• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Headed to Vidanta-NV .

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
I would be shocked to learn that they cut off RCI & II in favor of SFX and the other unnamed exchange, which could be Third Home, Elite Alliance, or ICE, all of which they have varying relationships with. That would cut off major sales prospect streams that SFX can't fulfill as well as methods they use to manage low season occupancy. Additionally, they provided memberships to many owners in the various exchanges and would have to deal with customer relations, which is a loser order problem. They might shift where they do bulk deposits of higher tier units, favoring the higher cost exchanges (Third Home & Elite Alliance), but I would be very surprised if they completely stopped working with the others - they never really made any bulk deposits above the Grand Luxxe suite level with SFX anyway and have already shifted much of the higher ones out of Registry for bulk deposits.

If they shift more towards the expensive exchanges, they will probably have to reevaluate it in the not too distant future because there are only so many people willing to exchange a week that cost them ~$2.5k for a $1k+ fee, then pay a $42/day Resort fee on top of that. They may want to avoid having the lower cost option available to exchange there, but they will have to deal with the hotel side of the business needing heads in beds to stay afloat.
Yes that's what I was thinking. RCI probably brings in more buyers than any other exchange co. I don't know what the sales guy's angle with that was...maybe to make me afraid to refuse his great deal?

rpennisi

Reaction score
But they have closed Costa Arena and are tearing it down along with digging up the MP pool on the beach.
We left MP NV on January 11th and the MP pool was intact (unchanged since they took a piece of it away years ago in building the Punta and GL pools). Do you mean that they are currently digging up the MP pool, or that you were told they would at your presentation?

Zinjanthropus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Myan Palace, Orange lake Country Club
We left MP NV on January 11th and the MP pool was intact (unchanged since they took a piece of it away years ago in building the Punta and GL pools). Do you mean that they are currently digging up the MP pool, or that you were told they would at your presentation?
We were there from the 11th to the 18th ( maybe we saw you at the airport) and the MP pool was still there but they are building the cable lift. they had at least four towers up for that.

StructureGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta
I believe they are tearing down Costa Arena to install the NV version of the Beach Club and Salum which is being called Amasol

rpennisi

Reaction score
We were there from the 11th to the 18th ( maybe we saw you at the airport) and the MP pool was still there but they are building the cable lift. they had at least four towers up for that.
The cable car construction I saw was over in the GB pool area. We left PV airport on AA to Dallas, so we probably crossed paths. :)
We had a 2:30 PM flight, and I was amazed how short the lines were then.

