• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helicopter tours on Maui and Kauai

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this belongs in a different location.......as brand-spanking-new-emptynesters my wife and I will be spending a sort-of* second honeymoon week each in Kauai (WPORV) and Maui (WKORV) in Nov (T'giving week in Maui). The latter week also includes her birthday. I am planning to surprise her with a helicopter tour. Can you guys recommend a good tour company and are there any secrets in getting a great deal on these tours (attending timeshare presentations excepted)? I am thinking of doing this on one of the islands, although I am not opposed to doing it on both islands.

Also, she really likes parasailing, and are there any particularly good websites which give a good deal on parasailing out of Lahaina (behind the Hyatt, usually)

Thanks in advance.

*"sort-of" because when we got married 23+ years ago we were both students, and really had neither the time nor the money for a "real" honeymoon........

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Helicopter tours in Hawaii (and helicopter tours in general) have a poor safety record - we don't do them.

Last edited:

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done helicopter tours on Kauai but not Maui. Sorry but I can't remember the names of the comanies. Just do your research to find out which one is best for you. The tours are very much weather-dependent so they will not go if the weather does not permit. I would recommend reserving your spots at the beginning of your week so that you can be rescheduled in case of bad weather.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Ask the concierge for his input but don't sched through them. On line reserv are usually cheaper even if you count the double or triple SPG AMEX points when sched through the Westin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of Tuggers have concerns over helicopter safety in the islands, but our favorite (we've gone several times) is the Jack Harter "Doors-Off" tour of Kauai in their Hughes 500s. http://www.helicopters-kauai.com/index.html When first timers in our family have joined us in Kauai, they've been blown away (so to speak) by the experience! There are only 4 passengers on the flight, so everyone gets a good seat with a great view. The fresh air is wonderful. I've flown on the bigger helicopters and don't care for them at all. I get very claustrophobic and queasy in the enclosed cabins. The view from the middle two seats in the back definitely isn't as nice as being by a window, even though they say every seat has a great view.

I would never go on a helicopter tour in marginal weather, so I don't ever book ahead.

And congrats on the long-awaited-for honeymoon! Sounds very romantic!

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
Kauai is a beautiful choice to do a flight over because so much of it can only be seen by air. Last March we went with "Wings Over Kauai" and loved it. My husband and I along with our daughter and son-in-law went in the AirVan. Since we had 4 of us, it was just us and the pilot, Josh who was great! This was also great because the 4 of us all got to sit on the right hand side of plane which followed the coast for best views. They play music to fit the scenery which is nice, such as theme from Hawaii Five-O on take off. We had a clear day and it was incredible! The airplane tours appear to have a much better safety record than helicopters. Read their reviews on trip adviser.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Take a look at fixed wing tours, too

There are also fixed wing tours. Wings over Kauai worked well for us on an earlier visit. Much cheaper than helicopter tours...and safer. You don't get to fly up the canyons, though.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
My wife and I went skydiving on Kauai on our honeymoon. Highly recommended once in a lifetime ;)

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went skydiving on Kauai on our honeymoon. Highly recommended once in a lifetime ;)

^^^that being pretty much my problem with it. I am a very adventurous person, but I am with Denise on this one. I can't get over the safety record

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
^^^that being pretty much my problem with it. I am a very adventurous person, but I am with Denise on this one. I can't get over the safety record

I have never met a dissatisfied customer! :rofl:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I did a helicopter tour on Maui years ago. I think that was back before anyone was worried about safety records, or maybe we were just too young and stupid to care. All I can say is I was nauseous throughout the entire flight and didn't enjoy it at all.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
My friend and I did a helicopter tour on Kauai with Blue Hawaiian and are glad we did it. I think they still have the best safety record. I'd do it again, but it's too pricey for more than once.
Check the tourist guides that you can pick up at the airport for a coupon, and compare the price with the website discount.

If you do only one tour, do it on Kauai since that's the only way to see much of the island.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've done both helicopter and fixed wing flights over Kauai

Go fixed wing so you don't come back in a pine box. Helicopters have too many accidents.

Sterling

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
My gosh, reading this thread makes it seem like half the helicopter flights go down in flames!

As for a recommended company, I have heard the best things about Blue Hawaiian. And for what it is worth, many of the best cruise lines use Blue Hawaiian for their helicopter shore excursions.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've done Blue Hawaiian on Kauai and it was a great flight. My daughter just used them on the BigOsland and had a good experience there too.

Between Maui and Kauai, I'd go for Kauai up hands down. The island is more rugged and has more interesting topology to look at from the air.

I don't have any issues with flying in a well maintained helicopter. Blue Hawaiian seems to be a very professional operation. I wouldn't Hinz twice about going again. It was a great trip. Then again, I'm a private pilot and also like to SCUBA dive, which is something many find scary.

taffy19

Reaction score
I know a lot of Tuggers have concerns over helicopter safety in the islands, but our favorite (we've gone several times) is the Jack Harter "Doors-Off" tour of Kauai in their Hughes 500s. http://www.helicopters-kauai.com/index.html When first timers in our family have joined us in Kauai, they've been blown away (so to speak) by the experience! There are only 4 passengers on the flight, so everyone gets a good seat with a great view. The fresh air is wonderful. I've flown on the bigger helicopters and don't care for them at all. I get very claustrophobic and queasy in the enclosed cabins. The view from the middle two seats in the back definitely isn't as nice as being by a window, even though they say every seat has a great view.

