• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help!! Bought into New Points Program

Hoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We need help. We tentatively bought into the New Marriott Points Program. We're thoroughly confused. I went for it knowing I have 10 days to cancel. Our situation is this: My wife & I have 3 adult kids (22-29) and we own two Marriott timeshares--DSV II (bought on secondary market a few yrs ago for $6K & Marriott Ocean Pointe bought from Marriott about 8 yrs ago for over 20K--both are gold weeks. The points system seems to be more flexible since we don't necessarily need 2 BR condos each time we travel any more.

We "bought" into the new points program last Friday 6/3/11 when we stayed at Marriott Beach Place Towers--bought 2000 points for about $18.4K +$493 closing costs & enrolled our 2 weeks in the program (additional cost).

Thus we would have 6,900 points total which I guess qualifies us for some sort of Premier Level of ownership (>6,500 points). OK--so what have we bought? Does this make any sense whatsoever? I am almost certain I will cancel the purchase.

Recently I've seen Marriott timeshares go for essentially nothing on eBay (i.e. Platinum DSV II week for 3K). How could it possibly make any sense to pay this much to enter this program?

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancel now. Stick around here and ask more questions. Get yourself knowledgeable about the program and then make a decision. The deal will be there for you next week, next month, next year if you ultimately think it's what you want.

Cobra1950

Reaction score
P. T. Barnum had a saying about that kind of situation if I remember right......

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
P. T. Barnum had a saying about that kind of situation if I remember right......

Please be nice to this poster. You have been pressured by the sales wizards. I agree you should rescind. Read the many postings here. Post questions. We all have some great information to share.

Some people like the DC system without having to but extra points as you did.

Good Lu ck

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
We need help. We tentatively bought into the New Marriott Points Program. We're thoroughly confused. I went for it knowing I have 10 days to cancel. Our situation is this: My wife & I have 3 adult kids (22-29) and we own two Marriott timeshares--DSV II (bought on secondary market a few yrs ago for $6K & Marriott Ocean Pointe bought from Marriott about 8 yrs ago for over 20K--both are gold weeks. The points system seems to be more flexible since we don't necessarily need 2 BR condos each time we travel any more.

We "bought" into the new points program last Friday 6/3/11 when we stayed at Marriott Beach Place Towers--bought 2000 points for about $18.4K +$493 closing costs & enrolled our 2 weeks in the program (additional cost).

Thus we would have 6,900 points total which I guess qualifies us for some sort of Premier Level of ownership (>6,500 points). OK--so what have we bought? Does this make any sense whatsoever? I am almost certain I will cancel the purchase.

Recently I've seen Marriott timeshares go for essentially nothing on eBay (i.e. Platinum DSV II week for 3K). How could it possibly make any sense to pay this much to enter this program?

First of all, you know what you need which is good and DC program is providing you the flexibility that you seem to be looking for.

Now, please do not waste money buying additional DC points. The only thing that you have to do is to enroll your 2 resale weeks in the DC program (one time fee of $1995).

Forget about buying 2000 points to reach 6900 premier status. I am at that status today and frankly I do not see any serious advantage. It is the same difference that being silver and gold to other reward programs.... not worth paying for it!

If in the future you need to "rent" annual points, you can always do so at $0.45-0.60 per point. Read this thread, keep posting your questions here and check the points exchange website:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144052

Last edited:

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Cancel immediately. If it's TS ownership you really want, why own just a bunch of hard to sell way overpriced points? A platinum Manor Club week in Williamsburg just sold on ebay for under $700...7 night stays...and the buying price was less than the annual maintenance for this wonderful resort. Buy where you want to stay and you'll never have to use Interval to trade. This is not an investment..it's prepaid holidays that you can use every year if you pay the maintenance but do not expect to make money when selling it...and you'll lose a ton more if Marriott ever let's you sell the points. Marriott turned the dream into a nightmare for 400,000 of their best customers with the DC plan. Don't waste any time...rescind today.

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning....

I have probably been the TUGgger most supportive of this,but I can't advise the purchase of new points. Just use your legacy points after you enroll

Drawbacks...

Way to expensive....

No way to know what booby traps will be attached regarding usage...

Almost impossible to sell

No guarantee of home resort .... Don't believe the "every resort" is your home resort stuff.. No guarantees of any availability...

I enrolled and use either weeks or points as needed

In summary, I advise enrolling withoutbpurchase of new points

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Good morning....

I have probably been the TUGgger most supportive of this,but I can't advise the purchase of new points. Just use your legacy points after you enroll

Drawbacks...

Way to expensive....

No guarantee of home resort .... Don't believe the "every resort" is your home resort stuff.. No guarantees of any availability...

Well said. I agree 100% with these comments.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

I can appreciate your confusion as someone who went through the presentation just 2 months ago as a resale week owner. I have to agree with the other posters, at least partially. We decided to enroll our resale week for the following reasons:

1. Exchange Fee Savings - Provides an II account with no exchange fees.
2. Flexibility - Depending on where/when we go, may get more use on points.
3. Flexibility - The ability to exchange our resale week for MRPs every 2 years.

On the other hand, we declined to buy any 'additional' points. We have sufficient options for our needs without taking on the risk of owning an intangible whose transferability (even through your will) has been untested. We are more inclined to purchase another cheap resale week or rent points from other DC owners (which we have also done successfully).

If you can cancel just your points purchase, I would. If you must cancel all, I would do that, but consider just enrolling your weeks. :hi:

Last edited:

iamnotshopgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning....

Drawbacks...

Way to expensive....

Well stated. I agree with you do not buy any more points.

bob

Hoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses

Have sent certified letter to Marriott Ownership Resorts, New Owner Administration to effect cancellation of our contract. It just seems that $18,000 plus dollars is way too much for the benefits we would anticipate for enrolling in the MVC Destinations program. I might be open to enrolling my two Marriott weeks (one developer & one aftermarket) in the program (without buying points) at some point in the future.