• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP!.. I bought a floating unit and still have opt out time.

cwkidder32

Reaction score
I bought a floating unit at fantasy world resort in orlando.
I am trying to figure out if I overpaid for it and what kind of future fees I am looking at. I paid 5900 for it on a biennial(every even year) week equalling 90,000 exchange points. We do more 3 day weekends than full vacations so I thought I could break that down in a few nice short stays a year. We use interval international for exchanges and I was also hoping that the getaway weeks were a good deal. I don't have access to the interval site yet so haven't been able to research if the getaways or exchanges would work out for me. Also maintenance is 357 yearly. After first free.year as gold member of II I think it's 99 a year. Basically been looking around and have seen so many pros and cons of ownership I would appreciate some advice on my exact situation. Also my week I get every other year is 179 to use.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you should rescind. Timeshare use requires planning well ahead. Short stays are not all that easy to use- the whole concept is geared to full week stays. That $5900 will buy you a lot of resale weeks (at a few hundred each) and pay a lot of maintenance and exchange fees.

Remember- there is no such thing as a 'new' timeshare. Someone slept in the bed the day before you check in and someone else will use it when you leave.

At the very least, rescission would give you time to explore what's available, learn about timeshares other than from a salesweasel who has a vested interest in you buying from him (or her). If after looking at all the options, you still think this is the best deal for you, the 'deal' will always be available.

Best wishes, and Welcome to TUG.

Jim

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Where do you like to do your weekend stays?
If it's Orlando, Williamsburg, or Branson you may be in luck. Other places probably not.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
OPT OUT!!!

Rescind ... $5900 ... it is NOT worth even a $1, much less almost $6000.00.

Send the RESCIND LETTER today via the US Post Office Certified Mail Return Receipt .... And a copy regular mail also.

All you have to say is:

We (John & Jane Smith) are exercising our "Right to Rescind" the purchase of contract #1234123 at XYZ Resort for ABC Club on October XX, 2014 immediately.

Please refund in full all deposit monies or charges to our credit card.

Sign & date: _______________ _______________
---------------- John Smith -------------- Mary Smith

Keep a copy and the receipt for the mailing.

NOW! All states have different deadlines - it is WHERE you brought the item the counts.

Look thru the buyers' pack for the information and mailing address. Do NOT CALL THE RESORT or SALES department. The sales department GOAL at this point is to NOT CALL you back, so as for you to LOSE the right to rescind by stalling you. You can always buy the exact same thing tomorrow (and it might be for less money).

And after you mail the rescind packet, DO NOT TAKE any phone calls from the sales weasals ... they are going to LIE to you ... HANG UP immediately. No good will come out of calling them or talking to them ... they are paid via COMMISSION ONLY.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a floating unit at fantasy world resort in orlando.
I am trying to figure out if I overpaid for it and what kind of future fees I am looking at. I paid 5900 for it on a biennial(every even year) week equalling 90,000 exchange points..... <snip>

Yes, you overpaid (by about $5,899, IMnsHO) and yes, you should rescind (cancel) while you still have the time and legal option to do so.

You can rent a whole lot of "3 day weekends" for that $6k, which doesn't even take into account your periodic (and forever) maintenance fees.
Exchanging, if you chose to pursue that often frustrating and time consuming exercise, has inherent additional costs (i.e., membership and fees per exchange) with absolutely no assurances that you can ever actually obtain at all the particular dates and places and space that you seek.

It's your call, your decision (...and your money), but I would strongly recommend promptly rescinding this purchase --- while you still can do so.
This is a "deal" that you could easily obtain any time on any day, since it's really no "deal" at all in the first place. 'Nuff said.

P.S. If you are bound and deterrmined to become an owner, with a little homework you could likely find and purchase nearly the same thing on eBay --- for a buck.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Job, Linda!

OPT OUT!!!

Rescind ... $5900 ... it is NOT worth even a $1, much less almost $6000.00.

Send the RESCIND LETTER today via the US Post Office Certified Mail Return Receipt .... And a copy regular mail also.

All you have to say is:

We (John & Jane Smith) are exercising our "Right to Rescind" the purchase of contract #1234123 at XYZ Resort for ABC Club on October XX, 2014 immediately.

Please refund in full all deposit monies or charges to our credit card.

Sign & date: _______________ _______________
---------------- John Smith -------------- Mary Smith

Keep a copy and the receipt for the mailing.

NOW! All states have different deadlines - it is WHERE you brought the item the counts.

Look thru the buyers' pack for the information and mailing address. Do NOT CALL THE RESORT or SALES department. The sales department GOAL at this point is to NOT CALL you back, so as for you to LOSE the right to rescind by stalling you. You can always buy the exact same thing tomorrow (and it might be for less money).