viking221

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
marco club and resort grand mayan nuevo
How did it go?
Did you survive the onslaught? What were they pushing. How pushy were they?
My wife and I just got back from 12th to 19th. we have owned one bedroom GM Nuevo for 12 years, upgraded from Mayan Palace. did presentation to "learn about upgrades to property" last Friday. 5 hours. finally said we are happy with our one bedroom and kitchen. did not buy but they threw a lot at us, relentless, super aggressive so remember that, you will be twisted and twisted!!. We are not upgrading into Grand bliss or Lux, don't need it. The big thing is they make you feel YOU NEED IT!! Maintenance fee for us at GM is $1,200 but only payable when we go, not every automatic every year. That's enough for us to pay for a week, we don't need upgrade. we always go to walmart and get "stuff". Even take home souvenirs. but snacks and sandwich food. Not much because love the restaurants on property, the sports bar Cantina is great, so is the lazy river restaurant Samba. We also did Gong Asian plus lots of pool snacks. Two of us bill was $250 US for a week of eating and drinking. We alway left a dollar tip for our pool servers too. Plus 2$ a day housekeeping lady. We did have pool and ocean view but we didn't care. each unit has private pool on the balcony, one bedroom, two tv's, living room and kitchenette. don't care about the view at all. been going every other year for a long time. I will not upgrade, no reason to add to my MF each time we go. We do taxi when we go out. Eddies behind Sea Garden is nice beach walk but rest is taxi. If you do Sea Garden or Mayan Palace, you cannot use the lazy river and the GM pools and that's not good. SG and MP are not anything special, you really want GM, or at Least MP. But NOT THE SEA GARDEN, it's too far from restaurants and Plaza. Oh, on top floor of Plaza (market place) the deck is a cheap taco place. sit up there and have a finger food and enjoy the view. not many know about this little stand up there. And if you like chocolate, the bottom floor of the tree has sooo much. and the pastries are to die for. Can you imagine chocolate high heel shoes, it's all there. In the room don't use the water bottles and coffee or you will get charged, expensive. go to walmart and buy water if you must. But filled up out our travel mugs with ice and water from the room. THE WATER IS SAFE, don't fall for that crap about bad water. Vidanta (the name of the resort ) has the top of the line water filtration, probably better than most US cities. So loose that fear of the water, it's a fable. Take good walking shoes and enjoy the 4miles of wooden walkways and all the night time colored lights, The Sactuary is amazing amazing, free entertainment. Go to Google and type in Vidanta Sactuary, you'll see. Oh by the way for you Bachelor and Bachelor in Paradise fans from TV, Vidanta resort in Nuevo is where they go on their "date" and the entire boys and girls and staff stay at this resort. We love it, cost about $800 dollars for us to fly from Madison Wisconsin, we just got back January 19th 2020. We won't upgrade as the GM is perfect. We taxi downtown twice at dusk to walk around and eat and shop. I think cost is about 15$ for two of us, Peso's were 18 to one dollar so that is fantastic. Doreen got about 75$ at the GM desk and we worked it so we had to get more but didn't end up with some at the end. it's always easy to pay for a drink or "stuff" at the Plaza Market place to get rid of it. You can US any place as well. Be sure to get past the inside of the airport. Timeshare sales people are all over and allowed to yell and get your attention as if they have been waiting for you. GET OUT OF THERE, DO NOT TALK TO ANYONE, EVEN IF THEY HAVE A SIGN WITH YOUR RESORT ON IT. GET OUTSIDE!! That will be your "free pre register when you call the resort" ride. Not inside. Tip, I went over to the OXXO next to parking, went in and bought a 12 pack of Pacifico beer and two big bottles of Pepsi. 12$ US for all of it. Wanted that at GM when we checked in. Everyone on bus wished they had done the same, we had drinks right way upon check in. Needed it after long plane ride. Later we went to walmart. Smart move getting that right away. One final thing, I got the Google free "Translator" app, that was super. You can type or say things and it comes back in Spanish, it was super. If someone knows a better app, please tell me. The one thing I've never done is rent someone's timeshare down there

Last edited by a moderator:

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
Bob, Thanks for all the great insight and suggestions!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Welcome to TUG.

The Grand Mayan is a great place to stay. It was an awesome improvement from the Mayan Palace because of the deck. Personally, I would have preferred a larger deck and no cold dipping pool. We owned 4 MP weeks and 2 GM weeks for a long time and decided to trade them all in for 2 GL 2-beroom weeks because we do not need so many weeks now that we live in AZ.

We also go to the grocery and have things for breakfast & lunch. We do not spend a lot on the property, so the 10% off does not entice us to take an update. We are perfectly happy with what we have and have no intention of upgrading any more.

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Welcome to TUG.

The Grand Mayan is a great place to stay. It was an awesome improvement from the Mayan Palace because of the deck. Personally, I would have preferred a larger deck and no cold dipping pool. We owned 4 MP weeks and 2 GM weeks for a long time and decided to trade them all in for 2 GL 2-beroom weeks because we do not need so many weeks now that we live in AZ.

We also go to the grocery and have things for breakfast & lunch. We do not spend a lot on the property, so the 10% off does not entice us to take an update. We are perfectly happy with what we have and have no intention of upgrading any more.
Hi Phyllis, where do you go for groceries? We are going in March for the first time and want to know where to go. Thank you

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Hi Phyllis, where do you go for groceries? We are going in March for the first time and want to know where to go. Thank you

It is worth taking a taxi to Le Comer or Mega - they are across the street from one another on the highway to Bucerias. Le Comer is newer and is more like the "old" Mega that was bought by Soriana. I like Le Comer better. The taxi driver will most likely wait for you. You will need to pay for round trip and then tip the bellman to bring it to your room, but is still less expensive than buying everything at the resort. We tend to do this because we do not like to eat late - we can eat when we come back from the pool or beach and then just kick back. We do occasionally eat lunch at one of the restaurants or order room service and share.

