• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heartbroken golfer John Rahm is EJECTED from the Memorial Tournament with a SIX shot lead after testing positive for COVID

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
From what I heard, everyone he had contact with will be subject
to contact tracing, and they will be required to be tested to play.

In the end, Cantlay beat Morikawa by one stroke in the playoff.
But IMO, their play showed that they woulda been runners-up.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
It showed me that a professional golfer can go out and play the best round of his life all the while stricken with a highly deadly disease.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
It showed me that a professional golfer can go out and play the best round of his life all the while stricken with a highly deadly disease.
…and it takes multiple tests to discover this disease .

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

He's definitely one of the lucky stricken with it, that's for sure, when compared with the professional athletes who lost an entire season to it, some of whom have no idea when or even if their related heart ailments will subside enough for them to be cleared to play again. Or, compare this guy to the thousands of otherwise-healthy "long-haulers" who weren't ever in the same superb physical shape as professional athletes but didn't have any pre-existing conditions, who are still suffering various ailments with no guarantee of total recovery. Or, you know, if you want to be really blasé about it, maybe compare him to the otherwise-healthy people who DIED from it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind the minuscule risk. Had he gotten the FREE shot a couple weeks ago, he likely would be pretty flush this week instead of the butt of ridicule.

He made the choice.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never mind the minuscule risk. Had he gotten the FREE shot a couple weeks ago, he likely would be pretty flush this week instead of the butt of ridicule.

He made the choice.
The butt of ridicule , as far as I'm concerned, is the PGA.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
maybe an inside job to get more people vaccinated

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I felt sorrier for Dustin Johnson when he was disqualified for grounding his club in an area later deemed a bunker. This was years ago and people were standing in the area while he took his shot.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
He really has handled it as graciously as anyone possibly could. As far as I know he hasn't tried to make excuses or point blame to anyone. My first thought was why in the world wouldn't he be vaccinated (maybe he has a good reason not be be, I've not heard any). Yup, there are consequences to his actions (or in-actions), let's just hope it is only dropping out of the golf tournament and he didn't spread his covid to anyone else. It seems like the worse case scenario as far as how this pandemic has played out - someone out amongst the public that is asymptomatic. Yup, on the top of his game, not a bit sick, and yet possibly spreading a deadly disease? Seems like the PGA rules protected all about as much as we could hope.

I thought it was terrible the way he was told, coming off the course, all those cameras.

He couldn't have summarized/handled it better: Thankful his family is okay, thanking his fans for their support, and said he was looking forward to watching the showdown.

Maybe we'll see him on one of those 'I got vaccinated commercials'? Maybe someone will pay him 1.5M to do it?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like the worse case scenario as far as how this pandemic has played out - someone out amongst the public that is asymptomatic. Yup, on the top of his game, not a bit sick, and yet possibly spreading a deadly disease? Seems like the PGA rules protected all about as much as we could hope.
If he is a walking disease vector and potentially dangerous to the public at large , why would the PGA allow him to even play while awaiting test results?

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
He's definitely one of the lucky stricken with it, that's for sure, when compared with the professional athletes who lost an entire season to it, some of whom have no idea when or even if their related heart ailments will subside enough for them to be cleared to play again. Or, compare this guy to the thousands of otherwise-healthy "long-haulers" who weren't ever in the same superb physical shape as professional athletes but didn't have any pre-existing conditions, who are still suffering various ailments with no guarantee of total recovery. Or, you know, if you want to be really blasé about it, maybe compare him to the otherwise-healthy people who DIED from it.

I think it depends on what you choose to focus on. Rahm is young and I would guess healthy so his decision to vax or not vax is based on his own circumstances and knowledge of risk. Perhaps he was willing to trust his young healthy immune system. We all know what the survival rate is for young and healthy. If he is indeed infected then he'll have natural immunity and will join the herd with the other naturally immune along with the chipped folks :) .

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought it was terrible the way he was told, coming off the course, all those cameras.

