• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Dad found out he has cancer and has to start Chemo - Can't go...

CourtShorr

Reaction score
My dad just found out that he has cancer and that his chemo treatments will start soon. His oncologist said that he cannot go on our trip to Hawaii in 25 days. What can I do? I booked his room for his retirement trip. Any suggestions on possibly saving those points? ( It is NOT the end of the world if we cannot do anything. My Dad's health is vastly more important to me. Just trying to do what I can). Thanks

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dad just found out that he has cancer and that his chemo treatments will start soon. His oncologist said that he cannot go on our trip to Hawaii in 25 days. What can I do? I booked his room for his retirement trip. Any suggestions on possibly saving those points? ( It is NOT the end of the world if we cannot do anything. My Dad's health is vastly more important to me. Just trying to do what I can). Thanks
Such terrible news- positive thoughts to your dad and the family.
You can cancel Abound points and they go into a holding account to be booked within 60 days of travel. They still expire at the end of their use year.

Or you can try to rent the trip on redweek or such.

Last edited:

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this-h
You can cancel Abound points and then go into a holding account.
Thank you. We are all devastated. We lost my mom when I was a teen, so I just can't imagine losing him too.
We are new-ish to all of the points world. What does it mean when points are in holding?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. We are all devastated. We lost my mom when I was a teen, so I just can't imagine losing him too.
We are new-ish to all of the points world. What does it mean when points are in holding?
Sorry I was editing when you replied.
Just means you can only book them a maximum of 60 days before travel.
You can find more info on the owners site faq (under resources, helpful tools).

I believe you can cancel yourself online or do a chat and have them do it and answer your questions too. I always save a transcript or screen shot the chat for later reference.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
Sorry I was editing when you replied.
Just means you can only book them a maximum of 60 days before travel.
You can find more info on the owners site faq (under resources, helpful tools).

I believe you can cancel yourself online or do a chat and have them do it and answer your questions too. I always save a transcript or screen shot the chat for later reference.
Thank you. I will go read into that.
I don't know if you would know this but would it be worth putting it into Interval at all?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, please keep your father spirts up and positive.
Surround him with love and positive happy family members.
Cancer and chemo treatments are not the end of life. IMHO.

I have been a cancer patient now for over ten (10) years. Think Positive and I Thank God each day I open my yes.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will go read into that.
I don't know if you would know this but would it be worth putting it into Interval at all?
Are you saying you reserved the room with abound points?
You can’t put that reservation into interval.
You can’t deposit the points you get back after cancelling into interval either.
Do a chat on MVC and let them tell you what you can do with them.
Type agent to get by the bot.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this, all the best with the treatment.

If you have travel insurance that will cover this then look in to that. Make sure that you don't cancel the booking if your insurance covers it, the reservation has to go unused for you to be able to make the claim.

TravelJoy

TUG Member
Reaction score

First I know this is a trying time to digest everything to make sense of it all, prayers for your dad and support. Honestly, find out how severe and what stage it is, it maybe the last beautiful trip he takes and he will want to give his family the last cherished moments moreso then the alternative. I have been through this with 3x loved ones and sadly this was reality. If the doctor is saying don't go is it due to severity or tests upon tests its all the more reason to go. There are also several other remedies such as portacaths and portable pumps that patients can carry with them and still go on trips ask them about this. If it is terminal end stage there will be nothing medicine will do, unfortunately. I sincerely hope everything works out for the best with a full robust recovery for dad 🙏

CourtShorr

Reaction score
First I know this is a trying time to digest everything to make sense of it all, prayers for your dad and support. Honestly, find out how severe and what stage it is, it maybe the last beautiful trip he takes and he will want to give his family the last cherished moments moreso then the alternative. I have been through this with 3x loved ones and sadly this was reality. If the doctor is saying don't go is it due to severity or tests upon tests its all the more reason to go. There are also several other remedies such as portacaths and portable pumps that patients can carry with them and still go on trips ask them about this. If it is terminal end stage there will be nothing medicine will do, unfortunately. I sincerely hope everything works out for the best with a full robust recovery for dad 🙏
Thank you. His doctor advised him to not fly during Chemo because it can cause a bleed. I will ask about the portacaths. We are so sad that he can't go. Maybe we can work something out.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
To the OP, please keep your father spirts up and positive.
Surround him with love and positive happy family members.
Cancer and chemo treatments are not the end of life. IMHO.

I have been a cancer patient now for over ten (10) years. Think Positive and I Thank God each day I open my yes.
Thank you. We lost my mom when I was a teen, so even thinking about life without my dad feels too horrible to even imagine. I am looking up everything I can do to help him daily. Hopefully we can keep his spirits up and we can get him on this trip!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I don't know anything about the your timeshare system to help but wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you and your family and I hope your father does well with the chemo and recovers. Meanwhile, make sure to take care of yourself.

CourtShorr

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the your timeshare system to help but wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you and your family and I hope your father does well with the chemo and recovers. Meanwhile, make sure to take care of yourself.
Thank you. I do appreciate your thoughts.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just finished chemo and radiation combined, and my cancer had metastasized They can do wonderful things. I have survived three primary cancers, so don’t give up hope. Plan a trip at least a month after he finishes chemo.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just finished chemo and radiation combined, and my cancer had metastasized They can do wonderful things. I have survived three primary cancers, so don’t give up hope. Plan a trip at least a month after he finishes chemo.
To the OP….Now that is a positive post and a positive message. IMHO.

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
To the OP….Now that is a positive post and a positive message. IMHO.

YES!! And looking forward to a wonderful trip is such an incentive!! You're in our thoughts and prayers ~ stay positive!!!