When we stay at the Buganvilias, we walk to the Mega 3 or 4 blocks away and buy our stuff and take a taxi back the first day and then just pick up a few things as needed after that. I do make a list of what I plan to buy and have it printed off. When we used to go to Mondavi first, we would have them stop on the street and drop hubs off with the list and I would fo check in and then he would come in a separate taxi with what wee needed for the week. We get Pesos out of their ATM's as they are bank ones.

If we go to Vidanta after Buganvilias, we make a Mega run the morning we check out of Buganvilias so we can have everything when we arrive at NV.

You will have a great time. :)

Eggs and pastries are great. We always buy a rotisserie chicken to make tostadas with, good chips (Nortendas) and tortillas are available. The deli has great pico de gallo, avacadoes and limes. We make our own guacamole each day. Our family buys wine and margarita makings, we prefer Corona Light and the prices are better at the grocery. Hubs generally buys some ham and grated and sliced cheese to use for sandwiches or mix with eggs for breakfast burritos.

Last edited:

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
It is worth taking a taxi to Le Comer or Mega - they are across the street from one another on the highway to Bucerias. Le Comer is newer and is more like the "old" Mega that was bought by Soriana. I like Le Comer better. The taxi driver will most likely wait for you. You will need to pay for round trip and then tip the bellman to bring it to your room, but is still less expensive than buying everything at the resort. We tend to do this because we do not like to eat late - we can eat when we come back from the pool or beach and then just kick back. We do occasionally eat lunch at one of the restaurants or order room service and share.

When we stay at the Buganvilias, we walk to the Mega 3 or 4 blocks away and buy our stuff and take a taxi back the first day and then just pick up a few things as needed after that. I do make a list of what I plan to buy and have it printed off. When we used to go to Mondavi first, we would have them stop on the street and drop hubs off with the list and I would fo check in and then he would come in a separate taxi with what wee needed for the week. We get Pesos out of their ATM's as they are bank ones.

If we go to Vidanta after Buganvilias, we make a Mega run the morning we check out of Buganvilias so we can have everything when we arrive at NV.

You will have a great time. :)

Eggs and pastries are great. We always buy a rotisserie chichen to make tostadas with, good chips (Nortendas) and tortillas are available. The deli has great pico de gallo, avacadoes and limes. We make our own guacamole each day. Our family buys wine and margarita makings, we prefer Corona Light and the prices are better at the grocery. Hubs generally buys some ham and grated and sliced cheese to use for sandwiches or mix with eggs for breakfast burritos.

Thank you! You shared great ideas especially with making guacamole each day. Love that idea! I love guacamole

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to what Phyllis said, there's another store (maybe about the same distance as the Mega), but I can't remember it's name. It's on the main road there, but on the other side of the street.

We bought stuff at both. Mega is larger, though and has all sorts of things, the other store I'm thinking of is more like a grocery type store.

I LOVE the little mexican lime (I think they're actually key limes). They make the BEST margaritas (after having a *real* margarita, I'll never use mix again, LOL).
Some fresh squeezed mexican limes (the little ones), some simple syrup (you can make it yourself if you can't find it), Cointreau or Cointrey (they have their own mexican version it's in a green bottle just like Cointreau, but like $5 vs. $40 or something. Orange liquer). I couldn't find triplesec. And of course, your favorite tequila brand.

We think PV is probably the best/cheapest place to eat around (granted, only been to Playa and Cabo in addition to PV).

Not sure if they have the street fare or whatever every night, ,but in December when we had gone, if you walk down towards the Lady of Guadalupe church, there's a bunch of tents and outside food vendors there. We'd walk from the Sheraton (I'm guessing it's like a mile or a mile and a half down there), and get some dessert ( cheesecake, dulce de leche, tres leches, etc. mmmmm)

Then waddle back to the Sheraton.

LOL

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If you're staying at Buganvilias, I would also suggest walking up to the 5 diciembre market on the corner of San Salvador and Brasilia to get some fabulous fresh seafood. We really love the shrimp, which they will peel and devein for you there. There are a couple of fresh produce stands and a tortilleria there as well as a butcher or two for getting some really decent carnitas. It's nothing like a chain grocery store, of course, slightly less expensive and IMHO the good is a bit higher quality, but none of it comes already wrapped in plastic.

There's another similar local market a few blocks behind the Sam's club across the street on the south side. It doesn't have as good a seafood selection, though.