It appeared a bit too staged, didn't it? Rahm is known as a hothead so I would have expected him to show anger and denial instead of "heartbroken" as the subject line states.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it depends on what you choose to focus on. Rahm is young and I would guess healthy so his decision to vax or not vax is based on his own circumstances and knowledge of risk. Perhaps he was willing to trust his young healthy immune system. We all know what the survival rate is for young and healthy. If he is indeed infected then he'll have natural immunity and will join the herd with the other naturally immune along with the chipped folks :) .

Which is all well and good, every single person should be able to decide for her/himself whether or not to wear a mask, whether or not to socially-distance, whether or not to be vaccinated, etc. But IMO it's just damned selfish to make those decisions for yourself and then choose to risk the safety and well-being of others. The impact of asymptomatic spread is still being evaluated, will still be evaluated for years to come as the results of this pandemic are tracked for decades. Also still being evaluated is whether any natural immunity extends to the next-and-next-generations of the virus.

Since the beginning I haven't ever understood the cries of "freedom" in opposition to any established science-based actions that might have had some success against the spread. I understand even less why the people who have refused to undertake those actions think that they are the only ones entitled to that "freedom." Instead of ensuring that they weren't spreading the virus, they shamed the people in the highest-risk categories as if we were all still living in the time of leprosy with the afflicted hidden away from society so that we didn't have to think about them. Some in the high-risk categories are health care workers, food service workers, teachers, transportation workers, etc who couldn't hide away, yet the so-called "freedom" contingent gave no consideration at all to the fact that these people had no choice but to put themselves at risk while performing their jobs, gave no consideration at all to the fact that their own actions impacted those at highest risk. It is simply incomprehensible to me that from the outset, and continuing to this day with the virus still circulating and the scientific community still in evaluation mode, people with absolutely zero experience in the field demanded their "freedom" at the expense of others. I honestly will never understand that mentality, will never get over being just flat-out sad at how some in our society responded to COVID-19.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Which is all well and good, every single person should be able to decide for her/himself whether or not to wear a mask, whether or not to socially-distance, whether or not to be vaccinated, etc. But IMO it's just damned selfish to make those decisions for yourself and then choose to risk the safety and well-being of others. The impact of asymptomatic spread is still being evaluated, will still be evaluated for years to come as the results of this pandemic are tracked for decades. Also still being evaluated is whether any natural immunity extends to the next-and-next-generations of the virus.

Since the beginning I haven't ever understood the cries of "freedom" in opposition to any established science-based actions that might have had some success against the spread. I understand even less why the people who have refused to undertake those actions think that they are the only ones entitled to that "freedom." Instead of ensuring that they weren't spreading the virus, they shamed the people in the highest-risk categories as if we were all still living in the time of leprosy with the afflicted hidden away from society so that we didn't have to think about them. Some in the high-risk categories are health care workers, food service workers, teachers, transportation workers, etc who couldn't hide away, yet the so-called "freedom" contingent gave no consideration at all to the fact that these people had no choice but to put themselves at risk while performing their jobs, gave no consideration at all to the fact that their own actions impacted those at highest risk. It is simply incomprehensible to me that from the outset, and continuing to this day with the virus still circulating and the scientific community still in evaluation mode, people with absolutely zero experience in the field demanded their "freedom" at the expense of others. I honestly will never understand that mentality, will never get over being just flat-out sad at how some in our society responded to COVID-19.

I agree - it's very difficult to understand the anti-science mentality

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why should people be able to decide if they wear a mask or not in public? No mask then stay at home. What if more precautions were taken last March? Maybe this all would be a distant memory.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why should people be able to decide if they wear a mask or not in public? No mask then stay at home.

I couldn't agree more! But no, immediately it all was politicized via the irrational "our freedom is at stake!" claptrap so the minute any reasonable mitigation efforts were considered, The Entitled pushed back to the furthest extreme until all sense and sensibility disappeared.

... What if more precautions were taken last March? Maybe this all would be a distant memory.

<sigh> If only.

Last edited: