• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Headed to Westin Kaanapali

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that most new COVID cases on Maui are in a housing project in Kahului. Most COVID cases here are from community spread, not tourists bringing it in. They are mostly in the Kahului/Wailuku area. The last COVID death was reported in October, 2020. Out of the 31 ICU beds available, only 2 are being used by COVID patients, according to a report on MauiNow. It is a lot safer here than in many mainland areas.

HHDutchy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Keirland
Westin Aventuras
We will be arriving on Tuesday and just upgraded to an oceanfront unit. Stoked!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We will be arriving on Tuesday and just upgraded to an oceanfront unit. Stoked!
Nice! Did you find it online and cancel and rebook, or did you call? Curious if they charged you a $50 cancellation fee.

HHDutchy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Keirland
Westin Aventuras
Nice! Did you find it online and cancel and rebook, or did you call? Curious if they charged you a $50 cancellation fee.

i called and rebooked - no fee.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
i called and rebooked - no fee.
That's great news! I wonder if that is standard, or if they waived the fee for you. Enjoy your OF!

HHDutchy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Keirland
Westin Aventuras
That's great news! I wonder if that is standard, or if they waived the fee for you. Enjoy your OF!

Taking our C19 tests tomorrow. Praying for 5 negative tests. My wife and I had COVID right before Christmas. There is a risk of dead virus particles showing up in the test and triggering a positive, because the virus can take months to fully shed from the body for some people. We are hopeful.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the upgrade fee at WKORV and when is it made available? I have Ocean View booked in the Fall. TIA.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
What is the upgrade fee at WKORV and when is it made available? I have Ocean View booked in the Fall. TIA.
If you are using Star Options (SO), just book through the website. The units that are available will note if they are OF; they also require more SO than other views. We just booked OF for Sept.

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a difficult time deciding whether or not to go forward with my trip in March or re-trade now to preserve my trading power. I'm currently booked into first week at the Westin North and second at the Marriott. We have friends who will be at the Westin that first week as well. I'm considering re-trading now and keeping my options open to pick up a last minute getaway or using a unit I have that is restricted to the 59 day trade window to pick up an exchange in Maui if we decide to move forward with the trip, the main concern I have about that is if we are not able to exchange into the Westin, will we be able to visit and hang out with our friends there or are they restricting access to only registered guests (they will not have ability to add us to their reservation - too many people already in unit). Any insight on this would be appreciated!

HHDutchy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Keirland
Westin Aventuras
Taking our C19 tests tomorrow. Praying for 5 negative tests. My wife and I had COVID right before Christmas. There is a risk of dead virus particles showing up in the test and triggering a positive, because the virus can take months to fully shed from the body for some people. We are hopeful.

All tests came back negative! Headed out on Tuesday.

aland0524

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club - Napili Tower; Marriott Waiohai Beach Club; Westin Nanea
All tests came back negative! Headed out on Tuesday.
Congratulations! Just curious...who did you test with and how quickly did you get your results? We are leaving end of this month for Maui and will be testing with Vault Health.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
twise625, I am at WKOR-N and there is no restriction for anyone to come on site. You should be able to visit with your friends. Lots of non-guests walk the boardwalk. Other than wearing masks when being around people, it isn't much different than a non-COVID stay.

Of course, who knows how things will be in March. I waited to make my reservations until I was sure I was coming. Fortunately, there's been plenty of availability for Staroption reservations.

HHDutchy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Keirland
Westin Aventuras
Congratulations! Just curious...who did you test with and how quickly did you get your results? We are leaving end of this month for Maui and will be testing with Vault Health.

We tested through Carbon Health. Two things to note:
1. Tested at 2pm yesterday and received results at 4am today
2. Their nasal swab was painless and smooth compared to other COVID test I’ve had done with the nasal scraper.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We are arriving on Sunday. Can anyone who is on the ground (GregT? HenryM?) or anyone who has been there recently say anything about grocery delivery?

Normally we just buy our own groceries on our way to the Westin, but we are arriving a little later than usual and apparently the resort will accept Safeway/Instacart/local (?) stores deliveries. Has anyone has tried deliveries at all? Would be great to have some basic supplies there but curious about any experience with that.

Any help appreciated. Can't wait to get there!