Also, you can get freshly sliced bacon by weight at the Mega at the counter islands in the back on the middle right hand side. It's behind the counter and you'll have to ask for it (tocino de cerdo). Same thing at Walmart, though it's in a different location.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
In addition to what Phyllis said, there's another store (maybe about the same distance as the Mega), but I can't remember it's name. It's on the main road there, but on the other side of the street.

We bought stuff at both. Mega is larger, though and has all sorts of things, the other store I'm thinking of is more like a grocery type store.

I LOVE the little mexican lime (I think they're actually key limes). They make the BEST margaritas (after having a *real* margarita, I'll never use mix again, LOL).
Some fresh squeezed mexican limes (the little ones), some simple syrup (you can make it yourself if you can't find it), Cointreau or Cointrey (they have their own mexican version it's in a green bottle just like Cointreau, but like $5 vs. $40 or something. Orange liquer). I couldn't find triplesec. And of course, your favorite tequila brand.

We think PV is probably the best/cheapest place to eat around (granted, only been to Playa and Cabo in addition to PV).

Not sure if they have the street fare or whatever every night, ,but in December when we had gone, if you walk down towards the Lady of Guadalupe church, there's a bunch of tents and outside food vendors there. We'd walk from the Sheraton (I'm guessing it's like a mile or a mile and a half down there), and get some dessert ( cheesecake, dulce de leche, tres leches, etc. mmmmm)

Then waddle back to the Sheraton.

LOL

I think it's the Ley supermarket you mean.

cricket

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mis-spoke. I believe it is the GB pool they are digging up. The MP pool is still intact.

cricket

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe they are tearing down Costa Arena to install the NV version of the Beach Club and Salum which is being called Amasol
I was told it would be on the other side of the beach near the new Punta 2. Filling in a pond for a new, "exclusive Punta 2" pool. Also wanted Punta 2 nearest to the new Salum area of entertainment & restaurants because they intend to also convert Sea Garden to another exclusive GL. So putting the new stuff on that side. No time estimates on any of this tho except Punta 2 due by end of year 2020 (but don't count on it!) I don't remember what they told me was going in where Costa Arena was. First all they would say was it was being "remodeled".

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
...........No time estimates on any of this tho except Punta 2 due by end of year 2020 (but don't count on it!)
I don't remember what they told me was going in where Costa Arena was. First all they would say was it was being "remodelled.......

....they intend to also convert Sea Garden to another exclusive GL......
Hi Cricket ,
Thanks for the update on Vida Sales scuttlebutt.

The Sea Garden conversion has been a rumour for at least 5 years .( and will likely remain one for some time)
I am sure that Vidanta management would like to increase the per unit income from the $600-700 *per week that
Sea Garden registered week contracts pay for MF .

The issue is that there are some pretty smart owners of these contracts who know what they have , AND use it-
to get away from winter . (We have stayed at the SG-NV twice in February on our MP contract) At the pool you get into conversations ,and meet folks
who bought 15 plus years ago and have never upgraded - because they like what they own AND refuse to give Vida Sales another penny ....

Those contracts are registered weeks for all 25 years ,and renew as registered weeks .
Now if Vidanta wants to give all those folks a yearly vacation at a one bedroom Grand Mayan for about $ 600 -700
on their RTU contracts -then they could go ahead and make the Sea Garden location a Grand Luxxe .

My guess is Vidanta will wait until enough of these owners are no longer able to travel (and / or) these owners let their contracts expire .

* a Sea Garden 1 bedroom / early 2000’s contract was $521 MF - in about 2016 - when I spoke to an owner .

Re : “ info “from sales updates -
Has anyone heard when Eastcape will open ?

(Always a good question to ask - when your Vida Sales presenter - starts to make too many "promises")
LOL

Last edited:

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
I mis-spoke. I believe it is the GB pool they are digging up. The MP pool is still intact.

We are at GB now. I don’t think anything is going to happen at the GB pool. Looks like all the construction is to the south (or left as you face the ocean) even past the MP pool. At the far south end of the pool, more or less above it, they have closed it off for construction.
I think the building to the north (or right of the GB building as you face the ocean) is a GM building. The folks on the side of the building away from the ocean will have the gondola looking right into their windows. There is a tower between the two buildings and it will position gondola riders looking down on the GM decks. It would make me feel uncomfortable, not sure if it would bother others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are at GB now. I don’t think anything is going to happen at the GB pool. Looks like all the construction is to the south (or left as you face the ocean) even past the MP pool. At the far south end of the pool, more or less above it, they have closed it off for construction.
I think the building to the north (or right of the GB building as you face the ocean) is a GM building. The folks on the side of the building away from the ocean will have the gondola looking right into their windows. There is a tower between the two buildings and it will position gondola riders looking down on the GM decks. It would make me feel uncomfortable, not sure if it would bother others.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is also an operations building* that is only about 2 stories in that area - anything happening there ?