I would never go on a helicopter tour in marginal weather, so I don't ever book ahead.

We have taken helicopter tours in all three islands and the last time was also with the Jack Harter "Doors-Off" tour. It was the best helicopter flight experience of all we had done so far and they will not fly if they feel that it isn't safe that day.

http://gohawaii.about.com/od/kauaiair/fr/jack_harter.htm

We also like to book our trips when we are there so we know what the weather is like but it may not always work out during the busy holiday season because the most popular tours fill up very quickly and even for more than one day. We learned that the hard way when we were staying a few days in Waikiki Beach this spring.

i-t6w8QLT-L.jpg

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of Tuggers have concerns over helicopter safety in the islands, but our favorite (we've gone several times) is the Jack Harter "Doors-Off" tour of Kauai in their Hughes 500s. http://www.helicopters-kauai.com/index.html

Agreed, and don't be afraid of "Doors-Off." You're entirely secure in your seat and there's no wind blowing on you (unless you lean out). It's just a much better view.

Kauai is more scenic and also more inaccessible than Maui, so that would be the better choice. [And I think one helicopter tour is enough....]

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
I have done a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour on the Big Island from Hilo, flying over the volcanoes. I LOVE flying, but like Denise M, I also know of lots of terrible helicopter accidents in Hawaii over the years, so I said an extra prayer before that flight. ;) I sat next to an executive on a flight a couple of years back whose dad was an exec with Dole so he was raised in Hawaii. He told me he would never take a heli tour. Everyone has to make their own hopefully informed decision on what's right for them.

DCL used Sunshine Helicopters for their shore excursions the few times they have sailed to Hawaii.

What most folks don't realize (and I'm no expert, but my aerospace engineer son is) is that with the mountains and valleys of Hawaii, there are many, many microclimates and updrafts and visibility changes very quickly. That is usually where the problems have arisen. If I ever want to do an aerial tour again, I would likely opt for Wings over Kauai and not a helicopter.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We also did a helicopter ride on the BI with Blue Hawaiian. I was willing to take the risk as I imagine that it is safer than my drive to work. We were hoping to see the lava flows but missed the good viewing by a few days. It wasn't as scary as I expected. I would do it on Kauai in a heartbeat.

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I think it's going to be in Kauai, if we do it. I will certainly investigate the options, including fixed-wing.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that there are those that always have to jump in to speak of the safety of helicopters when that was not your question. I would have to trust that anyone considering this activity has looked into these factors, thus asking for recommendations.
I can offer my opinion as to which would be the better location for a flight. It's been a while, but we did helicopter tours over Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island as well as a fixed wing over Kauai. I liked Maui the least because the sights were not as different as those seen from the other two islands. For Kauai, I enjoyed the helicopter more than the fixed wing, smoother ride, better sights and visibility from the aircraft. I would recommend flying over Kauai rather than Maui because there is so much of Kauai that can only be seen by air. The Big Island flight was just as good if not better if that can also be a consideration for you. Seeing the active lava flow is incredible.
We flew with Island Helicopters and Wings Over Kauai over Kauai (fixed wing). Unfortunately, I cannot locate the names of the outfits we used on the other two islands.
Since my first helicopter flight in 2003, I have been hooked and have done several other flights in various locales. I would definitely do another flight if I returned to the islands. Enjoy your second honeymoon!

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
While I agree with timeshare junkie on one hand, a forum is for informing, so no harm intended in giving additional information while answering a question IMHO.

Zsn, as others have said, generally the best prices are found on individual companies' websites when purchased in advance. If you are a Costco member, there is a discount gift card for a helicopter tour, but on the website it is only for the island of Maui:

http://www.costco.com/hawaii-tickets.html

It is possible that the individual island's Costco will have additional gift cards. You might go onto a competitor travel forum for the particular island you are most interested in and ask what gift cards that Costco might have. And I want to add my congrats on your anniversary as well. :clap:

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Airplanes can't fly safely under about 80 mph, can't turn on a spot and can't fly in canyons to see waterfalls up close. There is some risk but driving to princeville in the rain is much more dangerous. We did the no door helicopter where everyone has a great view. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should add that one of our helicopter tours was free. We went to the Marriott Kauai "Welcome/Island Orientation" breakfast, where vendors come in to talk about different activities. We won a 2-for-1 helicopter tour in the drawing. They also had Na Pali Coast cruises, zip line trips, horseback treks, and other 2-for-1 prizes. WPORV has an orientation breakfast, too. We were disappointed we didn't win another helicopter trip, or a Na Pali Coast cruise, but we DID win a full day in the cabana of our choice at WPORV - which was very nice! I'd recommend going to the orientation talk in WPORV for the information. It's interesting, doesn't take too long, and you might get lucky! (I've decided if I ever buy a lottery ticket, it will have to be on Kauai, because that's the only place I've ever won anything.)

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I think it's going to be in Kauai, if we do it. I will certainly investigate the options, including fixed-wing.

The best tour is out of Maui and take the tour that goes along the north shore of Molikai. It has some of the most spectacular views of the mountains rising straight up out of the ocean. They will fly up into a valley to see water falls. Maybe consider a fix wing tour on Kauai around the island and helicopter tour out of Maui.

Agree with the above "Don't book more than one or two days in advance to ensure the weather is good."