• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help:Grand Cayman or Puerto Vallarta in Aug?

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I finally worked out a travel pkg that works for us. We just didn't have the air miles for something better. These may not be the best choices but if you had to choose which would you go to? 2 adults 2 kids age 11 and 8 who want to relax and swim, sightsee.

Aug 26-23
Casa Magna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort and Spa

Or

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort.

I'm aware of hurricane threats during this time frame but maybe one is at least risk or the other? Can you get Travel Insurance w/these pkgs?

THANK YOU!!

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Grand Cayman but never to Puerto Vallarta. The Caymans are definitely a hurricane threat in August...I would think more so than Puerto Vallarta. Obviously you would be taking a longer flight to Mexico though. Are either flights direct?

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both are non-stop on Continental and PV is only 1 hour longer.

We live in NJ also. Is your gore name in reference to Gore mtn? We ski there.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm booked into Casa Magna in PVR for mid September. it's our second trip there. I would think August would be a little on the warm side but other than that PVR is great with lots of stuff to do. August is not tourist season so it won't be crowded and you'll probably be more likely to get a room upgrade. Cabs are inexpensive but a car rental for a day or two would be good to do some exploring. The kids will absolutely love a hot air balloon ride. We plan on repeating that this time.

Never been to Cayman so I can't help you there.

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read some great reviews on Trip Advisor and the only main risk is rain but hey we've swum in rain before with the pool to ourselves in Aruba.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Went to PV in Aug many years ago. It was soooo hot. Too hot to even lay under a palapa in the shade. Alomost miserable hot and I actually really like the sun. The ocean didn't even seem refreshing. Just my experience.
Have fun whereeveryou decide.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will be almost too hot to bare. It's the type of hot that hurts immediately. June is better and the latest I would go is early July. Can you move the dates? You may enjoy it more.

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well after reading your post I went back to Continental (after midnight) and saw more FF availability. Do you think July 12-19 would be better??

I appreciate the opinions - thanks.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
July 12 will be definitely better than late Aug. It's still not ideal but there's less chance of getting stuck in a hurricane and the weather will be better. I would get insurance if you go in July. I would also keep looking for June since you may get lucky.

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
chanC to St. Maartin from PV

Called Continental and got FF flights, that I did NOT see online, to St. Maartin in June which is an island that we want to go to. We'll be staying at the Marriott there. So we are doing this instead of PV in July or Aug - we'll go another time. Got my Travel Pkg quickly.

Advice: If you see somewhere you want to go but don't see the FF online, then call as it seems the reps see more possibilities.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that's a dream vacation! St. Maarten in June will be very nice and the island is one of my favorites. Congratulations on planning a great trip!

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be OK weather wise as you are very early into Hurricane Season. BTW Gore Mountain is great but that's not why I chose this screen name!! ;)

wegottago

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would not believe what I did! After spending hours figuring out where to go instead of PV I thought I ended up with something great. Only after I made all the reservations and was emailing my brother to tell him did I reallize my mistake. I got continental FF to St Maarten BUT the Marriott at St. Thomas. I couldn't believe it! I've never done anything so stupid before.

Sooo guess where we are going? PV July 12-19 at the CasaMagna Marriott. And it was all so easy to get that I should have just stuck with my original plan. Hopefully some day we'll use the TS to St. Thomas.

I have to say I finally had a really great guy at the rewards desk who helped me with the original reservation to St. T and changing it all to PV, and everything was done in a timely matter.