And after you mail the rescind packet, DO NOT TAKE any phone calls from the sales weasals ... they are going to LIE to you ... HANG UP immediately. No good will come out of calling them or talking to them ... they are paid via COMMISSION ONLY.

You gave the OP everything they need to get out of this horrible transaction, except the envelope and postage. Way to go! :cheer:

cwkidder32

Reaction score
Thanks Linda.. they are still going to get me for $650 because they are saying the 2 nights they put me up in a Doubletree in Orlando were worth that much when I know I can get that exact hotel for 101 a night through priceline. Should have listened to the wife! He had me on idea of renting the getaways and making enough money on that in 1 or 2 years to pay the 6000 and all maintenance and exchange fees.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't think you can rent the getaways no matter what, if they could they would.

Just because they didn't buy they shouldn't have to pay for the hotel inflated rate being quoted........... :ponder: You gave them your time and now want to rescind so Is it an empty threat aka sales lie??

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dispute to YOUR credit card company the billing ... YOU met their REQUIREMENT that you listen to their SALES pitch. By rescind it is the same as if you DID NOT BUY ... the 2 night stay was their "BRIBE" or GIFT for you to listen their sales pitch.

AND what did YOU not understand about my comment to NOT TALK TO THE SALES WEASALS .... ?????

Talking is NOT THE LEGAL WAY to RESCIND A WRITTEN CONTRACT ... you have to due it by a written correspondence and sent by way for YOU to have PROOF! Certified Mail Return Receipt Required --- that is your legal proof YOU notified them within the recession period of time as by STATE LAW and what is in YOUR contract.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Truth or consequences...

None of us here (...I am certainly including myself) really know what (...if any) pre-presentation agreement the OP may have signed, previous to (and entirely separate and apart from) the timeshare purchase contract. There may have been some pre-appearance contract or travel agreement signed, in which the "free lodging" became a billable cost in the event of non-purchase? I dunno. :shrug:

In the absence of any such pre-travel , pre-presentation signed agreement however, the weasels absolutely cannot withhold any such "lodging" charge in any amount from the full refund of his / her deposit. If the weasels try to inappropriately do so (...the "threat" may actually be just another sales weasel lie in a desperate attempt to salvage the sale and commission), then the OP should fight tooth and nail to have any any such (...literally) larcenous and inappropriate charge promptly reversed.

Good luck, OP. Go get 'em!

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... they are still going to get me for $650 because they are saying the 2 nights they put me up in a Doubletree in Orlando were worth that much.... <snip>

Linda is absolutely correct in noting previously above that there should be no (legally meaningless) "phone conversation" taking place with the lying sales weasels.

OP's signed letter of rescission will do all of the talking. ALL of it! No phone calls should be be made (or accepted) on this matter.
Any and all ''conversation" about the contract is legally meaningless. Worse, it's complete inadequate and irrelevant to actually effect a contract rescission, which must be in writing and postmarked within the rescission period provided by applicable state law (10 days in Florida, where OP purchased).

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
To echo what the others have said, unless you signed something that said your included stay at the Doubletree was dependent on your actually BUYING from them, by law, they owe you every penny of the amount of the contract.

Rescission, by it's definition, means to put the sale off as if it didn't happen. Any promised gifts- including lodging so you would attend their presentation- is yours to keep.

NOW- DO NOT TALK TO THEM. Follow the instructions for rescission contained in your contract. It's probably near the signature page, and is probably initialed by both of you. Absent that, use the template above and mail it to their business office- not the resort- certified w/return receipt. Add to the letter, "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover." Send their junk back to them. Some outfits charge $50-$250 for it if you keep it.

Jim

And if you need someone to help you spend that $6K, buy the next TUGger you see a beer.

cwkidder32

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I didn't call them back on Lindas advice. I basically copied and pasted Lindas script and printed it up. I have the address and will get certified mail out Monday morning which will be 7 days. It is in contract though that if I opt out of the sale that they will charge for the nights that were supposedly gifted for the presentation.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only way they can charge you rack rate for the Double Tree room, is if you didn't show up for the inquisition, I mean presentation, your right to opt out is guaranteed by state law, you cannot be charged for the protection.

Why bother selling timeshares, if they could make $ 500 profit on everyone that didn't buy, much less paper work and they could turn the room every 15 minutes

I had free accommodations as an additional incentive from DRI, when I arrived to use them they tried to tell me I had to go on another presentation, my paperwork said otherwise, I'd have disputed the charge had they tried to charge us for the room.

Last edited: