• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help for first visit to New York please!

pannie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be at the Manhattan Club (my first visit) the week of March 11. Would love to get your input on what we (husband and I) should not miss; any special tips for first time visitors; any "MUST SEE MUST DO" things; any freebies or low cost fun things? Also, I have read about getting half-price tickets for the theater -- is there any way to get half-price tickets for Lincoln Center, Metropolitan or Carnegie Hall? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Pannie

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Pannie,
Heres a couple of suggestions. The MC is across the street from Carnegie Hall, walk across the street and if the box office is open, just ask.
Two weeks ago we walked into the box office where The Producer's was playing, and found excellent $31.00 matinee seats but we opted for $46.00 center balcony evening seats. All because we went there and, asked.
Forget about TKTS (unless there is nothing else), or the concierge...first go and ask.
Also, hang around Times Square in late PM, and look for guys with clipboards. They are most likely giving away cancellation seating for Letterman and Conan. No cost for either.
It's a fun town..hope thw weather's nice

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
suenmike32 said:
Pannie,
Also, hang around Times Square in late PM, and look for guys with clipboards. They are most likely giving away cancellation seating for Letterman and Conan. No cost for either.
It's a fun town..hope thw weather's nice

What time are you suggesting and any certain days?

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Go over to Rockefeller Center early morning and watch the Today show outside, you might be on TV. Also be sure to eat at the Stage Deli just around the corner from MC. If the rink is still open, watch them skate at Rockefeller Center.

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
About an hour before curtain on most Broadway shows, they release the no-show house seats. I've often gotten great seats to sold out shows like that. Same with Lincoln Center.

wauhob3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holly said:
About an hour before curtain on most Broadway shows, they release the no-show house seats. I've often gotten great seats to sold out shows like that. Same with Lincoln Center.

Are these the ones that are a lottery system at a cheap price or are they full price?

Bill4728

Reaction score
The highlight of your last trip was walking across the Brooklyn bridge. Take the subway to the city hall area and walk the 3/4 of a mile across. What a way to connect the the locals. Be sure to bring your camera.

Just north of the city hall area, is Canal street and nearby is china town and Little Itlay both lots of local flavor.

Have a great trip.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
wauhob3 said:
What time are you suggesting and any certain days?

We just happened to be wandering around about 4-5pm mid-week when "a clip-board" approached us to go the a Letterman taping the next day at 5:00pm.
I then noticed another "clip-board", giving away Conan seats as well.
No special time...just be observant and hang near one of the "clip-board guys" when you see them.
By the way, as far as going to the box office (for theater tickets), we didn't wait till an hour before the show, we just wandered in about 4:00pm in the afternoon and asked "whattayagot?".
Good luck

One more thing...If you like an occasional beer, go to McSorley's Ale House at
15 East 7th Street. It was built in 1854 and has changed very little since then. Sawdust on the floors...it's like stepping back in time. Not pricey at all either (all beer, McSorley's only, served 2 at a time for $4.00).

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try art..This is the place!

Visiting New York City is a wonderfull chance to see great art. There are half a dozen museums that are knock outs. Maybe you think you don't like art? NYC has museums that will change you mind.

The Metropolitan: Unbelievable impressionists, Van Gogh, Rembrant, a real transplanted Egyptian temple, mummies,a Chinese garden, blocks of european and american antiques a huge fashion gallery...You could go once or spend a week.World class gift shop.

The Museum of Modern Art..so tickets cost $20. It is worth it. Picasso, Matise, modern desighn, free jazz concerts.

Museum of Natural History..Human evolution, Pre Columnian gold, South Pacific and African art. Wonderfull for kids with dinasar bones gallore. Excellent gift shop.

The Gugenheim, The Whitney, The Frick,or if your feeling Mideval, the Cloisters are all wonderful museums.

Take the Circle line boat trip around the Island. If your strong and can't get tickets you can stand in line and get cheap same day standing room at the Met and see an opera or try the New York City Opera.

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
try cafe wha

If you enjoy music I suggest you to to the villiage eat dinner there there are tone of great restraunts and they are priced much cheaper than you will find in the times square area. After dinner go over to the cafe wha?. You will need reservations they can be found at www.cafewha.com they have the best live music with the cafe wha band that i have ever heard. Wed and Sun no cover and just 5.00 on thursday. we usually hit this on thursday evening. The play all types of music. I also agree with the prevoius poster on the circle line cruise. We have done both the half island and full island and enjoyed them both very much. It gets you nest to the statue of liberty and also they give you great history of the island fom the water. What ever you do you will enjoy. This is by far our favorite city.
Rod

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
NYC Info on Tug Sticky

Pannie,

If you haven't already seen it - check out the Sticky posted by Moderator Ken K that's on the Top of the Tug BBS Eastern Thread Tttled "Eastern BBS City & Area Weblinks".

If you click on that hyperlink, you will find a thread that's devoted to NYC
This link will take you directly to the NYC Info from Ken K & Tuggers

Richard

pannie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for terrific suggestions

Dear Tuggers:
Thanks so much for the terrific suggestions. I have printed them out and put them in my New York file. All the suggestions are great. Yes, I do love art and plan on checking out the museums -- have already purchased my CityPass. I am so excited about going. Thanks again. Pannie