* may once have been used by sales - years ago / When I went on the "Back of the House " tour in November
I think we were told it was being used for some part of operations .

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Cricket ,
Thanks for the update on Vida Sales scuttlebutt.

The Sea Garden conversion has been a rumour for at least 5 years .( and will likely remain one for some time)
I am sure that Vidanta management would like to increase the per unit income from the $600-700 *per week that
Sea Garden registered week contracts pay for MF .

The issue is that there are some pretty smart owners of these contracts who know what they have , AND use it-
to get away from winter . (We have stayed at the SG-NV twice in February on our MP contract) At the pool you get into conversations ,and meet folks who bought 15 plus years ago and have never upgraded - because they like what they own AND refuse to give Vida Sales another penny ....

Those contracts are registered weeks for all 25 years ,and renew as registered weeks .
Now if Vidanta wants to give all those folks a yearly vacation at a one bedroom Grand Mayan for about $ 600 -700
on their RTU contracts -then they could go ahead and make the Sea Garden location a Grand Luxxe .

My guess is Vidanta will wait until enough of these owners are no longer able to travel (and / or) these owners let their contracts expire .

* a Sea Garden 1 bedroom / early 2000’s contract was $521 MF - in about 2016 - when I spoke to an owner .

Re : “ info “from sales updates -
Has anyone heard when Eastcape will open ?

(Always a good question to ask - when your Vida Sales presenter - starts to make too many promises)
LOL

I hadn't heard the SG-GL rumor, but think it would have other significant problems. The Sea Garden room footprint isn't big enough for Grand Luxxe and it's too easy to get out of there and spend your money elsewhere. Even if they walked it off like the rest of the compound, there isn't a long drive in to avoid having people just walk out and they can't fence off the public beach.

Another potential issue with doing away with Sea Garden would be the "Sea Pack" addenda that exist giving some higher level owners additional weeks to use at Sea Garden.

Last edited:

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
There is also an operations building* that is only about 2 stories in that area - anything happening there ?

* may once have been used by sales - years ago / When I went on the "Back of the House " tour in November
I think we were told it was being used for some part of operations .

Not sure. They have that entire section of access to the beach and beachside pools cordoned off. There is one walkway open to the MP pool. Everything south of there is inaccessible. In fact you can’t get back into the resort from the beach side once you go south of the GM pool. All fenced off, all the way to the river. We could hear work being done in the closed off area, but couldn’t really see anything.
The way it’s set up is that, I think for now, the GB and MP pools are much less crowded. Up at the GM pools it is a zoo. We were up there a lot with grandkids for lazy river. Meanwhile down at GB and MP pools, open seats.
I’m sure it will be different next year once the gondolas are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woj027

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Wyndham Midtown 45
Not sure. They have that entire section of access to the beach and beachside pools cordoned off. There is one walkway open to the MP pool. Everything south of there is inaccessible. In fact you can’t get back into the resort from the beach side once you go south of the GM pool. All fenced off, all the way to the river. We could hear work being done in the closed off area, but couldn’t really see anything.
The way it’s set up is that, I think for now, the GB and MP pools are much less crowded. Up at the GM pools it is a zoo. We were up there a lot with grandkids for lazy river. Meanwhile down at GB and MP pools, open seats.
I’m sure it will be different next year once the gondolas are running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was your time at Vidanta, learn anything more about the construction? Could you tell if any of the smaller projects would be done this year? This spring? (asking because we are heading down for Spring Break - Last week of March)

cricket

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I also find interesting: The "GL" Jungle units are called GB Jungle with Interval. And the new "GL" units at NV are being called GMDeluxxe. I don't think I would want to pay GL prices for what I consider a downgraded unit.

Anyone have experience with this? They assure you that you will have GL privileges and be considered an "upgraded" GL owner. Then why not call those units GL?