't need to use much detergent. And I have noticed they seem to clean better and dry more efficiently. I just can't figure out how they can clean better using what seems to be such a small amount of water? :shrug:

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
luvsvacation2, what is the name of the detergent you get from Sears? I might have to go ahead and try that one.
We just took the plunge and bought frontloaders. Short and simple, I love it.
If your nervous about the electronics we bought the service agreement from Lowe's for $159 and it covers both washer and dryer for a full 5 years. Can't beat that. Good luck on your decision. :)

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I was just looking on line at the LG frontload ones. I called Sears and the sales guy said the new ones are made for upstairs too but the older ones are not advised on upper floors.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02606463000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+&+Dryers&sName=

I didn't miss the fact that it is the most expensive one ($1444 on sale this week :eek: ). Gotta admit that cherry red is pretty cool.

Our detergent situation is tricky because my older DD has eczema. So we are stuck using All Free and CLear. I have seen their HE version but I know it's not cheap.

Katherine

I use Tide Free HE in mine. I can get it all of our major grocery stores.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 2 or 3 yrs ago I needed a new washer and dryer and didn't want the front loading washer because of the bending. I purchased a GE Profile, top loader, no agitator. It is connected to my dryer via a computer cable and when I empty the washer and load the dryer, the computer sends the weight of the washed load to the dryer. Has lots of different cycles, does huge loads, and uses much less water when I use the hand wash cycle (clothes usually in a mesh bag.) No problems with it so far.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Kath, I have a 'plain' Frigidaire frontloader -I just LOVE it.... clothes are cleaner and dryer when they come out of the washer....just great!
And yes, I do enjoy doing the wash now...LOL!

As far as DDs allergies, I was reading my operations manual and it seems most of these washers have an 'extra rinse cycle' which is recommended for people with allergies/sensitive skin. You can program the washer to ALWAYS include this option with every wash.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom-AKV
luvsvacation2, what is the name of the detergent you get from Sears? I might have to go ahead and try that one.
We just took the plunge and bought frontloaders. Short and simple, I love it.
If your nervous about the electronics we bought the service agreement from Lowe's for $159 and it covers both washer and dryer for a full 5 years. Can't beat that. Good luck on your decision. :)

Advance Formula Ultra Plus Laundry Detergent with Fabric Softener ( pink lid.):)

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Animal Kingdom-AKV
I had a 20 year old GE washing machine before my LG and what a difference in technology! With my old machine I pretreated and scrubbed, washed and rewashed my son's football clothes ; I could not get the stains and odor out. My new wonderful machine gets out the stains without retreating and absolutely no odor ( even when he forgets the clothes at school for the weekend) and they come back reeking and wet! His football jerseys smell fresh and clean!
When I first got the machine I was thrilled and excited about how it washed clothes. I am embarrassed to admit that I sat in front of the washing machine and watched it wash the first several loads of laundry.Then I scurried through the house, looking for things to wash. I washed everything I could find in the house and closets, clothes, blankets, tablecloths, material, bedspreads anything and everything! It washed it fast, clean, without much water and practical dry! Washing is a breeze! If only they could invent something to make folding and putting laundry away as fun! :)
I am sure any washer you get will be an improvement over the machines with older technology!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hysterical: :rofl: I am sure my DH will love to see me run around the house "finding more things to wash." Thanks for the tips. I think we will go to Best Buy to take a look at some options and then plop down the money for a new washer. I'd like to keep the dryer for alittle while longer if at all possible?!

Kath

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kath-
I purchased the LG 2487 model (white) about 2 months ago and I'm very happy with it. The dirty, smelly football uniforms are coming out clean and fresh. It also has steam and an Allergine cycle. I love the fact that it uses less water & energy.

I had an old (almost 30 years) Maytag set, but replaced the dryer several years ago. I didn't see the point in getting a new dryer now, they aren't in a place anyone but family will see them anyway.

I checked Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy & RC Willey. There were some sales for Labor Day so I got it for just under $1,100. Then I added the storage unit so with tax it was around $1,350. Check Best Buy online, they had better prices than the store.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had Whirlpool for over 15 years, and finally got a new set of Bosch. They're up higher on top of storage units, and I just love that feature. Plus, I'm like others in the post...I'm amazed at how little water and detergent the new models use and still the clothes come out cleaner than ever!

Just love the set, and it has almost made me enjoy doing laundry! LOL.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
So what did you end up buying???

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops, think I posted twice to the same message, basically saying the same thing. I think I may have too many distractions and may belong to too many message boards. Just clarifying in case anyone thinks I have lost it...just consider me zoned out to many goings-on nowadays. :rofl: