• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading to AZ for a Business Trip - Staying at Marriott's Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
When I go to our plant in AZ, its cheaper for my company for me to find a getaway and stay at a TS, I will be staying at the Marriott's Canyon Villas at Desert Ridge in Phoenix, AZ. I will be staying in a studio, last time I stayed here I stayed in a 2 bedroom unit... Last time, I flew in and had to get right to work that day, this time, I'm flying in this Friday and enjoying the weekend in AZ prior to the start of my work week, plus my going on Friday, I saved my company $198 on airfare.

Can the AZ folks recommend some good places to check out close to this resort, I want to explore Saturday and Sunday. I will also head up to Scottsdale one of the days, to enjoy True Food Kitchen in the Scottsdale Quarter. It's one of my favorite restaurants....

The rest of the week I will eat close to the Marriott's Canyon Villas.

Any and all suggestions are welcome....thanks

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
There are two art shows in the area at this time of year. One by 111 and Hayden and the other one off of Scottsdale Road. The concierge can give you free tickets. Both have on-site restaurants. The Celebration of Fine Art show also has wine and beer in addition to gourmet food. Many of the booths have the artists on site and working. It is a lot of fun looking at the art and talking with the artists.

There is wine tasting down in downtown Scottsdale. Arizona Stronghold is my favorite.

On Thursday from 4-6 there is a Cowboy Singer, Marshal Pioneer Pepper, down by the grill. It is always a bunch of fun. He is a great entertainer. When we were there last month, I noticed that the various resort activities would draw 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 (wine tasting), but the cowboy singer drew about 60 people.

Hiking? Pinot Peak park. Good and well maintained trail.

Chinese food? Jade Palace by Pinnacle Peak road. Upscale but affordable.

Check with the concierge for a list of happy hours and recommended restaurants.

Canyon Villas is a great place and the employees always make me feel like it is my home-away-from-home.

Museum of Music - a mile or two south of Desert Ridge. Plan on 4 to 6 hours to see everything

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are two art shows in the area at this time of year. One by 111 and Hayden and the other one off of Scottsdale Road. The concierge can give you free tickets. Both have on-site restaurants. The Celebration of Fine Art show also has wine and beer in addition to gourmet food. Many of the booths have the artists on site and working. It is a lot of fun looking at the art and talking with the artists.

There is wine tasting down in downtown Scottsdale. Arizona Stronghold is my favorite.

On Thursday from 4-6 there is a Cowboy Singer, Marshal Pioneer Pepper, down by the grill. It is always a bunch of fun. He is a great entertainer. When we were there last month, I noticed that the various resort activities would draw 3, 4, 5, 6, 12 (wine tasting), but the cowboy singer drew about 60 people.

Hiking? Pinot Peak park. Good and well maintained trail.

Chinese food? Jade Palace by Pinnacle Peak road. Upscale but affordable.

Check with the concierge for a list of happy hours and recommended restaurants.

Canyon Villas is a great place and the employees always make me feel like it is my home-away-from-home.

Museum of Music - a mile or two south of Desert Ridge. Plan on 4 to 6 hours to see everything
@BJRSanDiego , this will be my 2nd time staying at this resort for work. Last time every day was taken up with meetings and then business dinners, so I had very little time to myself, this time I built in some time for myself.

vikingsholm

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Barrio Queen in the Desert Ridge mall for Mexican food (also has a good and lively branch in the plaza area near the canal in Scottsdale), and Cafe Tryst for breakfast or brunch across North Tatum Blvd from Desert Ridge mall.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Glad you’ll be able to work in a bit of pleasure with a work trip. I did a similar thing in January 2020 at WKV - added three days to a conference and it was still $400 cheaper for the week.

It’s a bit of a drive, but if you like BBQ I would recommend Little Miss BBQ - always outstanding but goes quickly so you’d have to like dining a bit earlier.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second Barrio Queen. DH and I just returned from a week at MCV. We also found a great Italian restaurant, Sophia’s Kitchen. It’s about 15 minutes away though.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
It sounds like you will have a car...I'd head up to Cave Creek. It's got a fun vibe to poke in & out of shops and get a bite to eat. Also, Taliesin West. Is there anything particular you are interested in? A day in Old Town Scottsdale is lovely, especially if you check out the Museum of the West.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds like you will have a car...I'd head up to Cave Creek. It's got a fun vibe to poke in & out of shops and get a bite to eat. Also, Taliesin West. Is there anything particular you are interested in? A day in Old Town Scottsdale is lovely, especially if you check out the Museum of the West.
I love AZ and since I will be retiring in a few years, I probably will only go back to this plant one or two more time before I retire, so I really want to enjoy my time here this time. I usually go to Scottsdale when I'm here, I like the idea of exploring Cave Creek

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Barrio Queen in the Desert Ridge mall for Mexican food (also has a good and lively branch in the plaza area near the canal in Scottsdale), and Cafe Tryst for breakfast or brunch across North Tatum Blvd from Desert Ridge mall.
@vikingsholm , I will try and stop at Barrio Queen, sounds really good and since so many are recommending it I'm going to ensure I make it there for dinner one day

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
@vikingsholm , I will try and stop at Barrio Queen, sounds really good and since so many are recommending it I'm going to ensure I make it there for dinner one day
So sorry the weather has been a bit nuts! I've been offline for 2 days due to the winds...

My older son was here last April. We biked the canals in Scottsdale and stopped at Barrio Queen for lunch. His tacos were outstanding and I loved the Agua Fresca - it was a hot, sunny day. I just saw that we are expected to have more chilly, wet weather through March, but we will take it!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So sorry the weather has been a bit nuts! I've been offline for 2 days due to the winds...

My older son was here last April. We biked the canals in Scottsdale and stopped at Barrio Queen for lunch. His tacos were outstanding and I loved the Agua Fresca - it was a hot, sunny day. I just saw that we are expected to have more chilly, wet weather through March, but we will take it!
@Snazzylass, I totally understand, MI got hit hard with an ICE storm and 750K of Michigander's are without power, we stayed the first night in our condo but with no heat last night we slept at my MIL's condo and I came back here this am to pack up for my trip and its cold, sill not power and 58 in the condo. DTE is telling us via their text system that power will not be restored till Monday. I'm lucky that I'm heading to Pheonix today but feel bad for the hubby and son who lives with us, they will have to get a hotel tonight...ugh

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Snazzylass, I'm going to go eat breakfast at Cafe Tryst this morning and then head to Cave Creek.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
@Snazzylass, I totally understand, MI got hit hard with an ICE storm and 750K of Michigander's are without power, we stayed the first night in our condo but with no heat last night we slept at my MIL's condo and I came back here this am to pack up for my trip and its cold, sill not power and 58 in the condo. DTE is telling us via their text system that power will not be restored till Monday. I'm lucky that I'm heading to Pheonix today but feel bad for the hubby and son who lives with us, they will have to get a hotel tonight...ugh
Girl, it made the NYTimes this am - 4th day for Michiganers w/o power :( Ugh!! That's terrible!

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Girl, it made the NYTimes this am - 4th day for Michiganers w/o power :( Ugh!! That's terrible!
I'm so glad I'm in Phoenix but bummed that its been cold that last few days. Today late in the day it got up to high 60"s.

Our condo is still out of power and my husband said that we had another ice storm last night, not as bad as the one last Wednesday but this will further delay getting power back on...ugh

I love the Tryst Cafe, got GC's at Costco and using them at this cafe each day for breakfast