• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! Cruise vs. Timeshare

tamcase

Reaction score
I already have 2 weeks reserved for our 25th anniversary. One week in Kona and one week in Princeville. I have a huge dilemma. A great deal on a cruise came up and I would prefer to do that. My husband and I have never been to Hawaii, this will probably be a first and last for us. I made my exchanges through Interval World. I can add a Guest Certificate for 49.00. I am not really sure how this all works. Can I list the properties for rent and then put the person who rents it on the certificate? I am so lost and only have until tomorrow to make my decision on the cruise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We went to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary and thought it would be a one time
Thing also. we've been back every year since. We just fell in love with Hawaii.:D

There's another thread going that is talking about a cruise to Hawaii and a lot of
Posters said the cruise doesn't give you much time to enjoy Hawaii. A cruise is
A lot about the ship.

I wouldn't do the cruise. I would stick with your original plans.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with Slip. Your original plans will be much more memorable than any cruise. There will be another time to cruise. Specials occur all the time.

But if you insist on the cruise, you seem to have a pretty good grip on how to transfer your weeks to a potential renter. Of course you'll have 2 GC's for $98 on top of what MFs and exchange fees you've already paid. Imo, not a good deal.

Jim

Last edited:

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Agree with what Jim and Jeff said.

Check out this thread:
http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162545

You probably want to skip the cruise.

You WILL NOT likely get enough time on the islands for a once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii.

You have probable two of the best pick to explore for a once only trip.

The Big Island is amazing and so is Kauai.

You are not supposed to rent II weeks.

Keep your weeks on The Big Island and Kauai...

Last edited:

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
Ditto with above. There is so much to see and do on the islands. Skip the cruise. My BIL went on a Hawaii cruise last summer and wished the entire time he could have just stayed on an island.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Another vote against the cruise, especially if you're only going once. We've been to Hawaii 20 times, and still haven't done all the things we wanted to.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
One if by land and two if by sea.........
ONE......take the land, take the land:whoopie:

Jim

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Let's start with your statement about renting an exchange. That's against I.I. rules. If they catch you (and they watch these threads), your membership can be suspended or revoked and, worst of all, your exchanges cancelled leaving you to deal with some very unhappy renters.

You can call interval and cancel your exchanges. You should get replacement weeks for future use.

Now, cruise vs land vacation. I have a different point of view than most on these forums. We are avid timeshare vacationers and avid cruisers. Both have advantages.

If you really don't think you'll ever return to the islands, I'd choose a cruise. Cruising is more of a sampler platter or tasting menu. As mentioned you won't get the full flavor of any one island but you'll get the experience a little of all of them. It's a great way to experience a little of everything.

We have enjoyed our timeshare vacations in Hawaii because we can spend as much time and see as many things (or as few) as we please and do them on our schedule. At this point, I prefer the timeshare vacation in Hawaii rather than cruising but, that's because we've been here and know what we want. If we'd never been to the islands and if a great deal on a cruise came up, we'd have taken the cruise for our first experience of Hawaii.

Of course there's a lot to be said for the cruise experience, the fine dining every night and service you recieve onboard. Having meals taken care of in the price of the cruise is a bonus. Grocery prices on the islands and/or eating out can be cost prohibitive. For instance, a quart of milk cost us $2.49, a pound of frozen shrimp was $26, a 12 pack of Siera Mist was $7.99 (but they had it on sale for $5.99), breakfast cereal was running $6.75 unless you bought what was on sale, A box of ginger snaps was $5.49 and a small tub of Blue Bonnet margarine was $2.49 (I'm looking at my reciept as I'm typing).

Don't forget the cost of a rental car. We got a good deal on a compact for $197 for the week plus one day (taxes and fee's included) but it's not always that way. I've seen complaints of the cost recently as high as $475 for a week. Gas isn't cheap either at $3.89/gallon and, then there are all those pesky speed traps I've seen on our trips. The only ticket I have in the last 8 years was on Kauai where I got caught in a section where the speed went for 35 mph to 25 mph for no apparent reason.

If you like cruising, it's a great deal and you really believe this will be your one and only trip to the islands, I'd go with the cruise. But I'll warn you, in 2009 we thought that would be our one and only Hawaiian vaction. I'm typing this from our unit at Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and this has been our third trip. We're already contemplating when we'll return and which island we'll return too.