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Having a difficult time deciding whether or not to go forward with my trip in March or re-trade now to preserve my trading power. I'm currently booked into first week at the Westin North and second at the Marriott. We have friends who will be at the Westin that first week as well. I'm considering re-trading now and keeping my options open to pick up a last minute getaway or using a unit I have that is restricted to the 59 day trade window to pick up an exchange in Maui if we decide to move forward with the trip, the main concern I have about that is if we are not able to exchange into the Westin, will we be able to visit and hang out with our friends there or are they restricting access to only registered guests (they will not have ability to add us to their reservation - too many people already in unit). Any insight on this would be appreciated!
My recommendation is to be like Nike, and just do it (as in, go). I realize it's easier said than done, especially considering the uncertainty and situation. Presuming there's 5 or less and you follow state and CDC guidelines, you'll be able to spend time with your friends. You could even try to get loungers at the pool that are next to each other (they should be properly distanced).

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is to be like Nike, and just do it (as in, go). I realize it's easier said than done, especially considering the uncertainty and situation. Presuming there's 5 or less and you follow state and CDC guidelines, you'll be able to spend time with your friends. You could even try to get loungers at the pool that are next to each other (they should be properly distanced).
Thanks for this, I had not heard about the 5 person restriction - we were planning a group between 6-8 if our other friends come as well. I think this settles it for me. I'll go ahead and use my E*Plus to retrade, keep my Southwest flight reservations and if restrictions ease, I'll look to pick up a last minute getaway, exchange or rental.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
We are arriving on Sunday. Can anyone who is on the ground (GregT? HenryM?) or anyone who has been there recently say anything about grocery delivery?

Normally we just buy our own groceries on our way to the Westin, but we are arriving a little later than usual and apparently the resort will accept Safeway/Instacart/local (?) stores deliveries. Has anyone has tried deliveries at all? Would be great to have some basic supplies there but curious about any experience with that.

I haven't had any grocery deliveries as we stopped at Safeway en route to the property. I will see if I can find out for you and will post. Travel safely!

Separately, it's the time of year when you can see the Southern Cross. I posted about it in the HGVC board (because that's where I first saw the Southern Cross in 2016, when at the Big Island) -- we are in Building 3 and you can see it directly south, just to the left of the adjacent property (Royal Lahaina?). You can see it clearly at 5:30am from our balcony (5th floor) -- it's still spectacular!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never had groceries delivered here or anywhere else. We arrived in time to do our normal Costco run when we got here and have gone to various supermarkets to replenish supplies. The most we've ever done is some curbside pickup at home. Sorry!

I'd call the resort concierge and ask about details. The main number is (808) 667-3200‬.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to you both. I am sure I can get something to work and apparently the Whole Foods near OGG will take an order ahead and then bring it to your car. Normally we just do the Costco run too but we will just want to get there this time.

GregT thanks for tip about the Southern Cross. I will be working from there so with the time shift I will be up at 5:30!

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am working from here too, and start around 5:00. I'll check out the Southern Cross!

LJT

TUG Member
Reaction score

We used Instacart for grocery delivery when we were there in February (pre-COVID). It worked great. Just be prepared for a window of delivery time and be patient. We love Instacart and use them for all our condo visits. The shopper will text if an item we requested is out of stock and will offer alternatives. They have all been very nice. We just let the resort know we are expecting a delivery and we are called when they arrive. The groceries are given to the bell person to bring up.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We used Instacart for grocery delivery when we were there in February (pre-COVID). It worked great. Just be prepared for a window of delivery time and be patient. We love Instacart and use them for all our condo visits. The shopper will text if an item we requested is out of stock and will offer alternatives. They have all been very nice. We just let the resort know we are expecting a delivery and we are called when they arrive. The groceries are given to the bell person to bring up.

Really helpful to know LJT. The Westin said they would accept a delivery on our day of arrival and the bell desk will hold it for us if it comes before we do so will report on how that goes.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
I just received this from United as we are scheduled on them in two weeks. We already have tests scheduled but curious if anyone has tried and succeeded with at home mail in tests for travel?

We’re making your upcoming travel to Hawaii even easier. To offer you peace of mind and help you meet the testing requirements for entry, you now have the option to take a convenient at-home COVID-19 test before your trip.

Through our trusted partnership with ADL Health, you have the option to purchase an at-home RT-PCR COVID-19 test for $119. The test should be taken 72 hours prior to departure to comply with Hawaii’s requirements, and mailed back on the same day to ensure you get your results in plenty of time for your departure. After mailing in your test, you will receive your results within 24-48 hours.​

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really helpful to know LJT. The Westin said they would accept a delivery on our day of arrival and the bell desk will hold it for us if it comes before we do so will report on how that goes.

Ours may have been an anomaly, but delivery did not go well. We put in the order to be delivered 3-5 pm and en route to the Westin our shopper called saying several of the items were unavailable but he could make much higher priced substitutions. While figuring out what we wanted to do they cancelled our order, we got out of cell range and just decided to stop at the Safeway. When we got there it turned out that all the "unavailable" items were right there.