• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading to Kauai in June...beach status?

KauaiMark

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Marriott Beach Club
The beach at the north end (can't remember the name (Kea'i?)was closed for a few years after storm damage. Heard rumors that the beach is now open but only for locals.

Update? --- Mark Perry

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Ke’e, it is open but you have to get a parking pass before you can go up there.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.

leoprdsoul

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (Hawaii)
Ke’e, it is open but you have to get a parking pass before you can go up there.

There are also shuttles from the Foodland shopping center in Princeville, which is a great idea! The number of cars going up there and also parking all over the place before the mudslides was just way too much.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if a parking pass is needed for Tunnels Beach?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, but the website says that Ha'ena/Tunnels are currently closed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are there any tricks to booking the shuttle? Like do you need to make the reservation at midnight Hawaii time at exactly 30 days out? I am seeing zero availability for the days I checked, but maybe it books solid every day.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK - either it's easier to get a parking pass, than a shuttle ticket, or the shuttle tickets sell out first, or shuttle purchase is not working.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if a parking pass is needed for Tunnels Beach?

Yes, but the website says that Ha'ena/Tunnels are currently closed.

When we were there in August Ha'ena and Tunnels were open - Ke'e is what has restricted access.

It is confusing, because Ha'ena Beach Park, where there is a parking lot and lifeguard towers, next to the dry cave, (see below) is open as before. But Ha'ena State Park (where Ke'e Beach and the Kalalau trailhead is located) is restricted.

Since Tunnels is not part of Ha'ena State Park, and is actually east of Ha'ena Beach Park, it is open. Of course the challenge is finding parking - now there's even more competition for parking there.

What is restricted is the end of the road. In the second photo below, that parking lot is now the end of the road. That is the former Ke'e beach overflow parking lot, which typically had two-foot deep potholes you needed to avoid. Now, you can't get past that point, and you can't park in the parking lot unless you have a permit. But everything up to (east of) that point is open, including Ha'ena Beach Park, Tunnels, and Kepuhi.

Last August we couldn't find parking at Ha'ena Beach Park, and, as usual parking right at the access to Tunnels was impossible, We ended up parking on a side street near the YMCA Camp between Kepuhi and Tunnels, and then walked back toward Tunnels.

Ha'ena Beach Park. No change.
upload_2019-12-16_1-25-17.png

Ha'ena (Ke'e) Beach parking lot - now the end of the road
upload_2019-12-16_1-29-56.png

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm still confused - If I have a permit, can I park in the Ke'e over flow parking lot and walk to Ke'e? Are the beach and water closed at Ke'e?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm still confused - If I have a permit, can I park in the Ke'e over flow parking lot and walk to Ke'e? Are the beach and water closed at Ke'e?
The permit gets you into the parking lot shown in my second photo. From there you would walk to Ke'e. Apparently, a second permit is now needed if you want to hike the Kalalau Trail, even if you are only doing that as a day trip.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Remember is you want to stay the whole day you will need more than one permit. Also if you want to Hike to the water fall this will take 6 to 8 hours round trip.