• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HELP! I am hooked on this site!

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't even closed on my timeshare yet, I cannot log onto II or RCI, or look up any getaways or bonus weeks or ACs or any of the other acronyms I have learned about on this site but I am becoming obsessed! I find myself looking forward to coming down in the morning and checking the new posts!! I feel I am getting to know the regulars. I talk about timesharing non stop! My husband or I should say my DH thinks I have gone mad!

But I think you have to be a little compulsive to do timesharing well. It looks like it takes perseverance bordering on addiction to get good trades and work out schedules to vacation well. Do you agree?:)

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome. There is a world of tips and information available on this site (plus the unique ability to ask questions and get useful answers). In answer to your question, yes! There is a method to successful timesharing so keep reading and don't forget to use the SEARCH function! :hi:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It does indeed get worse...

Now that I own all the weeks I can afford, I've switched to talking others into getting good buys and living vicariously through their purchases!

Welcome to the madness!

(This is my 1000th post already! :rofl: )

hefleycatz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think were all hooked. :cheer: It's a great site with so much needed info for all of us that are just beginning.

Welcome:hi: [/FONT]

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
This is a great site, with wonderful, helpful people. I wish I would have found it before that 1st purchase. There is a wealth of information here.

Donna

suesam

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure which is more addicting, timesharing or TUG. :shrug: Tug is a great place with great people.

Good Luck!

Sue

charford

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi My name is charford and I'm a TUG addict. I first started reading TUG about 10 years ago. It was the first bulletin board I read. Although I have experimented with other bulletin boards, I keep coming back to TUG. It has been an hour since my last timeshare purchase. :rolleyes:

Yes, TUG and timesharing are truly addicting. :hi:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Some of these responses got a chuckle...they are great

Welcome to the site!

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
So nice to know I am not only one. I was beginning to wonder.

Donna

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Have you seen my number of posts. :eek: Yes, this is the true number and is not a misprint.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think it's time for Steve to dig out his initial response when I was concerned about this several years ago.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are not alone.....Timeshare annonymous...TUG annonymous.....

I am a definate vacation, Tug, Timeshare addict.....my family already knows I have gone over the edge, oh well it could be worse....

Welcome to the addiction!!!

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
not sure how to delete a duplicate post so I am trying this...I am having problem with this site at present...so be back later

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yea...sorry about that...apparently the tech doesnt understand the whole 2am to 6am thing.

should be fine now.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think it's time for Steve to dig out his initial response when I was concerned about this several years ago.

Do you mean this one? It's a bit dated because some of the people referenced have moved on. But overall it still works.

Yup, Sharon, you've caught the timeshare bug.

The infection has a well-defined pathology.

In the initial infection stages, the victim becomes noticeably anxious and stimulated as the bug spreads throughout the body The victim excitedly makes travel and vacation plans, but this excitement is accompanied by bewilderment as the victim becomes overwhelmed by the pervasiveness and variants in the timeshare bug world-wide. Some confusion and doubt is also typical at this stage as victims wonder what is happening to them and have doubts about whether they made the right decisions. Sleeplessness, accompanied by long hours of looking on line for exchanges, is also common at this stage. Sudden urges to buy more timeshares may also appear at this stage, especially if the victim has been exposed to one of the South African versions.

After several months the symptoms moderate, and the infection becomes a lower grade, chronic infection. The confusion and doubt always diminish in this stage and are the best evidence that the infection is moving into a chronic state. Even after reaching a chronic state, however, the infection periodically flares up into a highly active and visible form, often at least once or twice per year. The more vacation time the victim has available, the more frequent and severe the flare-ups are likely to be.

Research has shown that the mode of transmission for the timeshare bug is via a process called "exchanging", and this occurs in two distinct steps. The process is initiated when the victim" makes" an exchange. This is often accompanied by a sudden burst of happiness, sometimes reaching euphoria. Sometime after the exchange is made, the person usually travels to a distant location to "complete" the exchange. This process usually lasts for about one week. As the exchange is completed, the person usually experiences deep satisfaction. At this time the infection is often transmitted to family members and friends of the victim who are present during the exchange.

Secondary flare-ups can also occur at any time independent of the exchanging process. These are often accompanied by such behaviors as buying or selling of timeshares. These secondary flare-ups are easily triggered by messages from other carriers of the infection. A single message on a BBS has been known to cause simultaneous frenzied buying of timeshare by infected individuals.

Several clear variants in the pathology of the disease are recognized. In Harper's Condition the victim engages in uninterrupted exchange completions lasting as long as four or five months. Fletch's Disorder manifests itself in the continual buying and selling of timeshares, frequent exchange completion, and uncontrollable urges to transmit the Marriott and Royal strains of the bug. DeSchryver’s Syndrome is a particularly strong variant. A victim with DeSchryver's Syndrome manages to maintain the euphoria of the initial stages of the disease almost uninterruptedly into the later stages. A DeSchryver case will also obsess in searching for the timeshare that is the ultimate combination of low cost and high exchange power, and will buy, sell and test timeshares continuously in pursuit of that goal. The DeSchryver also uses the excitement associated with that pursuit to amplify the other pleasurable aspects of the timesharing infection.

There is no known cure for a timeshare infection; nor is there any reason to try to cure the infection since it actually is beneficial. In addition to the pleasurable symptoms described above, many of the victims report lowered stress, happier family life, and increased mental stimulation due to the infection. The only recommended treatment is frequent interaction with a support group comprised of other infected individuals. The TUG remedy has been documented to be the most effective mode of treatment.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This seems like as good a time as any to blow the dust off the covers and bindings of the TUG songbook:

Thank God I'm a Timeshare Guy

Well stayin’ in timeshares is really pretty grand,
Whether you’re traveling the US or in another land
Listen to this song and then you’ll understand.
Thank God I'm a timeshare guy.

CHORUS:
Well I got me a fixed week, I got me a floater.
I can go to England and be a narrow boater;
Or fish a lake in northern Minnesota

A timeshare kind of trip is a tonic anytime
While traveling with your family it really works fine
With a bedroom for the kids it’s truly joy sublime

CHORUS:

When I come home from work and the sun's setting low
I get online to find places we can go.
Then I go visit TUG ‘cause there’s always more to know

CHORUS:

I'd search for trades all day if I could,
but the lord and my wife wouldn't take it very good.
So I travel when I can and I work when I should:

CHORUS:

I wouldn't swap my weeks for tickets or cruises,
I check with my wife and she always refuses
We just keep our week and forget those other uses:

CHORUS:

Yeah other folks stuck in the old hotel scene
Lots of other people think that's mighty keen.
Well, folks let me tell you now exactly what I mean:
I thank God I'm a timeshare guy.

CHORUS:
Well my timeshare does have big yearly fees,
But I get condo suites that always seem to please,
Way better than those rooms of Travelocity’s,
CHORUS:

Well, our weeks are all deeded so we’ll have them till we die
And when we’re gone our kids will get them by and by.
We’ve said: Plan lots of trips and enjoy the sea and sky
I thank God they’re timeshare guys.

CHORUS:

My TUGger friends taught how to buy and how to trade.
They taught me how to swap and how to upgrade
They showed me that with timeshare you’ve really got it made.
Thank God for those timeshare guys.

FINALE:
Well I got me a fixed week, I got me a floater.
I can go to England and be a narrow boater;
Or spend a week in Northern Minnesota

[Ready now? Shout it out!!]

THANK GOD I'M A TIMESHARE GUY!

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Steve, I just love that one. Thanks for bringing it back again for all the newbies and for a nostalgic chuckle from my first days on TUG.

I miss Hatrack, doesn't everyone else miss him?

pammex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve, I just love that one. Thanks for bringing it back again for all the newbies and for a nostalgic chuckle from my first days on TUG.

I miss Hatrack, doesn't everyone else miss him?

Oh me too, that was awesome and I have all those diseases....but as you say they are beneficial...yippeee!!!:cheer:

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't wait till my infection spreads:hysterical:

Thanks for the laughs everyone! I am glad I found you:whoopie:

Lila

lprstn

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have been .... Assimulated...

We are all TUG addicts...

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are all TUG and timeshare addicts. None of us can get enough of either BUT WE KEEP TRYING! :D